Alien Covenant: The Art of the Film Is On The Way!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 08, 2016, 09:37:47 AM

Author
Alien Covenant: The Art of the Film Is On The Way! (Read 36,987 times)

acrediblesource

If I were Ridley Scott, that blurb would make me scratch my head too. Its such a cock rub. We know for a fact that Alien had many names attached to it, and it took many variations. There is a trinity in effect. In truth, Dan Obannon, HR. Giger. then Ridley Scott.

Skylark Duquesne

Quote from: acrediblesource on Nov 11, 2016, 04:13:42 AM
If I were Ridley Scott, that blurb would make me scratch my head too. Its such a cock rub. We know for a fact that Alien had many names attached to it, and it took many variations. There is a trinity in effect. In truth, Dan Obannon, HR. Giger. then Ridley Scott.
Absolutely right. Could never be stressed enough.
But Scott himself seems adamant on appropriating all the success of the film, more than he used to be. Why is that ? Why denigrate Giger's macabre genius when the derelict's exploration scene was the crux of the tale and could never have turned out so breathtaking without the Swiss painter's immense contribution ? Why the contempt for Ron Cobb as well, without whom the starship would never have been so mind-bogglingly believable ?
The strength of the original piece is O'Bannon's, read the Starbeast script and you should be convinced of this. (Well, maybe...) The class of the end product is Scott's merit.
By adding their own concepts, Hill and Giler added complexity but took some coherence and consistency out of Obee's work, just like Lindelof's output was a downgrade (and a resolutely ridiculous one at times) of Spaihts's unpolished but powerful and convincing first draft.
I hope the artbook is better and richer than the Prometheus one. Ben Procter and David Levy's online portfolios offer so much more lavish preproduction artwork than what could be seen in the printed version. Seemed just like the tip of the iceberg in comparison.
Any chance of getting a copy in a contest or some lottery ?...

SM

When has Ridley shown contempt for Giger, Cobb or O'Bannon?

Skylark Duquesne

Quote from: SM on Nov 11, 2016, 10:26:41 PM
When has Ridley shown contempt for Giger, Cobb or O'Bannon?
For O'Bannon I don't think he ever did, quite the contrary. I never said so.
For Cobb : in the Fantastic Film number 11 interview (back in '79), he spoke of Cobb as "Nasa-level advisor" and suggested that he much favoured the Heavy Metal approach. I quote : "To me, they had gotten into the future. They managed to put their finger on what could be. It's speculative, not futuristic, as Cobb's work was." Later he calls Cobb's sticking to engineering verisimilitude "dramatic knowledge". The subtleties of the English language may elude me, but it sounds pretty condescending as far as I'm concerned. Enlighten me if I'm wrong.
For Giger : when Prometheus entered preproduction he suggested he never was that fond of Giger's obsession with bones and dead things. I'm positive this statement appeared on the web because it knocked me down flat. Arthur Max's influence ? David Levy has recounted in a video interview that he and other designers had fought to maintain the Giger style despite Max's resolve to get rid of it.

Ultramorph

Looking forward to this! I love art books, and the one they did for Prometheus was pretty great.

Corporal Hicks

Quote@avpgalaxy @PauloDee17 There is one. Not me this time, I'm afraid. I'm busy with other stuff.

https://twitter.com/mark_salisbury/status/811569754385317888

Mark Salibury isn't writing this one.

echobbase79

That stinks, he did a great job with the first one. I'll still be picking this up though. I really like the Prometheus art book too. Especially, the images showing the Deacon running out of the ship at the end.

felix

SiL

Quote from: Skylark Duquesne on Nov 11, 2016, 11:00:02 PM
For Cobb : in the Fantastic Film number 11 interview (back in '79), he spoke of Cobb as "Nasa-level advisor" and suggested that he much favoured the Heavy Metal approach. I quote : "To me, they had gotten into the future. They managed to put their finger on what could be. It's speculative, not futuristic, as Cobb's work was." Later he calls Cobb's sticking to engineering verisimilitude "dramatic knowledge". The subtleties of the English language may elude me, but it sounds pretty condescending as far as I'm concerned. Enlighten me if I'm wrong.
Just sounds like he was saying Cobb was more interested in what was plausible and functional and the others were interested in less grounded ideas.

SM

Yeah I'm not getting anything especially contemptuous or condescending.

Corporal Hicks

This is available for pre-order now. Release date is the 23rd of May and Simon Ward is writing. He also did Aliens: The Set Photography and the Art of books for ID4 R and Kong.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alien-Covenant-Film-Simon-Ward/dp/1785653814/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1483456979&sr=1-2

Corporal Hicks

QuoteRidley Scott returns to the universe he created, with ALIEN: COVENANT, a new chapter in his groundbreaking ALIEN franchise. A beautifully lavish art book celebrates the vision behind the movie. Sumptuous artwork and behind-the-scenes photography reveal the design and development of the movie, including interior sets, outdoor shooting locations, technology - and of course, the Aliens themselves.

In Shops: May 24, 2017
SRP: $39.95

https://www.previewsworld.com/Catalog/FEB171976

Stolen

Wooow great cover art  :o

SiL

Dane is very fond of that head design. Rocks up in a few of his images.

acidreign

Is that the adult Neomorph? Cool as hell.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed