Aliens Vs. Predator General Discussion Thread

Started by g2vd, Sep 14, 2016, 09:39:28 AM

Author
Aliens Vs. Predator General Discussion Thread (Read 6,576 times)

g2vd

g2vd

Just like the one I made for Classic you can discuss anything here about the game and stuff.

I finally bought the game for my PC after having enjoyed the game quite a bit on my PS3 and after fixing the rather awkward default key-bindings a bit I'm really enjoying it on the PC.

The Guns don't sound as cool as classic's gun sounds or feel as good but that's a minor complaint.

Vertigo

I keep trying to replay it, but can't find motivation to go beyond the first level. The controls are so clunky, and I hate that you can't change the FOV, that it's so damn dark even with the gamma way up, and that I can't mod the gameplay.

It's a shame, because it's an immersive shooter, and the creature design work is stunning, but I just can't get back into it. It's the polar opposite of what I like about PC games - little fluidity and negligible customisation.

g2vd

g2vd

QuoteThe controls are so clunky
I know right? I mean presses "Q" to Sprint? NOBODY. nobody does that, I mean the only control that makes sense is "F" for Flare.

Luckily due to the fact you can change the Key-Bindings it's no longer that bad these are what I changed them to.

Sprint - Left Shift

Walk - Left Alt

FlashLight - Q

Health Stim - T

Melee - V

Focus Mode - Left Ctrl

Mouse Sensitivity .63 (Both)

With these new Key-Bindings it really eliminates the chunkiness of the Default settings.

Quotethat it's so damn dark even with the gamma way up
Indeed, I get what they were trying to do and in many cases they do succeed, but they end up making it so dark at times you can't even really appreciate the fantastic looking environments because they are covered up by so much blackness. I mean the original Classic was dark at times but it was counter balanced by several bright areas and the fact you could deploy three White Flares at any given time and had Night Vision in the new one you don't have Night Vision and you only have one Red Flare to use, the darkness does look cool though.

And the Red Flare is pretty useless.

Randomizer

Randomizer

Haven't played it. Unfortunately there is no "trilogy" for me. Wishing this holiday would be a good time to pick it up.

EDIT: Played 5 or so hours on a spree with a partner at an internet cafe. We'd all be playing different species at all times. In that time I can say I've finished 4 missions for each campaign (I think?). Obviously short, but fun experience nonetheless.

Vow

I replayed the game recently, decided to collect whatever achievements I could in single-player, since ranked matches in multiplayer are nonexistent and so those will remain out of my reach.

While I have enjoyed a lot of things, I have to say I'm not fond of the Predator losing his cloak every time he attacks in melee. Previous games had you stay invisible and I liked that more. Another complaint is not being able to collect skulls from your kills manually rather than through specific executions and not getting a chance to hang up your kills, skinned, by their legs and leave them for the human enemies to find them.

I'm not sure why they removed the Xenomorph's vision from this game. Didn't mind it as the above-mentioned things, but still, I would like to have known their reasoning for it. The Xenomorph campaign was decent, but really short when compared to the others. I guess that's just because there's not much to do other than stalk and kill as a Xenomorph, whereas the Predator and CM have more concrete, more fleshed out goals.

Marine campaign was f**king great. Absolutely loved the first two levels, probably my favorites from the whole lot.

If they do another AvP game, I hope they don't continue where this one left off. I really have no desire to go to the Xenomorph homeworld. I can't really put it well in words, but the setting would really rob me of the joy to play there, not to mention the mystery around the Xenomorphs would be compromised by it.

BR1XER

I'd pop this game from time to time, if bored. It's best taken in shots.  :laugh:

Survivor on Hive and Tempest really do it for me. The latter is what Colonial Marines should've turned out as. Atmosphere was right on. Though multiple aliens performing attacks simultaneously is something that should be fixed.

I couldn't care less about the colonial marine weaponry sfx - as long as it works, which it does. Bursts on the pulse rifle is something every player I've seen has forgotten.

Really like this game, despite its flaws. I only wish my connection was good enough to play up to par on multiplayer versus the wall-tailing, plasma-spamming no-lifers that frequent every match.

Scorpio

I traded my xbox 360 copy a while back but recently bought a used copy.  I replayed all 3 campaigns.  The marine campaign is my favourite.  I like how it combines elements from all the films.  The graphics are truly gorgeous.  Gameplay wise it is not as good as AVP2, but decent nonetheless.  I just wish it was longer and the Predator had more weapons to play with.

PHANTOM

Recently installed the game after a long break from it. PC version is definitely where it's at, DX11 and the new 4K monitor this game looks amazing. Rebellion sure made this game future proof graphically. Just wish it had more content, always been my only flaw with it.

PsyKore

Each campaign feels like a demo for something better, honestly. The graphics are awesome but it still has an indie game look to it with boring simple level designs and prefabs everywhere. The "jungle" level was a joke. Ultimately it feels shallow and very cut-and-paste.

Gameplay was alright but it took a bit of time to get used to. I agree it feels clunky but some new mechanics like the Predator's jump mechanic was really good. The Alien felt like trying to manoeuvre a truck inside a tin can but it became ok with some practice.

If only mod tools were released; we really would've seen some amazing shit done by the community. It would've kept this game going for years and even decades.

Le Celticant

@PsyKore:
Pretty much agree with what you say there.
I was quite amazed at the time it came out with the graphics. But everything's else is a down.
I remember liking only the first missions of the marine as long as you are in the colony.
Then the game simply lost its soul and becomes too generic.

Considering how many copies it sold, I'm surprised SEGA dropped the support so early on the game.
There are barely any DLC and there must have been 3 patches ?

I would have loved so much to mod this thing. :o

Chris!(($$))!

I own it on Steam and play it every now and then.

I really wish they had released an SDK for it... We fans and the wonderful modders really could have pieced together some greatness.

Added better controls, more character customization, etc.

SamuelDL

I recently found this game in a thrift store and I could not resist. It was the steelbook edition, and at a very low price. I've been playing it intensively these days and I've finished it, and I've loved it! The Marines campaign is pure Aliens, the one of the xenomorfos is enormously original and Predator's must be the best franchise-based game. It reminded me of classics FPS like Perfect Dark or TimeSplitters. I do not know how I have not discovered this game before, it seems to me totally underrated.

BR1XER

Recently played the Predator campaign, and these two were what I found:

If you dismember an Alien with the disk, but don't kill it, it will crawl to you and grab your leg like in the Marine campaign. But as a Predator, you absolutely stomp its head in!

Upon arriving on the upper levels of Research Lab in the first elevator you take, in the room with the Matriarch's egg sac, run immediately to the left corridors towards the next checkpoint. If you're fast enough, you can catch two androids using a welding tool to cut open a door. If I recall, there were no other instances in the game where a welding tool was shown, not even with the marines.

g2vd

A quick question would you guys consider spamming the Disc in Multiplayer to be fair?

BR1XER

Quote from: g2vd on Nov 19, 2016, 10:30:02 PM
A quick question would you guys consider spamming the Disc in Multiplayer to be fair?

I guess, since it puts a big-*ss target on your back when you hand out grief like that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed