Predator: If It Bleeds - New Predator Anthology

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 02, 2016, 03:47:44 PM

Author
Predator: If It Bleeds - New Predator Anthology (Read 120,764 times)

Wysps

That's a rather plush chair Chief is sitting on.

BryanThomasS

Emotional support chair.

Hudson

I'm late to this party (got this book for Christmas nearly a year ago), but I'm joining it nonetheless. I think I'll post my response to this book in here, story by story, instead of finishing it and summing up the whole thing. My delay in reading it is that, following the Bug Hunt anthology, I did not have much faith in more Alien and/or Predator short stories, but everyone responded to this anthology with more enthusiasm than with Bug Hunt, so I'm going to give the book the benefit of the doubt to start with. There are a couple stories which require the reading of Turnabout and also the Rage War trilogy for more context, so I'll have to read those books before getting to the stories in If It Bleeds. That being said, the first story I'm reading is:

"Drug War"

Of anything in the book, a true follow up to Predator 2 is maybe what I was looking forward to the most when I heard about it. We still have never had a true "Predator 3" which directly follows the events of either of the first two films in the series. However, this story remains largely unsatisfying. Much of the piece is focalized through a protagonist other than Harrigan named Fernando, who along with the other new characters, is forgettable and uninteresting. His distinguishing trait seems to be that he quotes American action films in poor English.

The returning character, other than Harrigan, is Garber, from the OWLF team in Predator 2 (played by Adam Baldwin). In the film, Garber is a morose, imposing body guard, but now, somehow, he's become a verbose arms salesman. Not what I would have expected for him, and also not executed in a way which I felt was very believable. I just didn't believe it was him speaking any time I read sections with his dialogue. He was like a wind up toy who wouldn't shut up, which contrasted starkly with his presence in the film. I was particularly unsatisfied when Harrigan confronts him initially:

Pg. 358
"Holy shit!" Garber exclaimed, spotting something through his weapons's scope.

"What?" Harrigan asked.

Garber looked at him, recognition dawning in his eyes. "Harrigan? LAPD?"

"Retired two years now," Harrigan replied with a nod. "Garber?"

Garber grunted and handed him the weapon, pointing high on the hillside where a building burned.

Likewise, I also found Harrigan's presence in the story to be inhabited in a similarly flat and unsatisfying way. There's a noticeable lack of interior access to any specific or substantial memories recalling his prior encounter with the Predator in Predator 2. His best friend was murdered along with another member of his detective team. The other member of his team, Leona (who in the story is referred to as Leon), was traumatized to the point of fainting. I would imagine that there would be quite an emotional impact to Harrigan experiencing another encounter with a Predator, but he doesn't seem to mind much. What about the time when he left King Willy moments before a Predator came and killed him? Why doesn't he think about that at all? Is his memory that short sighted? The moment when Harrigan does recall these prior people and events, we pass over it all so quickly that it becomes an afterthought:

Pg. 370
It was all too familiar, Harrigan's memory flashing back to images of Los Angeles--gang wars, the streets, Leon Cantrell, Danny Archuletta, Jerry Lambert, even his old Captain Pilgrim. Archuletta and Lambert had been killed by a Predator in LA years ago during Harrigan's last encounter with one.

The misnaming of a character aside, what about Deputy Chief Heinemann? If the authors of this story had read the Predator 2 novelization to gain more insight into the characters of Predator 2, then this guy wouldn't have been left out. All of these additional characters feel absent from this story. Heinemann, Cantrell, and Pilgrim all survived the events of the movie. Where are they now and what are they doing? Why aren't they part of this? The missed opportunity to follow up directly with characters from the movie contributed to my overall unsatisfied response to the piece.

Honorable mention goes to this use of figurative language:

Pg. 361
They stuck out like a bad perm in a sea of salon-styled hair.

Voodoo Magic

@Hudson

I share your disappointment. There's a lot of great stories in this Anthology, and the one I was looking forward to the most was the biggest disappointment.

When ex-cop Harrigan spoted ex-owlf Garber at a gun show so many years later, and being so much older, how I craved for them to call a truce, grab a beer together, and talk.  There's only a few people in the world who can have a conversation about a Predator, who can talk about what happened in LA. Who can truly understand what was gained and what was lost. There's stuff both probably have kept burried deep inside for a long time.  And to explore none of this, and instead opt for a backstory on a comic relief character named Fernando who wants to be a movie star, was such a missed opportunity.  It still makes me sad. :'(

Uncanny Antman

It wasn't quite was I was hoping for either, but let's not piss on it too much.  Bryan was nice enough to join us here, so let's try not to run him off with excess negativity.  :)

yautjapet

yautjapet

I'm late to this, but I thought I'd add my two cents anyway! I really enjoyed this anthology. I've read a lot of Predator books, and my personal problem with them is that they tend to get bogged down in the full-length plot about the usual soldiers or colonial marine characters, and frankly that's just not what I'm here for. The short story format works well by focusing on the human/pred encounters - the good stuff. Some of the stories are mediocre, but most are good, and I really appreciated the variety of settings and situations we got, as well as the several stories that gave us a big chunk of predator perspective. That's hard to come by in pred content and I was thrilled to see it. (Yeah, I'm one of those fans who loves delving into Predator culture and their personalities as individuals.) Skeld's Keep was the shining stand-out for me, and Three Sparks is also great. I dig the historical settings, as well as alternatives to the usual "mysterious predator hunting humans" formula, and I'd love to see both explored more in future pred content.

Hudson

"Last Report from the KSS Psychopomp" by Jennifer Brozek

I went to this one next because the title sounded interesting (although I would've gone with Final Report of the KSS Psychopomp). I assumed it'd be something futuristic/spaceship-related, and I was right. We follow, I believe, a salvage team as they investigate a particular area of space to make claims on old spaceships. If I'm missing out on details, it's because the stakes are established in kind of a blurry, foggy way.

The story begins with dialogue, heavily used, so it took a while for me to ground myself spatially. I generally didn't have much to go on in terms of what anything looked like or what anyone looked like. The setting and characters' physical traits remained nebulous to me throughout. This doesn't "make things open to interpretation for the reader;" it leaves the details shrouded in vagueness. A piece of writing is an idea communicated to the mind of a reader. Stephen King writes this himself in his own craft book On Writing, and he's a genre writer so there's not really a genre-based defense against this criticism. If writing is telepathy, I need to have the author's idea thoroughly cultivated on the page via words, not implications, so I can absorb that idea in the way they described it. Anything else is an excuse to not do the hard work of conveying concrete images in writing.

I also am not sure who the main character is meant to be, or who's meant to be focalizing the story. There are tiny bits of interior access, indicating an omniscient narrator, but this was pretty distancing whereas close access to one person would've been more compelling and engaging. Main thing about the story was that I just didn't care. The writing didn't teach me what or who to care about at the beginning of the story, or why. I only know that the people alive at the end are the most important because they survived. And when the Predators appeared, I was similarly underwhelmed. Here is a paragraph on the physical description that probably won't blow you away:

pg. 171
QuoteThe blurred air solidified into a humanoid creature at least two meters tall. It had reptilian skin, a broad chest, clawed hands, and a huge head with dangling appendages. Most terrifying were its red eyes and mandible mouth. It was covered in armor, weapons, bones, and other unidentifiable things. It flared its lower mandibles.

The preceding paragraph could be describing almost any creature in any universe. I emboldened a particular phrase which was a pretty obvious cop out. Instead of describing any specific visual details, giving us any type of image at all, Brozek's description amounts to "it couldn't be described." That's a cop out for a writer.

Overall it was an unaffecting, unsatisfying story. I'll probably move on to SD Perry's story next.

QuoteWhen ex-cop Harrigan spoted ex-owlf Garber at a gun show so many years later, and being so much older, how I craved for them to call a truce, grab a beer together, and talk.  There's only a few people in the world who can have a conversation about a Predator, who can talk about what happened in LA. Who can truly understand what was gained and what was lost. There's stuff both probably have kept burried deep inside for a long time.  And to explore none of this, and instead opt for a backstory on a comic relief character named Fernando who wants to be a movie star, was such a missed opportunity.  It still makes me sad. :'(

I'm assuming the missed opportunities stem from the editor/publisher soliciting people who aren't really that interested in this universe, and who were given maybe a week to write one draft of their contribution.

==========

Rematch by Steve Perry

This was a pretty decent story for the most part, certainly my favorite in the book of the three I've read so far. If felt satisfying as a follow up to Perry's novel, Turnabout, in that he continued to be successful in the way he captures a variety of interior voices while writing in third person, which I think is a fairly advanced technique. It was fun to return to Sloane and Mary Collins again, and the new characters introduced felt like they fit into the same tone, the same world that Perry created for Turnabout. It was a true, satisfying sequel. I also really enjoyed the parallel of a man/woman partnership of hunters as Sloane and Collins represent a human man/woman partnership. It was a cool comparison, contrast.

My only gripe with the story is that halfway through it converts to mostly uninteresting physical action and then dialogue paced very quickly without balance of interior access/physical description. The final scene also ends on a line that serves as more of an eye-wink style punchline rather than a true closing to the narrative, which is cute, but hollow.

Huggs

Huggs

We need a volume 2.

ASAP

It's the literary community that's keeping these universes alive, not to mention entertaining. The books are running laps around the films.

And yes, rematch was my favorite by far. Well grounded, but still exciting.

Voodoo Magic

Agreed. Rematch was aces!

HuDaFuK

Ironically Rematch was one of my least favourites in the collection. I don't think I get on well with Perry, Sr.'s style and prose.

Hudson

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 12, 2019, 09:16:33 AM
Ironically Rematch was one of my least favourites in the collection. I don't think I get on well with Perry, Sr.'s style and prose.

One criticism or at least observation I have with him is that he describes everyone peeing at some point. He's totally fixated on it. He did it for nearly every character in Turnabout and then even I think in Rematch. There's at least one really awkward moment in Nightmare Asylum where this comes up too.

The Old One

The Old One

???

Samhain13

lol wut.

Huggs

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 14, 2019, 02:13:53 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 12, 2019, 09:16:33 AM

One criticism or at least observation I have with him is that he describes everyone peeing at some point. He's totally fixated on it. He did it for nearly every character in Turnabout and then even I think in Rematch. There's at least one really awkward moment in Nightmare Asylum where this comes up too.

"When you gotta go, you gotta go".

BryanThomasS

BryanThomasS

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 11, 2019, 11:51:28 PM
We need a volume 2.

ASAP

It's the literary community that's keeping these universes alive, not to mention entertaining. The books are running laps around the films.

And yes, rematch was my favorite by far. Well grounded, but still exciting.

Trying to get one made. I have been on it for two years, authors all lined up, but Titan freaked out when the movie failed. We shall see. Writers have to have a year to write stories. Arnold Schwarzenegger is actually interested in contributing, his people approached me, but negotiations are complicated. If it goes, the next volume will have a direct sequel to the original with Dutch, a prequel story for Dutch and team, female predators, and another Predator 2 sequel along with a bunch of stuff.

For those of you who enjoyed If It Bleeds, If anyone is interested, I have an action packed novel with snarky humor kinda like 48 Hours or Lethal Weapon meets Bosch and Asimov's City Of Steel about a tough, Luddite Kansas City cop forced to team with an android to solve his partner's murder. I think my Predator fans will really enjoy it. Here's information AND you can read a 3 chapter preview. https://boralisbooks.wordpress.com/simon-says/

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Jan 13, 2019, 09:47:22 AM
It wasn't quite was I was hoping for either, but let's not piss on it too much.  Bryan was nice enough to join us here, so let's try not to run him off with excess negativity.  :)

Those who choose to be rude and insulting show their ignorance and I employ the ignore feature. I just don't have time for it. They lose the privilege of interacting with me. I worked hard, my writers worked hard, we wrote our visions and Fox approved. No one is going to like everything but we earned our spots in this and no one else is doing what I am doing trying to keep this alive. So if they can't be gracious but are ingrates, I don't bother with them. I am fighting hard to keep more Predator books coming and believe me, right now I am losing. This kind of vocal negativity is one reason why. The number one reason I came on here was to find out what fans really want and try to provide that in the future. But the criticism and comments that are useful are productive and not rude and disrespectful,

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed