Amalgamated Dynamics will create the Predator creature effects

Started by Darkoo, Aug 02, 2016, 06:14:27 PM

Author
Amalgamated Dynamics will create the Predator creature effects (Read 27,643 times)

Corporal Hicks

There's some wonderful shots of the Predators in AvP, especially when it's Whyte in the suit being focused on. The image of Scar I used in the news post, when the gang decloaks after Quinn takes a tumble and it focuses on Celtic in the lead. They didn't always look massively bulky.

YWN

I'm really glad Tom Woodruff Jr. (I assume Alec Gillis too), ADI come back for a Predator movie. Like many others I was disappointed in AVP 04 and AVPR 07, however I personally liked the practical effects of those movies with the Predators and the Aliens(except the Predalien). The effects they did in Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection where good too.

Richman678

I was really hoping someone would hire WETA for covenant or even The Predator. I guess there's always hope for WETA when Blomkamp finally gets around to Alien 5.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Richman678 on Aug 10, 2016, 02:40:41 AM
I was really hoping someone would hire WETA for covenant or even The Predator. I guess there's always hope for WETA when Blomkamp finally gets around to Alien 5.

I imagine we'll get WETA with Alien 3.2. WETA and Blomkamp go hand-in-hand these days. There's also Image Engine who work with him a lot. Really can't wait to see what they come up with!

Alien Fan

I don't care for ADI since they screwed up the designs of both the Aliens and the Predator for both the AVP movies.

Tube

From their perspective, it's got to be a bit frustrating to get blamed for design calls made by the director and/or studio. In that respect it's interesting to compare AVP and AVPR. Same Predator creators, different directors, totally different Predators. Whatever you think of AVPR, most people agree that Wolf was overall a vast improvement over Scar and co. Much more gracile, and most importantly the suit was way more conducive to Ian Whyte's performance. Even though it had to be done in the dark. And AVP had some good design elements- great bio-masks for example.

Xan21

Still they messed up the face... I know it was supposed to look f-ed up but it still looked lame.

HuDaFuK

People need to realise a lot of the faults with ADI's previous Alien/Predator work is probably largely down to the fact they were given very little money to do it.

Tube

Yeah I guess I have to admit Wolf's mug is my least favourite of all of them... He was good with his helmet on though. Shame he got relegated to janitor and teenager slasher roles...

Kailem

I wouldn't have been averse to KNB having another shot at the franchise as I thought they did fantastic work with Predators, especially on such a short schedule. But ADI certainly makes sense. I always enjoy seeing Tom Woodruff and Alec Gillis on various "making of's" on DVDs and Blu-rays (and online) talking about the creatures and suits from various different series, so it's cool that that'll hopefully be the case again whenever The Predator Blu-ray eventually makes it out (I quite liked their commentary track on AVPR, so another one of those wouldn't go amiss).

So yes, despite some questionable design decisions in the past (which, as has been pointed out, can't necessarily always be leveled at them), they have also done some great work too, so I think they're a good choice. I just hope the faces of the Predator or Predators in this one are more Wolf than Scar. ;p

And while I'm sure lots of us would love to see or have seen Legacy get the gig, I feel like they're just priced out of the running at this point (same reason I imagine Stan Winston Studios was never involved with either franchise past Aliens and Predator 2). So ADI is really the next logical choice.

Uncanny Antman

Color me disappointed.  They've yet to impress me with their Predator work, even though they improved on AvP2.

Sure, you can say that the problems were due to other people's decisions, but seeing as how AvP1 and AvP2 had different people calling the shots and ADI still underwhelmed, I don't think that it's unreasonable to blame them.

SuicideDoors

This movie has an a-list director in Shane Black, and that's so exciting. I think he's almost more of a guaranteed quality seal of approval than Sir Ridley is (well, in the here and now, I love you Ridley)

But ADI. Man. Great guys, love hearing them speak on the documentaries. But if they were evaluated on their Alien and Predator work alone, theyre outright terrible. Fabulous animatronics and puppeteers. But Alien 3 ASIDE, directorial creative decisions ASIDE, there work has been deminishing returns. I thought KNB did OK on Predators. But the Aliens in Resurrection, AvP and AvPR looked fake as shit; chunky slimey fat fingered suits

Would LOVE it if they knocked the ball out of the park on this one though. I'm rooting for them, but I'm highly suspect

Mister Skeezler

ADI hasn't exactly blown my skirt up either, but one thing to keep in mind, is that they're focusing on one creature (more or less, there may be more than one predator), rather than splitting their time and budget between a Predator, a bunch of Xenos and a Predalien. Hopefully that focus will allow them to really get it right.

Darkoo

ALEC GILLIS ADI CREATURE FX INTERVIEW
https://www.orbitaljigsaw.com/podcasts/supernerdsuk/79-alec-gillis-adi-creature-fx-interview/
QuoteOn this episode we have an extensive interview with Alec Gillis, a true legend in the field of practical effects. Alec and his studio ADI are responsible for creatures from Tremors, to Pennywise all the way to the forthcoming The Predator!

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Darkoo on Apr 20, 2018, 08:35:51 AM
ALEC GILLIS ADI CREATURE FX INTERVIEW
https://www.orbitaljigsaw.com/podcasts/supernerdsuk/79-alec-gillis-adi-creature-fx-interview/
QuoteOn this episode we have an extensive interview with Alec Gillis, a true legend in the field of practical effects. Alec and his studio ADI are responsible for creatures from Tremors, to Pennywise all the way to the forthcoming The Predator!
2 hours... anything Predator?  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed