PREDATOR Prequel Novel - Christopher Golden

Started by felix, Aug 04, 2016, 05:33:52 AM

Author
PREDATOR Prequel Novel - Christopher Golden (Read 56,774 times)

The Alien Predator

Quote from: felix on Aug 12, 2016, 12:06:11 PM
Just found out about this little titbit.
http://titanbooks.com/kong-skull-island-the-official-movie-novelization-8728/

I was excited when TIm Lebbon announced that he is writing the Skull Island novelization.

germanator2

Oi, why not just write a new Predator story all together?? If they go this route, it really begs the question where the bad Predator was the entire time. But you're really ruining a classic by doing this.

felix

The book is still a year off. I am sure they'll be more revisions till then.

SM

How is it being ruined?

Kaltes

Quote from: felix on Aug 14, 2016, 07:19:03 AM

Doesn't mean it'll be better though.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Kaltes on Aug 14, 2016, 06:14:31 PM
Quote from: felix on Aug 14, 2016, 07:19:03 AM

Doesn't mean it'll be better though.

Or it could be if they are careful with making sure it makes sense.

I think people are getting a bit too salty over this. Let's wait and see if the book actually is good or not first before we cast judgement based on a small synopsis which at this stage could be changed drastically.

Because the amount of salt in this thread is starting to get absurd. I can understand people having an opinion and not liking the way a synopsis sounds, but Jesus Christ, to sum up what I remember some people saying over the days - "this has ruined a classic", "I will never look at Predator the same way", "this is rebooting a classic film".

Guys, simply don't read it then, you'd be surprised how loudly your Wallet speaks to Fox. You can still enjoy Predator in the same way you always have. No one will take that away lol. If you like Anytime being there on safari alone, then that's your own enjoyment.

That's the whole beauty of this franchise, films come first and you can ignore novels and comics because those are supplementary materials. Some fan might be like "oh, this book states there's another Predator in P1? Interesting, I wanna check that out" while everyone else could freely ignore it and frankly not miss out on much.

This won't be as game changing for the entire franchise as say, Alien 5 and whatnot. The EU has always taken a back seat behind the movies. I mean, how many people actually read the books? There are more people who have seen the films, played the games and probably even read the comics compared to those who buy and read these novels. Novels do seem like a niche thing to me.

So you all have literally nothing to worry about! Let's wait and see if this book actually does goof or if it sucks, time will tell, not predictions. Alien: River of Pain was enjoyable to me so I am optimistic with the author here.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Nostromo on Aug 09, 2016, 10:49:47 AM
The geniuses at Fox already came up with something similar for the Allien side of things. Just read Out of the Shadows. Ripley goes on this whole bullshyte mission that takes place before the events of Aliens. Than is magically put back to sleep with her memory swiped.

Who is coming up with these ideas at Fox...good try but try harder..they have this need to tie everything to Alien and Predator as if they can't come up with another billion storylines from another billion parts of the galaxy. Seriously who comes up with these ideas at Fox. Let's pick up the phone and call him/her and ask them if they're ok.
While I agree it is unnecessary to do all these rewrites and "filling in gaps of time" between the major stories (i.e. movies), I must insist you listen to the Alien Out of the Shadows audio drama. It is absolutely fantastic and I hope more get made. It even uses plenty of sound effects from Isolation so it will be right up your alley.
Quote from: SM on Aug 09, 2016, 11:27:51 PM
Goodator's mask gets smashed, so when he beats Badator, he takes his.

Both Predators could've heard the laugh.
Are we really calling them that? Oh that is funny.
Quote from: happypred on Aug 11, 2016, 02:19:00 AM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 09, 2016, 08:09:19 PM

Imagine it ending with him clearing evidence of the Rogue's body, and then he hears chopper noises... the Hunt begins...

I would have no problem with this

Except I think it should simply be Cop tracking Rogue to a remote backwater hunting ground...Earth

Not a literal car chase in space
This would be interesting as well. I think they can truly make this work if done in the right time frame. Would be terribly silly to have them jump back and forth between Goodator and Badator throughout the events of the film. 

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Aug 09, 2016, 07:07:27 AM
im going to guess this was done because of the new movie. It's done to ease a similar plot element in the new movie.

I havent read the whole thread but did anyone make this joke, already?

New Alien prequel!

Kane's Son, an evil alien, was killing the crew of the Nostromo when the good alien, Big Chap, came in and stopped him.
He got tired and was having a bit of a lie-down but Ripley confused Big Chap with Kane's Son and killed him.
I had to go back and reread this because this is brilliant. If this new novel sucks, please print this post and iron it on a t shirt. I'll even buy one.

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 12, 2016, 07:27:55 AM
I'm hoping the synopsis is just unclear and it turns out that the rogue is the Predator who ends up taking out Hopper's men. The two Predators do their thing off screen and the Enforcer (or whoever) gets distracted by all Dutch's antics at the rebel's base.

Agreed...this would be fine

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Aug 09, 2016, 10:17:02 PM
Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 09, 2016, 09:12:43 PM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Aug 09, 2016, 08:49:36 PM
Yeah, I'll most likely be giving this a shot as I plan not to miss any books of this franchise. I learned that the hard way with South China Sea once it got to ridiculous prices.

Well what I mean is this, like... if you disagree on where they're going with the franchises, especially where they are, in my mind, more or less undermining the source material... why support it? I'm not ragging on you or anyone who wants to buy this and say it's good but... where do you draw the line and say no more?

The catch 22 is - you don't have the first idea about how this will turn out and whether it will actually undermine the source material and if it's actually an entertaining read - until you've read it.

That happened to me once.  The novel was entitled The Crystal Star.

SM

Quite.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Aug 16, 2016, 12:12:51 AMQuite.

Does this novel take place in the same universe as the SMTM-referenced EU works that you listed for me before?

Kaltes

Quote from: happypred on Aug 15, 2016, 04:53:11 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 12, 2016, 07:27:55 AM
I'm hoping the synopsis is just unclear and it turns out that the rogue is the Predator who ends up taking out Hopper's men. The two Predators do their thing off screen and the Enforcer (or whoever) gets distracted by all Dutch's antics at the rebel's base.

Agreed...this would be fine

Eh, it sounds a tad better.

RaZorbakk

RaZorbakk

It would be much better if  the novel was about how jungle hunter was in  the emerald forest teaching his young son predator how to hunt humans and how after dutch killed him the child yautja is raised by indigenous tribes  learns english and wears his fathers biomask  under his own mask. So that when he finally finds dutch after the major has settled down.  And had a family. He kidnaps shaefers  young daughter( like mid teens .same  age as the young hunter) he takes his mask off to reveal  jungle hunters mask and dutch is like oh shit.  But  he decides not to kill him because he has fallen in love with dutchs daughter. Seing mercy she falls for him as well and leaves with him on a ship he takes from area 51......... or ya know.  NOt f**k up predator cannon. And just give us the low down on what happened to hopper and his men.   . ignore me. Im grumpy as hell today.

g2vd

Quote from: RaZorbakk on Aug 18, 2016, 04:20:18 AM
It would be much better if  the novel was about how jungle hunter was in  the emerald forest teaching his young son predator how to hunt humans and how after dutch killed him the child yautja is raised by indigenous tribes  learns english and wears his fathers biomask  under his own mask. So that when he finally finds dutch after the major has settled down.  And had a family. He kidnaps shaefers  young daughter( like mid teens .same  age as the young hunter) he takes his mask off to reveal  jungle hunters mask and dutch is like oh shit.  But  he decides not to kill him because he has fallen in love with dutchs daughter. Seing mercy she falls for him as well and leaves with him on a ship he takes from area 51.........
Predator 5: Vengeance For Jungie!

By B-Rad G.

I would totally read that. :D

Yeah, though I still just don't understand why Fox has to keep going back to the original films. I mean River Of Pain at least had a reason to exist somewhat, whereas this Predator Prequel just doesn't in my opinion I mean really there's not much to tell besides jamming some stuff in the book that was never the original intent and nothing like the film showed.

Kaltes

Quote from: g2vd on Aug 18, 2016, 12:48:53 PM
Yeah, though I still just don't understand why Fox has to keep going back to the original films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXDwIo5_AMo

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed