Some new Memo Diaz Concept Art

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 11, 2016, 08:30:00 PM

Author
Some new Memo Diaz Concept Art (Read 2,632 times)

Corporal Hicks

So I was chatting with a concept artist on AvP2 a while back and he kindly agreed to post up some of the concept art as he found it and scanned it in. He posted up some artwork of the sniper today.

https://www.facebook.com/memodiazart/

QuoteAVP2/Aliens vs Predator 2: Bonus Round Redux.
The Rail gunner/Sniper.
One of the more difficult characters to define was the Marine Sniper.
He started off very much a Colonial Marine design and ended up much more unique and with some of the more hi-tech human gear in the game, in my opinion.
Here is some of the production process/ notes in creating him...

QuoteThis was my first take on this character. Most of the Colonial Marine elements are there, but he doesn't look intimidating or like a trained one shot/ one kill soldier.

I was asked to bulk him up or give him a more unique shaped armor. as seen in loose pencil doodles drawn by the Art Director... So it began.

QuoteThis was not correct either and looks kind of like Storm Shadow ( version 2) from G.I. Joe...

QuoteWe discussed the sniper having the ability to move/sneak around such formidable adversaries with amazing technology and senses.

Eric got me up to speed on modern day snipers and the gear they use.

A Ghillie Suit was mentioned, which is camouflage that Snipers use to conceal themselves in the open field of combat.
What would a future version of the Ghillie Suit look like?
That little line work on the left is what Eric drew to help me visualize what the suit's piping/cooling/circuitry system might look like....

QuoteI sketched away and tried to come up with something that stayed within the Colonial Marines' design, but stood out as different.

QuoteThe idea of the soldier being completely covered was ideal and some kind of "cooling" system to hide body heat, like in the first Predator movie, was on my mind...

QuoteAnother take on the armor. It was getting closer to what we had in mind and looked formidable.

QuoteThe back concept sketch and facial suit design.
Snipers aren't technically supposed to smoke as it's bad for their steady hands, etc..
Still, if I just took down an Alien or Predator, I might have a smoke or two.

This was a very lengthy design process and I really had to work through a bit of trial and error. I was very satisfied with the outcome.
I didn't design a lot of the Marines, but really am proud to have worked on the ones I did.
They were awesome cinematic characters from the Alien's movie version and we tried to really keep that in mind with each design.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Sure I've seen this before (years ago) unless this is new?

Not bad!

Le Celticant

Very nice found !
I'm an admirer for everyone who worked on this game.
It must have been hard and tense though.

My all time favorite worker (a level designer):

http://www.curiousconstructs.com/games/avp2/

The guy made switch.ed, he is DEdit God.

windebieste

These are great!  All that concept work - just for one character in the game. 

It provides an inkling of the amount of design effort that goes into a production like this.  Everything has to be concepted.  Well, most things anyway.  But even already extant elements we are familiar with such as pulse rifles and APC's need to be re-configured and re-designed, modeled in 3D, be optimised, tested, animated, have attachments function (which themselves have to concepted and modeled) and work as intended.

So much work goes into making a game that you just don't see or realise. 

-Windebieste.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: Le Celticant on Aug 11, 2016, 10:03:56 PM
Very nice found !
I'm an admirer for everyone who worked on this game.
It must have been hard and tense though.

My all time favorite worker (a level designer):

http://www.curiousconstructs.com/games/avp2/

The guy made switch.ed, he is DEdit God.

Yea, spoke to him via email not long ago, really nice guy.

He is Defo the 'DEdit GOD'

windebieste

Nice.  Get him on here.  We got questions...

-Windebieste.

Lucifero

Lucifero

Randomizer

Randomizer

Concept art for the Assault/Light Predator classes, Lucifer?

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 11, 2016, 08:30:00 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v130/Corpral_Hicks/13882698_1171388602934912_2960964296253430825_n.jpg

This is the only photo we've seen before and is included in AVP2's manual (if there was any, but it was for sure present in Prima's strategy guide).

Corporal Hicks

Some more Memo posted back in June when I first spoke to him.

QuoteAVP2: Medium Predator v2-Helmet design.
This head study was a playable character that was similar to the classic Predator from the first movie. Medium refers to weight/power/damage that the character's playable assets was defined by.

QuoteAVP2: Predator helmet designs.
A batch of unused helmet designs for my art director (the great Eric Kohler). It was early in the design phase and I tried some different styles.
FUN FACT:
This may be the first time anyone outside of the studio or game has seen this.
I believe these art pieces were only shown to the art department for approval or feedback.

QuoteAVP2: Predalien Head designs.( unused)
The hybrid Predalien was in the first video game from this franchise and we were asked to "refine" the design and concept.
A deadly head tail seemed cool at the time...

QuoteAVP2: Alien.
This was a special class of Alien warrior called a Praetorian, I think... Can't remember?
It was tougher than the classic Alien creature and I believe a guard for the Alien Queen or Empress?

QuoteAVP2:Light Predator initial sketch.
This quick comp was too bulky and had to be "leaned out", but was on the right track for a faster, lighter Predator. ( Shown here in earlier posts).

I think that is a rifle/axe combo weapon he is holding?
FUN FACT:
He wears a bandolier w ammo/ two pronged projectiles from the Predator 2 movie.

QuoteAVP2/Aliens vs Predator 2: Bonus Round Redux.
I forgot to add the final comp sketch after art direction for the medium Predator v2 design...So for the sake of continuity:
Here it is.
We will return to random nonsense next Thursday, but there will be more AVP2 in the near future.
FUN FACT:
I never got around to adding a spear or weapon into his hands.
The character texture artist for this game decided to Photoshop a sweet electric guitar into this Pred's hands as a joke.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 12, 2016, 04:49:59 AM
Nice.  Get him on here.  We got questions...

-Windebieste.

Oh yes... you do, i do everyone does.. lol he is aware of avpglaxy and avpunknown.

Not sure if he checks it often though (doubt it)

This man defo has some 'answers'  :D

Corporal Hicks

x-M-x

x-M-x

Nice!

I wonder does he have lots of avp2 stuff?

skull-splitter

I would buy books with this stuff

The Old One

The Old One

I'd love to see a book of concept art from that and the first AVP, but it's not a reasonable request 15+ years later.

skull-splitter

And seen Monolith went WB only...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed