Amalgamated Dynamics will create the Predator creature effects

Started by Darkoo, Aug 02, 2016, 06:14:27 PM

Author
Amalgamated Dynamics will create the Predator creature effects (Read 27,915 times)

Darkoo

According to  imdb, Tom Woodruff Jr. (and probably his team)  joins the makeup department crew.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0940430/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr9

Xan21

Xan21

Mweh... their AVP Predators were absolutely terrible

Scorpio

Better than KNB's predators, though.

Johnny Handsome

I'm ok with this, Wolf was and still is an awesome Predator. I just think the Faces never looked as real as the Winston ones.

Xan21

Even Wolf is overrated, it's ok to have a scarred up Predator but the face still looked amateurish. The rest of the suit was good, but I don't like that knight-ish look... The Predator shouldn't have symmetric knight armour (that's what I like about P1 and 2 and even Predators) but compared to AVP it's a lot better.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

I'm fine with this. Shane Black is the ship's captain and the budget is big. They'll have more money and time allocated to them to deliver a quality look. 

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Aug 02, 2016, 07:00:33 PM
I'm ok with this, Wolf was and still is an awesome Predator. I just think the Faces never looked as real as the Winston ones.

Agreed. Wolf was great and easily one of the better Predator designs. Only issue I really had was with that I didn't think the faces and skin tones were quite right in the AvPs. Needed more moisture in my opinion. The slimmed down figure of Wolf worked great as well.

I'm happy to see ADI return. Especially if it's not on a quick turnaround film and Black gives them great design mandates. At the end of the day ADI did what the directors wanted. People complain about the bulky suits in AvP but that was what Anderson wanted.

TheBATMAN

And Scar's face, the plastic-looking wristblades and rubber dreadlocks were Anderson's choices too?

Never been an ADI fan and this whole 'director's vision' excuse shouldn't make up for the fact that their work on the alien franchise in particular has been poor overall.

I also wouldn't take IMDB as gospel either. I'd wait for a more official source.

Master

I'm OK. with this.  They must work more with their predator faces though. Both ADI and KNB botched closed predator mouth.

Scorpio

I actually thought Scar's face was pretty good for what they were trying to do.  Some decent animatronic work.

The elder from AVP looked great.

Wolf's face was barely visible in those few shots.

Predator_Spirit

If you pretend to make an "event" movie you better hire Stan Winston Studio. ::)
ADI can do the job if the director tells them he wants the original design back.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Predator_Spirit on Aug 03, 2016, 01:33:52 AM
If you pretend to make an "event" movie you better hire Stan Winston Studio. ::)
ADI can do the job if the director tells them he wants the original design back.
Not meant to insult your opinion but i'm sick of hearing this. For one, Stan Winston Studio does not exist anymore and a hell of a lot people who worked on the original movies worked on the AvP's with ADI... why? Because most of them are freelancers by now and are being hired when the right job comes along, the company doesn't matter. Even some of the guys worked on Predators with KNB, like Shannon Shea, even Steve Wang who was one of the key figures in designing the original Predator worked on the PredAlien for AvP-R, which is also loved by the fans  ::)

AvP's Predators werent perfect, by no means, but ADI still is one of the top players and they have the experience to get it right... or at least what Shane wants for his movie, they also worked with Ian Whyte before and are listening to the fans with social media, so they are well aware of the general opinion of the fans and what we consider a cool looking Predator.

RakaiThwei

Don't care who does the Predator suit, I just want to see a good looking Predator.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Aug 02, 2016, 09:48:52 PM
And Scar's face, the plastic-looking wristblades and rubber dreadlocks were Anderson's choices too?

Never been an ADI fan and this whole 'director's vision' excuse shouldn't make up for the fact that their work on the alien franchise in particular has been poor overall.

If Anderson didn't like the way they looked on screen, he'd have asked them to be reworked. Same as the designs we don't like from Alien. The Resurrection Aliens look like that because of story and the way JPJ wanted them made. That Newborn is a f**king terrible design but that's what JPJ wanted. It was an incredible feat of practical creature effects that shows.

The Alien 3 Alien looks wonderful. There's nothing wrong with that design at all.

I prefer Giger's Alien and Winston's Alien from an aesthetic point of view. I dislike the rubbery faces of the Predators in the AvPs but as I remember it (Omega will know better) they weren't supposed to look wet because only the bad monsters are glimmery and slimey. And TPTB that were the driving force behind Requiem aren't exactly a shining beacon of talent in Hollywood.

I'm confident that with Black's direction they'll get something more akin to the classical Predators if that's what he wants. Though I do think he wont get hung up over the minutiae of the designs. Doesn't really seem to be where his interest lies.

QuoteI also wouldn't take IMDB as gospel either. I'd wait for a more official source.

You should be hearing something soon.  ;)

locusta

Have to agree, and I guess ADI will do a good job here.

BTW, for a main reason the AVP Preds looked rubberish or fake, was the absence of slime/sweat (as to be seen allot of it on the face of the original one).

Not only wanted they to avoid a similarity to the Xenos (slime all over), but as well as it plays in a freaking cold environment, the lack of sweat or glossiness of the skin was chosen.

And it might even happen again, that a grant master of the genre and on of the sculpting fathers of the original Predator returns: Steve Wang.  He is always connected to ADI projects, so let´s hope for that as well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed