Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 114,463 times)

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 13, 2019, 04:12:02 PM
Before you edited it I thought you were laughing because of how ticklingly true it is, because...
Well, they aren't wrong.

It was more due to the way the author expressed that. Regardless, my interest was on hearing Cameron's comment on this but I guess I won't see that.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 13, 2019, 04:16:27 PM
If I'm recalling correctly the "it doesn't matter when it's Acturian baby" was ad-libbed. It's not in any of the drafts and I think Ricco Ross mentioned that in his I Was There Too interview.

And did he say anything in regards to the Arcturians? Colonists or aliens?

Oasis Nadrama

Cameron is heteronormative as f**k, he has all the subtlety of a truck, of course the Arcturian line isn't about how gender doesn't matter or whatever.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 13, 2019, 03:34:46 PM
Who created the Arcturians? Cameron? Did he ever commented on what he intended them to be?

Dan O'Bannon actaully.  :laugh:

They are just a joking reference to O'Bannon's and Moebius' graphic novel, The Long Tomorrow. Cameron had lots of esoteric nods to the original creators of Alien in his film.

Samhain13

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 13, 2019, 04:51:21 PM
Who created the Arcturians? Cameron? Did he ever commented on what he intended them to be?

They are just a joking reference to O'Bannon's and Moebius' graphic novel, The Long Tomorrow. Cameron had lots of esoteric nods to the original creators of Alien in his film.

Arcturian's canon appearance confirmed.  ;D

JokersWarPig

Oh my...not what I expected to see today

Samhain13

Samhain13

So this was the kind of comics Cameron was into back then.  :laugh:

Now... that's why it doesn't matter if the tentacle thing is male or female, they all turn on a female looking human anyway. Frosty did nothing wrong.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 13, 2019, 05:00:58 PM
So this was the kind of comics Cameron was into back then.  :laugh:

Now... that's why it doesn't matter if the tentacle thing is male or female, they all turn on a female looking human anyway. Frosty did nothing wrong.

Anybody reading Moebius books has good taste.  Mature taste granted.  But good taste.

Local Trouble

Kirby or Moebius Silver Surfer?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 13, 2019, 10:26:21 PM

Denzel knows for certain.

Nice curves. She seems like a feisty gal. I'd find a way to make it work.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 13, 2019, 10:26:21 PM

I'm more of an Incal guy, but for what it's worth, from what I've seen of Kirby's vs Moebius's Silver Surfer work, I vastly prefer Moebius.  I've never been a Kirby fan really.  I get Kirby's importance and contributions but I don't appreciate his work anywhere near what he deserves.

Corporal Hicks

Has Cameron ever acknowledged it was a reference to this?

AhabPredator

Speaking of James Cameron...it would seem he is under fire.

https://youtu.be/cZiPlfZXnSk

Oasis Nadrama

The "disgusting triggered woman" face in the lower left corner tells everything there is to know about the youtuber's politics. Consternating.

Cameron's last movies are an ode to whitewashing and his "strong" female characters are merely one level above the chainmail bikini warrior. OF COURSE most progressive-minded people won't appreciate him a lot.

(Which doesn't mean they hate him. Generally speaking, social justice circles are pretty much indifferent to the casual level of undeliberate misogyny random cishet men such as Cameron display. There's just bigger fish to fry, there's Weinstein and Polanski and Lars Von Trier etc.

And to say Battle Angel Alita Gunnm has problems of sexualization is just stating the obvious. Alita Gally is oversexualized and objectified. She's already presented that way in the manga for that matter.

The (shitty) movie downplays that aspect but doesn't remove it.

TL;DR: This youtuber is just another reactionary fanboy whining about two critical SJW posts and a bitter Twitter comment.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 14, 2019, 09:49:15 PM
Speaking of James Cameron...it would seem he is under fire.

https://youtu.be/cZiPlfZXnSk

"Alita Battle Angel". So that's what Cameron is up to nowdays. Guess he gave up on his space smurfs. People need to stop giving sjws so much attention. Just laugh and let them go butthurt at their isolated corner on twitter.

Their little fire won't be enough to touch Cameron.

Necronomicon II

Ugh, keep the politics out of here.

Re potential future directors, one director could hit it absolutely out of the park and garner universal praise, that man is Denis Villeneuve, however I find Riddles' crazy divisiveness infectious. ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed