Predator: If It Bleeds - New Predator Anthology

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 02, 2016, 03:47:44 PM

Author
Predator: If It Bleeds - New Predator Anthology (Read 120,585 times)

BryanThomasS

BryanThomasS

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Dec 06, 2017, 06:14:13 PM
What's your opinion on the Hish, Bryan? How would you say they fit with the Yautja?

You could go a lot of ways with the Hish. If I do another antho, I'd like to establish them as different races or classes of Predators. To me that makes the most sense based on what they did in Predators and some of the comics. And I would rather unite existing canon as logically as possible to tie things better together than contradict it.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: BryanThomasS on Dec 06, 2017, 07:14:09 PM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Dec 06, 2017, 06:14:13 PM
What's your opinion on the Hish, Bryan? How would you say they fit with the Yautja?

You could go a lot of ways with the Hish. If I do another antho, I'd like to establish them as different races or classes of Predators. To me that makes the most sense based on what they did in Predators and some of the comics. And I would rather unite existing canon as logically as possible to tie things better together than contradict it.

I'm glad you try to unite things as logically as possible. There's lots of rich lore to explore.

BryanThomasS

BryanThomasS

The richness of the lore is a big part of what I love about it. Arguing whose version of predators is right or better is a petty waste because like humans, individuals will vary greatly, and to me that just makes it both more realistic and interesting. Plenty of room for variety. I also want to add that I appreciate those of you who may disagree with my taste but can still do so with respect. It is really impossible to please everyone with every story or decision, so I don't even try but I do hire the best writers I can and push them to give me their best.

The Alien Predator

Exactly, the Predators are a species of individuals, so there's lots of room to explore the diversity that each of them would have.

I remember reading somewhere that Hish clans would fight because of disagreements in their culture, even something really trivial like how to take a trophy properly and this is something that has destroyed entire alliances between clans who tried to join together. We see differences in the movie 'Predators' between two clans and how they're implied to be in a blood feud.

I love this diversity. I love how Rage War says they got different languages like we do, they got difference accents and dialects like we do.

Another thing I picked up in Rage War was how Kalakta's clan had a bit of Celtic roots in their mannerisms which Isa Palant noted. Our languages have roots in older languages. The Predators have hunted here for a very long time and some may have been observing and picking up certain quirks and nuances that they liked and took home.

We even see this with "ooman", they must've liked the sound of the English word for 'human' and have adopted it into at least one of their languages. Others would have an entirely different name for us just how we have very different names for ourselves in different languages.

Have you played the AvP2010 game? In the Predator campaign, you hear bits of their language and it's incredibly alien to listen to. It's a lot like Rage War, where it's said humans cannot physically replicate some of their words, only Synthetics could do it due to being able to contort their throat muscles to do so.

BryanThomasS

Sadly, I have yet to play any Predator related games.

Xenomrph

Quote from: BryanThomasS on Dec 06, 2017, 10:23:53 PM
Sadly, I have yet to play any Predator related games.
You're missing out, 'Predator Concrete Jungle' is a good time and arguably does the best job out of any Predator related media to really flesh out an interesting "Predator character". It's also got a ton of fun easter eggs, it's a hoot. Seeing a story in a future anthology that referenced it or somehow tied into it would be a blast.

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Dec 06, 2017, 08:31:54 PM
Exactly, the Predators are a species of individuals, so there's lots of room to explore the diversity that each of them would have.

I remember reading somewhere that Hish clans would fight because of disagreements in their culture, even something really trivial like how to take a trophy properly and this is something that has destroyed entire alliances between clans who tried to join together. We see differences in the movie 'Predators' between two clans and how they're implied to be in a blood feud.

I love this diversity.
Ditto, it's really refreshing in a landscape of Star Wars/Star Trek sci-fi where every member of a given species is expected to act in a certain manner, and breaking from species tradition is portrayed as a "big deal". Even just within just the first two Predator movies we see that Predators all look unique, with their own styles of armor, weapons, masks, even skin coloration and patterns.
It gives authors a lot of freedom to change up Predator behavior and make them unique without feeling like they're immediately "breaking canon" or something, although I think the Hish stuff kind of stretched it for people. Even then it really wasn't because of the Hish behavior, but more of the descriptions of their biology which didn't seem to jive with earlier portrayals.

BryanThomasS

I have no game console and a simple laptop. Not even sure I can play CJ but will investigate.

happypred

Quote from: BryanThomasS on Dec 06, 2017, 12:09:06 PMBesides, based on your review trashing many of my writers, including me, we clearly have very different taste in writing styles.  I happen to love pulp style storytelling.

Don't think of it as "trashing"...think of it as one Predator fan giving you honest criticism with zero sugar-coating.

I praised what I thought was good and criticised what I thought was lacking...in a few cases very lacking.

South China Sea is generally regarded as the best Predator novel by the fanbase on this forum...so I'm not the odd one out here. Other writers dipping into the universe may (or may not) wish to take note of what makes South China Sea so well-liked. It's a good benchmark. You are of course free to ignore or try something radically different.

BryanThomasS

BryanThomasS

You could state your opinions without insulting writers and the editor. You just choose not to have tact. And I bring it up because if you want to interact with other creatives, it is worth working on. I can give reviews without being insulting and still be honest. So could you. Some writers would not be as nice as I am. Thankfully, you are a minority it seems in your opinions and lack of tact. Though happy seems a bit of a misnomer. Please take the hint. Not going to discuss it further.

As for SCS, so?  Others like it, I am well aware. You asked my opinion. Now that part you asked with more pinache and tact. See?  You got it in ya. Thank you.

happypred

happypred

Quote from: BryanThomasS on Dec 07, 2017, 07:37:27 AM
You could state your opinions without insulting writers and the editor. You just choose not to have tact. And I being it up because if you want to interact with other creatives, it is worth working on. I am nicer than many about such things. Thankfully, you are a minority it seems.

As for SCS, so?  Others like it, I am well aware. You asked my opinion. I don't need to be told what I should note. Jees.

I am not telling you to do anything. Please read my post more carefully.

Where did I insult you personally or one of your writers? Quote me please, and I'll apologise if I actually threw an insult. My comments were limited to my own opinion on the quality of the writing.

I agree that tact is very important...I am very tactful with my boss for obvious reasons. I don't have to be tactful in an online review. To put things in perspective, my review of If It Bleeds is less scathing than many reviews of the The Justice League. I don't think I ever resorted to personal insult.

My advice to you...please grow some thicker skin. It is worth working on. It's not very becoming to lash out simply because your anthology got a mixed review from me. I actually said in the end that I hoped this wouldn't be the last anthology, i.e. there is room for improvement but more is welcome.

EDIT: Here's my full review for everyone to see and judge. Yes, it's blunt but if you all think it's insulting, perhaps I am the one in the wrong...

Quote from: happypred on Nov 21, 2017, 06:44:34 AM
These are my personal opinions of all the stories. These are not in-depth reviews...rather, just my brief thoughts on how much I liked each story.
Spoiler
DEVIL DOGS: Decent story. The Yautja in this story comes across as much deadlier than those in Predator Incursion, despite the powerful human weaponry of the 2600s. The actual plot is a bit forgettable. Haley deals with her substance addiction and psychological issues. Not bad, not great. 

STONEWALL'S LAST STAND: Decent story. Reminded me of Hell Come A-Walkin' in a good way.

REMATCH: I didn't like some aspects of Turnabout. This was worse IMO for the reasons explained above.   

MAY BLOOD PAVE MY WAY HOME: Good story. Interesting premise with human-sized predators (presumably adolescents or pre-adolescents) engaging in gladiatorial combat with Buffalo Soldiers. Nice little twist at the end. Liked it.

STORM BLOOD: Decent story. The choice of prey was interesting. I was expecting predator vs. national guard . . . thankfully, that wasn't the case.

LAST REPORT FROM THE KSS PSYCHOPOMP: Utterly forgettable with disjointed writing. Silly dialogue, forgettable action, forgettable characters. I think this writer is new and it shows. 

SKELD'S KEEP: A gem. Simple, effective, and flavourful. Reminded me of Aliens Stalker in a good way. The human characters are actually pretty cool. Vikings come off as hardened warriors and truly worth prey. The predators do stumble but they're novices. I do like how the novices in this story are not your typical Unblooded Yautja, but are rather freshly Blooded Yautja who have a bit more skill than total amateurs. 

INDIGENOUS SPECIES: Decent story. Not bad, not great. Reminded me of the ranchers on Ryushi. The predators come across as powerful hunters, but the human element is a bit lacklustre. Nothing too memorable, just a serviceable story. 

BLOOD AND SAND: Absolutely terrible. Predator meets Grapes of Wrath meets domestic abuse. Little kids wondering around in the desert.
I appreciate that the writer was trying something new, but it didn't work for me at all. The childish tone (written from the kiddy protagonist's perspective) was a chore to slog through and unintentionally comical.

TIN WARRIOR: Decent story showcasing a resourceful predator antagonist/anti-hero. Reminded me of Predator Captive in a good way.

THREE SPARKS: Good story. We've always wanted predator vs. samurai...well, now we have it (in addition to some comic book scenes IIRC). My only gripe is I don't think a Yautja hunter would avoid close combat with samurai and opt to spam plasma bolts...merely because it lost a finger in a previous duel. Perhaps this hunter was young or simply less faithful to Yautja notions of sportsmanship.

THE PILOT: A gem. Well-written and a cool twist. Some of you might have seen the twist from a mile away, but it pleasantly surprised me. This is the kind of team-up I'll get behind.

BUFFALO JUMP: Forgettable. Nothing really stood out. Predator meets the Wild West, but nothing really popped for me.

DRUG WAR: A lot of running, shooting...not much substance. The flamboyant Brazilian character felt pointless and absurd. Garber was wasted. I know writers aren't trying to win the Nobel Prize for Literature with predator fiction...but this felt like a bunch of action with no brain...coasting on fans' nostalgia for Predator 2. I mean, it's serviceable but I expected more.   

RECON: Decent story. Suitably intimidating predator slaughtering VietCong freedom fighters and American invaders alike (Hehe...see what I did there?). Not bad, not great...but still entertaining.

GAMEWORLD: A gem. Well-written with a memorable human protagonist and even a memorable human antagonist. The author has some skill and is good at writing combat. This feels like the least phone in entry. A nice combination of the captive concept with the Predator father-son duo concept. Well-executed. A slight gripe is it could have done without the Yautja-on-Yautja slapping and hugging.
[close]

There you have it. Predator If It Bleeds is a decent first (hopefully not last) anthology. Would like to hear other posters' thoughts on any of the individual stories. 

BryanThomasS

BryanThomasS

I am done discussing it. Obviously "a bunch of action with no brain" was not meant as insulting.

I have a plenty thick skin. As evidenced by the fact I have gracefully accepted without comment every other review but yours. I am kind and respectful and try to express my opinions so that they are also. I merely offered the advice you should try the same. Because we are all fans here. Opinions do not have to be expressed in rude ways to be honest or direct.  I will move on now. No further discussion is warranted. And I have said all I have to say on that matter.

To everyone else, my apologies for not just letting it lie. Finding this forum and interacting with you all has been a blessing and encouragement. I take what you say very seriously, even if I disagree. And I have discussed elements of it with my editors, writers, etc for future projects. So thank you.

happypred

Quote from: BryanThomasS on Dec 07, 2017, 08:43:00 AM
I am done discussing it. Obviously "a bunch of action with no brain" was not meant as insulting.

I'm sure you feel differently (as is your prerogative)...but it's very disappointing to me that you can't take criticism unless it's softened with sufficient "tact", which is a subjective standard.

Is "a bunch of action with no brain" an unfair assessment of that story? That is what it feels ike to me. Perhaps I'm missing the cerebral aspects of the story (no sarcasm). Anyone with a different opinion. Again, would love to hear counter-positions.

QuoteI have a plenty thick skin.

No,  you really don't...but you're not alone. 

Corporal Hicks

Comeon, happy, stop being obstinate. It's general politeness to actually have tact during conversation, especially when discussing a subject with someone that actually had a hand in working on it. It's attitudes like that that often given fandom a bad rep. Tone it down.

BryanThomasS

I will move on, Hicks, as promised.  Now, you all mentioned the named Predators you would like to see return in more stories. What about human characters?

HuDaFuK

I would've said Garber, but you've already done that lol. Looking forward to giving your story a read!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed