Why Is It That AVP2 Is Not On Steam?

Started by g2vd, Nov 18, 2016, 01:55:24 AM

Author
Why Is It That AVP2 Is Not On Steam? (Read 9,080 times)

g2vd

g2vd

I've been wondering for a bit since we have AVP Classic on GOG and even Steam, why has Fox not attempted to get AVP2 on a digital platform and get more money out of it?

windebieste

It's...

not an easy question to answer.  Here.  Read this article. 'No One Lives Forever' is more or less 'AvP2's sibling in many ways.  Too many ways, actually. 

Such a cool game. 

-Windebieste.

x-M-x

Copyright LIMBO/HELL

This game ain't coming to STEAM anytime soon (might not ever)

Randomizer

If I got that right Monolith owns the engine, Sierra is the publisher and Fox owns the license. Having the game to go on Steam would require these three parties to come at an agreement which is nigh impossible.

x-M-x

Quote from: Randomizer on Nov 18, 2016, 07:35:46 AM
If I got that right Monolith owns the engine, Sierra is the publisher and Fox owns the license. Having the game to go on Steam would require these three parties to come at an agreement which is nigh impossible.

And.. can't honestly see all 'Three' sitting down in a room agreeing on this... 15 year old game is the least of their worries.

Lucifero

Lucifero

not everyone knows that another game shares the same graphics engine but not the same fate. I speak of the Tron 2.0 available on Steam.

windebieste

'TRON 2.0'  is owned and published by Disney.  It uses Jupiter engine; not Talon.   In this regard, aside from the fact it was developed by Monolith, there's not a lot common with 'AvP2' in terms of issues with the owner and publisher.  Considering Disney filled both these roles, yeah.  It would have been easy to get onto Steam.

-Windebieste

Lucifero

Quote from: windebieste on Nov 18, 2016, 09:37:04 AM
'TRON 2.0'  is owned and published by Disney.  It uses Jupiter engine; not Talon.   In this regard, aside from the fact it was developed by Monolith, there's not a lot common with 'AvP2' in terms of issues with the owner and publisher.  Considering Disney filled both these roles, yeah.  It would have been easy to get onto Steam.

-Windebieste
give a look
http://steamcommunity.com/app/327740/discussions/0/490124466459442150/

windebieste

That's nice, but I don't understand the point you are making.

-Windebieste.

x-M-x

Quote from: windebieste on Nov 18, 2016, 10:09:18 AM

-Windebieste.

He's trying to say Tron 2.0 and AvP2 are like identical in almost everything

- REZ FILES
- SAME SERVER SETUP
- DEDIT/WEDIT?
- DTX TEXTURES
- LITHREZ

Disney allowed it to go to steam, (Shame about avp2 though)

windebieste

The only thing in common between them is Monolith worked on both titles.  Even the game engines are substantially different. 

'AvP2' was owned by Fox Interactive (now defunct) and published by Vivendi (now owned by Activision).  It is run on the Talon engine which is 2nd generation LithTech.  It uses s a multiple detail level system to render the BSP.

'TRON 2.0' is owned and published by Disney.  It uses the Jupiter engine and is 3rd generation LithTech and uses a completely different set of rendering, basically renderblocks based on single level detailing.  It's a completely different system.

-Windebieste.

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: x-M-x on Nov 18, 2016, 10:11:31 AM
Quote from: windebieste on Nov 18, 2016, 10:09:18 AM

-Windebieste.

He's trying to say Tron 2.0 and AvP2 are like identical in almost everything

- REZ FILES
- SAME SERVER SETUP
- DEDIT/WEDIT?
- DTX TEXTURES
- LITHREZ

Disney allowed it to go to steam, (Shame about avp2 though)
yes is a shame
anyway in sercing for a  answer and looking for these phone numbers on google
no one lives forever 2 (italian)
&
alien vs predator 2 (silver italian)
02878511 fax 02878567
http://www.lombardiabeniculturali.it/archivi/soggetti-conservatori/MIAA0007A2/
I can try to contact and ask for more explanation.

perhaps there is a legal way to buy it.

p.s
i work in the field of public release i can could contact the agency in charge of copyright and ask if the terms of copyright maybe after 15 years prescription have fallen.
who know...

avp2 on steam a pipe dream yes
but the question is:
Who would be so crazy to buy your self game on steam?

8)

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Fox Interactive is dead in the limbo probably ingested within FOX or a subsidiary bought some of the shares and is poking around to speculate on it, who knows ?
Sierra got owned by Activision like Windebieste said and it's part of Vivendi group which is kind of the "European's Fox".

In other terms Fox and Vivendi are likely to clash on a copyright claim rather than join forces.

Add to that Monolith, now owned by long time fox Enemy Warn Bros.

I mean, I can't see Warner, Fox (or whoever there got a share on it) and Vivendi collaborates just a second ::)

It would make a perfect joke though, you know the kind of: Fox, Vivendi and Warner are sitting in the same room and...

------

EDIT:

There's also this huge problem for everyone outside of Monolith, it's their proprietary engine.
Many have tried to buy it, including Lithtech of Talon, we had good and friendly talk with people from Monolith but for an obscure reasons they've always never returned back a mail / call at some point like Warner Bros is locking the potentiality for a third party developer to work with the tools that belong to them.
It's more and more common this days among larger publishers.
EA is going the Frostbite way, no matter the developers (Dice, Bioware...) and others see the same path.
Only independent seems to find their way between the largely reputed unreal, cryengine and unity which offered a totally new type of market with the crowdfunding communities. It wasn't something that existed before since making a video games back in the 90s early 2000s was more exclusive and private. I'm sure big corporation lost touch and didn't saw that the market would slip off their hands forcing them to focus only on big titles and let the rest to peace.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed