Amalgamated Dynamics will create the Predator creature effects

Started by Darkoo, Aug 02, 2016, 06:14:27 PM

Author
Amalgamated Dynamics will create the Predator creature effects (Read 28,012 times)

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

It starts at 1h10 but it's absolutely nothing lol, except that they were shooting for promotional stuff recently and that it was a blast to work on this movie

skull-splitter

Well, ADI means we'll get a decent art and making of book, since they seem to be smart that way.

Other than that: I've seen stellar work from ADI and really cheap looking stuff, it all boils down to execution in that department. I did wish for less generic looking Predators, a touch of original characteristics goes a loooong way (see Lost Predators)

The Cruentus

ADI does excellent work and they seem like very cool guys, folks should check out their work on youtube where they show their original work on The Thing, before it was sadly painted over with cgi at the request of the studio heads.

This is a thing to note, ADI are not the bosses, they have to do as the director/studio tells them to and they do not deserve the hate/disapproval they get from some of the fans, as even the designs that are "horrible" either due to budget reasons or personal preference, is still something that most of us couldn't make, its still art and if it wasn't for our expectations, would be considered fairly good.

skull-splitter

That I know, I don't blame ADI for what happened to Scar's face, as Anderson requested a more regal and human looking, or as he himself said "more heroic" in order to sympathise with the character. So it's him I should be mad about.

But still, generic looks is not what made the first two films great.

Corporal Hicks

QuoteWhat was most important to you in this new version of the Predator?

Tom Woodruff: Movement is important to us, even expressions. A key moment was the test of the suit with Alec, and with Yuri, which makes excellent eye movements, very natural movements. It's the same thing that happens with a band: if everyone plays his instrument, if everyone makes only his, only noise is created, but if you play together you make music. It's a bit the same for us who have worked so long together and when we rehearse the director just ask "Give me the expression of surprise", does not need to go into the technical detail saying: "Raise the eyebrow, you do this etc. ". The emotion of this creature is very important for us, it is the most important thing.

How many head samples do you have?

Alec Gillis: There is a single mask that has about 25, 26 engines that move inside the head, especially around the eyes, all built in a very small area. These engines, as Tom said, are used to manage emotions.

Just some interesting bits from an Italian (I think) interview: https://www.badtaste.it/2018/08/06/excl-the-predator-i-guru-dello-studio-adi-ci-spiegano-come-nata-la-creatura/326633/

Wysps

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 06, 2018, 10:45:51 AM
QuoteWhat was most important to you in this new version of the Predator?

Tom Woodruff: Movement is important to us, even expressions. A key moment was the test of the suit with Alec, and with Yuri, which makes excellent eye movements, very natural movements. It's the same thing that happens with a band: if everyone plays his instrument, if everyone makes only his, only noise is created, but if you play together you make music. It's a bit the same for us who have worked so long together and when we rehearse the director just ask "Give me the expression of surprise", does not need to go into the technical detail saying: "Raise the eyebrow, you do this etc. ". The emotion of this creature is very important for us, it is the most important thing.

How many head samples do you have?

Alec Gillis: There is a single mask that has about 25, 26 engines that move inside the head, especially around the eyes, all built in a very small area. These engines, as Tom said, are used to manage emotions.

Just some interesting bits from an Italian (I think) interview: https://www.badtaste.it/2018/08/06/excl-the-predator-i-guru-dello-studio-adi-ci-spiegano-come-nata-la-creatura/326633/

Nice - I love this.  To see them putting so much effort into the mannerisms and facial expressions makes me excited :) Regardless of what ultimately happens with the movie, it'll be great to see what they do to make the Predators more personally accessible. 

Tetsujin

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 06, 2018, 10:45:51 AMAlec Gillis: There is a single mask that has about 25, 26 engines that move inside the head, especially around the eyes, all built in a very small area. These engines, as Tom said, are used to manage emotions.

It looks like this

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed