Happy Birthday (Aliens vs. Predator 2) October 31st 2001

Started by x-M-x, Oct 31, 2016, 12:21:07 PM

Author
Happy Birthday (Aliens vs. Predator 2) October 31st 2001 (Read 3,242 times)

PsyKore

Rebellion's AvP2010 has all the ground work and lots of potential, but it needs more time of development to become a properly fleshed out game. That's not to say it would be better, but I'd be curious to see what the end product would be like if they were granted at least some more time to work on the game. Unfortunately, Sega allotted more time and put all the money into Gearbox instead.

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: PsyKore on Nov 07, 2016, 10:26:33 AM
Rebellion's AvP2010 has all the ground work and lots of potential, but it needs more time of development to become a properly fleshed out game. That's not to say it would be better, but I'd be curious to see what the end product would be like if they were granted at least some more time to work on the game. Unfortunately, Sega allotted more time and put all the money into Gearbox instead.
I do not see any potential in the graphics engine used by rebelion.
maybe I could have had if the rebelion had released some official tool but do not ever be moved in this direction.
have you ever seen a first-person shooter where you can not crouch?
has been passed 6 years , how long  need for a sequel?
well in 2010 definitely the graphics could be good but it was not great.
for me be much more important is gameplay not the graphics.

426Buddy

I wasn't talking about avp2010, I'm talking about rebellions AvP1999

Le Celticant

I was barely playing AvP1999 when AvP2 came out.
I felt in love instantly and completely forgot AvP1999.

Partly because of the SinglePlayer at first which is awesome.
I mean, the script is great, very much in respect to all Alien films (more the Cameron side but, there are part in a prison, alone, some labs like A:R) and the environment delivered more than any AVP games before I think.
It was fresh and new built on the movies.
I think for example that the colonies in AvP2 looked more hadley's like than Hadley's Hope in AvP1999.
The SP had really achieved such an ambiant, I loved every bit of it.
I'm just sad the AI were no match with the intensive use of very basic trigger allowing no randomness with events.
Like everyone though, I just feel sad the character looked cartoony and the lack of support for Dynamic Light.

The MP on the other side has always been a shame for AvP.
I think no developer ever got it right.
It's always a too quick shooter in a very "open world" situation with maps that are fundamentally boring ala quake like.
It's nice for deathmatch arena pool poop game of blowing flesh with mortal combats move but it doesn't feel anything like Alien, Marine and Predator are fighting. I mean, they could replace Aliens with Devil / satan face and Predator with Angels / God face, nobody would notice it's an AVP game in every game.

I only started to really dig MP when AJL Mod came out, that felt really like playing an Alien, a Marine or a Predator, that coupled with the large and beautiful library of all the mappers for AVP2 compiled in the UMP2.
I still remember the games in dm_industry2, dm_jungle, mikeyshope and more.

Many many good memories and I'm sure there are still many to come.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed