Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 113,300 times)

The Old One

The Old One

No thank you.

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 21, 2019, 09:56:15 PM

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 21, 2019, 07:58:02 PMI don't want Alien to turn into a full blown Mass Effect Space Opera, although I love Mass Effect.

The "Arcturians" should simply be a human colony with a high percentage of intersex people on a planet orbiting Arcturus.
Turning them into Asari doesn't fit the lonely universe Alien presents and
I believe the actual intention of the line in Aliens is more a suggestion of a further parallel
in James Cameron's Vietnam allegory; where treating another race as subhuman because they were different,
was either not acknowledged as heinous or perhaps even encouraged by military superiors.

(The Rage War's depiction's trash.)

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 20, 2018, 06:58:16 PM

The whole Arcturian's are aliens thing is actually rather sickening when you understand
James Cameron's intent with the line.
He was drawing Vietnam Parallels there.

IE, this was basically like that one scene in Full Metal Jacket where Joker tells his buddy Rafterman
"Half these gook whores are servicing the Vietcong, the other half have TB.
So make sure you only f**k the ones that cough."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hch3HL8gPTk

IE: The Arcturian colony is full of "sub-human trash" and it doesn't matter if they're transsexuals, dudes, or chicks.

Drukathi

Drukathi

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 21, 2019, 07:58:02 PMI don't want Alien to turn into a full blown Mass Effect Space Opera, although I love Mass Effect.

Not necessary. AvP is the space opera? I don't think so. With Engineers it's become the space opera? No. New races can be added, just used on second plan. And the space opera can be without aliens (humanoids) races - like as Dune.

Alien universe is not dead space (with necromorphs, dead life forms). It's a strange space with biomechanical life forms, there is no border between life and technologies. The strange pilots who grown from the chair, parasites with robotic elements, synthetic androids who was grown like organic life. And this context I never imagine Arcurians as Asari and they all look different and dissimilar each other because they used implants and geno-modes. It's a big a field for imagine. We can even see new alien breed from arcturiands (DNA reflex) - in that case we will see only arcturians corpses.

The Old One

The Old One

More importantly though, turning the Arcturians into E.T, in any shape or form, is missing the point of their presence in Aliens to begin with. To an almost offensive extent of misunderstanding the context and the implications.

Quote from: Drukathi on Feb 13, 2019, 12:16:35 PM

Not necessary. AvP is the space opera? I don't think so. With Engineers it's become the space opera? No. New races can be added, just used on second plan. And the space opera can be without aliens (humanoids) races - like as Dune.

Alien universe is not dead space (with Necromorphs, dead life forms). It's a strange space with biomechanical life forms, there is no border between life and technologies. The strange pilots who grown from the chair, parasites with robotic elements, synthetic androids who was grown like organic life. And this context I never imagine Arcturians as Asari and they all look different and dissimilar each other because they used implants and geno-modes. It's a big a field for imagine. We can even see new alien breed from Arcturians (DNA reflex) - in that case we will see only Arcturian corpses.

I agree mostly, but they state they've never seen anything like the Alien before.
What you're describing sounds more like varying degrees of transhumanism, which would suit Alien I think, a sectarian organisation of transhumanists perhaps, (E.G Devolver Digital's "OBSERVER_" VG, Starring Rutger Hauer) but not actual living E.T races. The more common you make all those things you've mentioned above, the less other it becomes and that's a grievous mistake.

Rankles75

Never seen the fascination with Arcturians myself.

The Old One

The Old One

It's that stupid Star Wars mentality of making any offhand mention of anything and turning it into it's own story unnecessarily. Often deliberately ignoring the context in which it originated or thoroughly misunderstanding it.

E.G; Arcturians in The Rage War Trilogy.

JokersWarPig

I mean when you think about Arcturians might not even be "aliens". They could just be humans from a colony on a planet called "Artcuria" or something. The colony could have been there for so long and the cultures just become so different from other humans that that's just what the people are referred to.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 13, 2019, 02:50:40 PM
It's that stupid Star Wars mentality of making any offhand mention of anything and turning it into it's own story unnecessarily. Often deliberately ignoring the context in which it originated or thoroughly misunderstanding it.

E.G; Arcturians in The Rage War Trilogy.

Ya, but a spinoff about Resurrection-era Walmart may be very funny.   ;)

Samhain13

Who created the Arcturians? Cameron? Did he ever commented on what he intended them to be?

I didn't mind them becoming aliens. The marines weren't impressed Ripley had seen an alien. I assumed between ALIEN and ALIENS humanity found other alien species.

The Old One

The Old One

Again.

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 21, 2019, 09:56:15 PM

The "Arcturians" should simply be a human colony with a high percentage of intersex people on a planet orbiting Arcturus.
Turning them into Asari doesn't fit the lonely universe Alien presents and
I believe the actual intention of the line in Aliens is more a suggestion of a further parallel
in James Cameron's Vietnam allegory; where treating another race as subhuman because they were different,
was either not acknowledged as heinous or perhaps even encouraged by military superiors.

(The Rage War's depiction's trash.)

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 20, 2018, 06:58:16 PM

The whole Arcturian's are aliens thing is actually rather sickening when you understand
James Cameron's intent with the line.
He was drawing Vietnam Parallels there.

IE, this was basically like that one scene in Full Metal Jacket where Joker tells his buddy Rafterman
"Half these gook whores are servicing the Vietcong, the other half have TB.
So make sure you only f**k the ones that cough."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hch3HL8gPTk

IE: The Arcturian colony is full of "sub-human trash" and it doesn't matter if they're transsexuals, dudes, or chicks.

Making them Aliens is f**king dumb, the "Woopee-f**king doo." regarding "Apparently, she saw an alien once."
Is obviously a reference to other non-sentient Earth-like E.T creatures such as the Kurn, Kriltic and Oswocs. I can easily imagine the Colonial Marines being called in to wipe out Kriltic infestations from time to time, making them lax and arrogant, hence "We stomp Bugs."

Samhain13

I asked if there ever was any comment from Cameron(interview/video) on this. If there wasn't I don't mind each author doing their on take on it.

The Old One

The Old One

http://www.pageofreviews.com/2014/04/arcturian-poontang-and-heteronormative-world-building-in-james-camerons-aliens/

"Simply treating the language as it is, and without getting into a discussion on the Drake/Vasquez relationship, is there anything in the discussion preceding and immediately following the Arcturian poontang that suggests a progressive world view from these marines? I don't think so.

This leaves us with option number one. Frost's dialogue is a piece of world building that represents an intentional tonal choice in the screen play. My suspicion is that Arcturian poontang is likely meant to evoke a specific reaction from the audience in terms of how film depicted American soldiers in the aftermath of Vietnam. Attempts at a deeper reading probably aren't going to end in a place where Cameron was attempting to push boundaries or explore inter-species relationships beyond the fetish level of Humans/Orion Slave Girls."

Samhain13

Samhain13

"I'm also reticent to jump to that conclusion because it takes us to a rather transgressive place for James Cameron. Interspecies relationships as seen in Avatar are as heteronormative and tedious as any sort of Hollywood schlock. In that example, Jake Sully becomes a full on cat person, and his exotic, bordering on Orientalized girlfriend bonds with him for life as a cat person. Much as I want to believe that this scene is about pansexual, gender fluid, interspecies relationships, that's probably a bit rich for the 80s."

If only I could unread this.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Too bad Cameron never cleared things up. Maybe he will remember them if he ever get involved on another alien movie.  :P

The Old One

The Old One

Doubtful.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Feb 13, 2019, 04:07:02 PM
"I'm also reticent to jump to that conclusion because it takes us to a rather transgressive place for James Cameron. Interspecies relationships as seen in Avatar are as heteronormative and tedious as any sort of Hollywood schlock. In that example, Jake Sully becomes a full on cat person, and his exotic, bordering on Orientalized girlfriend bonds with him for life as a cat person. Much as I want to believe that this scene is about pansexual, gender fluid, interspecies relationships, that's probably a bit rich for the 80s."

If only I could unread this. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Before you edited it I thought you were laughing because of how ticklingly true it is, because...
Well, they aren't wrong.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 13, 2019, 03:58:20 PM
http://www.pageofreviews.com/2014/04/arcturian-poontang-and-heteronormative-world-building-in-james-camerons-aliens/

"Simply treating the language as it is, and without getting into a discussion on the Drake/Vasquez relationship, is there anything in the discussion preceding and immediately following the Arcturian poontang that suggests a progressive world view from these marines? I don't think so."

If I'm recalling correctly the "it doesn't matter when it's Acturian baby" was ad-libbed. It's not in any of the drafts and I think Ricco Ross mentioned that in his I Was There Too interview.

Drukathi

Drukathi

If look at an Arcturians, as a humans, what if ... Origae-6 is located in the Arcturus star system! Yeah! And arcturians is a humans who was modified by David!

Or! Remember engineers from Covenant - they all looks similar. Who know where a man or a woman is here? May be Arcturians are not unkown alien/human-like race, but another engineers colony! And their world is like Planet 4.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed