Alien 5 Or A New Storyline?

Started by g2vd, Aug 25, 2016, 09:36:32 AM

Choose

Aliens "2" (Blomkamp Project)
New Storyline
Alien 5 (Resurrection Sequel)
Author
Alien 5 Or A New Storyline? (Read 10,471 times)

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

QuoteFrankly, one person constantly encountering them does begin to get a bit too coincidental

If she gets involved voluntarily then it's not coincidental.  There's a 57 and 30 year gap between encounters, so it's not very constant either.

windebieste

windebieste

Ditch Ripley entirely. 

As for an 'ALIENS 2', sure Bring it!

Bring back Colonial Marines, absolutely!  Who doesn't want to see more USCM vs xeno action?  Is Ripley really that necessary to that end?  No.  What's more, 'She Who Cannot Die' makes no sense in a series of movies where mortality is a criticial theme.  Especially when she's already deceased.

Her story has been told.  It's over.  As a character she has nothing more to add except recycling what we've already seen.  The time to move on is long gone.  Fresh stories.  Fresh characters.  Please.  It's a big Universe and it should be treated that way. 

Pulse rifles.  Aliens.  Bring the action to another setting.  Now, tell you won't go see such a movie without Ripley in it.

-Windebieste.

irn

irn

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 28, 2016, 10:58:21 PM
Ditch Ripley entirely. 

As for an 'ALIENS 2', sure Bring it!

Bring back Colonial Marines, absolutely!  Who doesn't want to see more USCM vs xeno action?  Is Ripley really that necessary to that end?  No.  What's more, 'She Who Cannot Die' makes no sense in a series of movies where mortality is a criticial theme.  Especially when she's already deceased.

Her story has been told.  It's over.  As a character she has nothing more to add except recycling what we've already seen.  The time to move on is long gone.  Fresh stories.  Fresh characters.  Please.  It's a big Universe and it should be treated that way. 

Pulse rifles.  Aliens.  Bring the action to another setting.  Now, tell you won't go see such a movie without Ripley in it.

I absolutely agree. What's worse with a Ripley-fuelled 'ALIENS 2' is it would really sour the taste of the previous films due to the overexposure and forced plot to fit the character in. Re-watching the first three films would completely lose any tension and it becomes almost like a TV show where you know they're going to get out of whatever scrape they've got into this week.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Not that Alien³ or Resurrection had any tension...

Master

Master

They didn't ?

426Buddy

426Buddy

While I would agree that resurrection didn't really build any tension, Alien3 had lots of it.

Master

Master

Water scene had tons of tension.

Scorpio

Scorpio

And the scene with Gediman and the alien.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

I'm basing my opinion on the assumption that they're supposed to be scary horror films at their core.  A³ had the trappings of a horror film but focused on boring bleakness.  Ressurrection didn't even try.

Master

Master

Aliens also isn't horror per se.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah the those resurrection scenes were suppose to have tension, I would argue that they failed in that regard.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Without having any solid details on what the new story will involve, it's not really possible to give much of an opinion on this. Ripley 8 is certainly not ever going to return, since Weaver has said she doesn't want to portray that character again.

Quote from: Master on Aug 29, 2016, 01:08:56 PM
Aliens also isn't horror per se.

It can be argued that 'Aliens' actually has more horror in it than 'Alien' did. It's at least about equal. It's just that people tend to remember the explosions more (which is ironic, since the Nostromo's demise looked far more destructive).

SpreadEagleBeagle

New storyline would be nice but unlikely. I'm cool with an A:R sequel if done right. Uncharted territory. Has so much potential. Blomkamph's A2 (...A5 - sorry 'bout that!) doesn't interest me the slightest, at least if it's going to follow the premise and concept already presented to us.

Master

Master

@Xenomorphine

I haven't said Aliens isn't horror.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I voted new storyline, although to be truthful my choice would be split with a Res sequel. As naff as that film was, Ripley 8 has genuine potential.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed