What Were The Reasons Behind All The Changes?

Started by g2vd, Aug 08, 2016, 11:09:30 AM

Author
What Were The Reasons Behind All The Changes? (Read 3,181 times)

g2vd

So I just learned that when the Gold Version of AVP-Classic came out there were noticeable changes to the game the original actors were replaced, the blood effects were reduced, and violence in the cut scenes were censored.

Was there ever a reason given for these changes?

Olde

A) Original actors replaced. The original American cast of professional actors was replaced from AvP99 to AvP Gold Edition (2000). Gold Edition instead re-recorded all the monitor FMVs with the Rebellion crew. The reason, I suspect, was most likely monetary: since they were re-releasing it, the original actors would have to get paid again. They wouldn't have to pay the Rebellion crew extra (or at least, not much) for their time recording, since they were the developers, too. This is the most likely reason I can justify. AvP Classic 2000 is an AvP Gold port, and therefore it retains that game's FMVs. You can replace them with the originals via ModDB.

B) Blood effects reduced. Any change in blood decals between AvP Gold and AvP Classic 2000 has to do with the port job itself and is unintentional. You can change the blood decals in the settings, and you can also play through on a SuperGore mode that essentially doubles the gore to insane amounts in all versions.

C) Violence in cutscenes. The only cutscene that was ever censored was an original gory FMV showing a marine getting his head clean blown off by a shoulder cannon shot. While awesome, it is also incredibly graphic (bordering on hilarity) and also the first thing you see before starting the predator campaign. I'm sure Rebellion and Fox decided the cutaway was best and let viewers imagine for themselves what it must've looked like. As with the FMVs with the original AvP99 cast, you can also download the uncensored version of the cutscene via ModDB.

If you have a German version of the game, there may be censorship because of the country's strict video game policies.

g2vd

Quote from: Olde on Aug 08, 2016, 11:19:21 PM
A) Original actors replaced. The original American cast of professional actors was replaced from AvP99 to AvP Gold Edition (2000). Gold Edition instead re-recorded all the monitor FMVs with the Rebellion crew. The reason, I suspect, was most likely monetary: since they were re-releasing it, the original actors would have to get paid again. They wouldn't have to pay the Rebellion crew extra (or at least, not much) for their time recording, since they were the developers, too. This is the most likely reason I can justify. AvP Classic 2000 is an AvP Gold port, and therefore it retains that game's FMVs. You can replace them with the originals via ModDB.

B) Blood effects reduced. Any change in blood decals between AvP Gold and AvP Classic 2000 has to do with the port job itself and is unintentional. You can change the blood decals in the settings, and you can also play through on a SuperGore mode that essentially doubles the gore to insane amounts in all versions.

C) Violence in cutscenes. The only cutscene that was ever censored was an original gory FMV showing a marine getting his head clean blown off by a shoulder cannon shot. While awesome, it is also incredibly graphic (bordering on hilarity) and also the first thing you see before starting the predator campaign. I'm sure Rebellion and Fox decided the cutaway was best and let viewers imagine for themselves what it must've looked like. As with the FMVs with the original AvP99 cast, you can also download the uncensored version of the cutscene via ModDB.

If you have a German version of the game, there may be censorship because of the country's strict video game policies.
Ah, thank you Olde that explains it all.

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: g2vd on Aug 08, 2016, 11:09:30 AM
So I just learned that when the Gold Version of AVP-Classic came out there were noticeable changes to the game the original actors were replaced, the blood effects were reduced, and violence in the cut scenes were censored.

Was there ever a reason given for these changes?

I love the blood and the gold violence scenes

I wonder if the gold pack was given the label pegi
http://www.pegi.info/
but I believe that American laws are different from the European ones
http://www.pegi.info/en/index/id/26

I wonder what does the blizzard?
It is strange because the avp2 gold Italian pack brings the brand pegi 15+ not 16  :-\

the Italian gold version has indeed a different certificate

the strange thing is that AVP 2010 and AVP2 are present in this database but not the classic 2000

Randomizer

http://www.pegi.info/en/index/id/509

QuoteThe PEGI database covers all games so far classified under the PEGI system, which has been operating since 03/01/2003.

Odd since AVP2 was released in 2001, but I believe the Gold Edition (which was released on 30 May 2003, compared to 3 January 2003) motivated them enough to rate both Primal Hunt and the vanilla game.

BTW I love that blood effect on the top.  ::)

The Old One

The Old One

Very interesting.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed