Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 112,812 times)

JokersWarPig

I don't think people are mad about Hicks and Newt dying, but are mad about how they died.

I know that's one of my issues with the movie. My other issue is I see it as a retelling of Alien set in a prison, and I find it to be very boring overall. To me it didn't add anything we haven't already seen.

Quote from: Nostromo on Jul 27, 2016, 03:27:10 AM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jul 26, 2016, 06:17:04 PM
Alien 3 needs to die and be shoved into a shallow grave.
I mean, Aliens Colonial Marines also confirmed Hicks was alive  ;D so you can't say HE'S dead.

All that aside, I'd welcome a Blomkamp Alien film and I've been hoping for one since it was first mentioned. I'm a big fan of his movies so I'm sure the wait for this will be worth it.
I don't see why everyone assumes it'll be action packed and full of "dumb" bugs. You can easily have the aliens be dangerous and intelligent when facing the marines. If anything I feel that the movie would portray the aliens better if they did face the marines face to face and pushed them back without the marines losing some important aspect of their equipment prior to the encounter like they did in Aliens. Just because the Marines (or a security force) are in it doesn't mean the aliens will be dumb.

I'm not sure why fan service is such a trigger word either, it could be something as simple as bringing back the look of the marines or the pulse rifle, since those are (imo) as iconic to the franchise as the Alien or the face hugger. Fan service doesn't automatically equal bad things.

The picture of the marines "piloting" the Aliens is great, and probably exactly what WY wants. The Alien suit Ripley is wearing I can live without though.

Erase Alien 3 or leave it I could care less. Same about Ripley or Hicks or Newt. The franchise is about THE ALIEN (S) not about Ripley!

Concerning Blomkamp, at least most of us agree this picture or thing he drew is total crap. I can no longer trust a director who drew this feces. Sorry. Game over.

That's like showing me a Newborn again! F no take this garbage and stick it. We've suffered enough with A3 A4 AVP AVPR!  4 straight loser films because of some directors or writers who wanted to show us they're artistic side@ boohoofkinhoo cry me a river.

Now you want to tell me that this is cool??? Aliens with sunglasses running around? That's it I've had it! I'm taking out the bat and breaking something! I can't take this. Someone tell him something lol.

https://cdna0.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/000/535/156/large/marek-okon-under-control-1920.jpg?1443927823

To me the idea is great. I'm not sure how else you would weaponize an Alien without a control device or harness. You could easily make a plot based on WY using this technology and losing control of the Aliens.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 27, 2016, 04:18:48 AM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Jul 26, 2016, 11:26:14 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 26, 2016, 11:05:36 PM
Quote from: Beatnation on Jul 26, 2016, 11:01:31 PM
First off, Ripley, Hicks and Newt all of them die in Alien 3, we got 25 years to get used to it, so deal with it.

I will give Blomhack's Alien 5 a chance if they show he can create a new and frsh take on the franchise with interesting and likeable new characters, instead trying to retcon other movies in favor or stupid wet fan-fiction, what a piece of shit director you must be if you can't tell a good story without reviving those long time dead characters.

Last time I checked the name of the franchise was ALIEN not ELLEN.

No.  Alien 3 was the wrong direction to go in in 1992, and it is just as bad with the passage of time.  It's time to fix the chronology, dump Alien 3 and its bastard child A:R and fix the franchise.

Nah, I'd much rather they dump Alien 5, it sounds like an even bigger bastardization than those films. It's your opinion that it was a wrong direction, to me, it was the right one. Alien 3 is amazing and I even love Resurrection.

Beatnation does have a point, it's been 25 years... can't we stop being bereaved and move on to brand new and interesting chapters? I truthfully think this franchise has so much potential to branch out and introduce new faces. Nothing is sadder than wasted talent and potential... seeing a great series cave in on itself and go "sod it, I give up. Retcon time!"

What's seriously wrong with going past Resurrection? It just boggles my mind. I mean, you can still have Ripley... 8... but she's still Ripley! And we can see more of that further future. Maybe see some new technology humanity developed in those 200 years. Perhaps even see the slow rise of Weyland-Yutani once more as they fix the damage that the Auriga has done to Earth and earns huge public support. Show Colonial Marines again in this setting with more advanced gear.

And we can still have a "passing of the torch" moment as a new lead takes over for an ageing Ripley 8. Speaking of which, the clones were artificially aged, so that means Ripley 8's age won't be something that needs a lot of explaining. It can be literally set a few years after Resurrection or a few decades if the story demands it (explain it as Ripley's advanced biology or maybe she was in a cryotube again)

So many opportunities and possibilities! It's a shame Blomkamp chose a more banal option.

You said it in your first sentence.  This is all opinion.  You want to pin the future of this franchise on the half-baked ideas of Alien 3 and A:R, that's fine.  I don't.  I would say most people don't.  Both Cameron and Scott respect the script of Blomkamp, and with Scott producing the film, I believe we will get something really cool.

But I will agree that we don't need Ripley with Alien headgear.  That opens the door to all sorts of stupid..

Half baked?

I for one think they are great films that added to the franchise and there are plenty of roads to carry on from there.

And Blomkamp's ideas are half baked and banal to me... you don't like his "Xeno Ripley" idea, I find it odd that you still have faith in the overall film. What if it's just as bad as the Alien Ripley thing?

Blomkamp can go in many other directions. I'd love to see him explore humans finding a derelict and the company actually holding It in a facility and studying it, or that cool looking monolith in one of the artworks. It'd add so much to the Engineers as well. His concept art that didn't feature Ripley and Hicks were actually pretty good and had interesting ideas behind them. I am all for seeing us acquiring and studying new artefacts and technology.

But for God's sakes, he should drop Ripley, Newt and Hicks. Didn't Henn say she was just gonna be in some video call scene? How pointless.... just drop her all together and get a new character, get Billie from the comics and you'll have your Newt substitute then. Which means you can get another proper actress this time.

Look, I would love an Alien 5 movie as any other fan, but I have my limits. I cherish the timeline of this franchise and seeing it literally be raped by a retcon is pissing me off. I like these films having a history, something that humanity properly experiences and which can be archived.

To me, timeline in this franchise is like the multiverse to Rakai'Thwei lol.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 27, 2016, 07:54:25 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 26, 2016, 11:05:36 PMAlien 3 was the wrong direction to go in in 1992, and it is just as bad with the passage of time.

Says who? Fox clearly didn't think so. With the exception of William Gibson's, every single one of the many scripts written for it killed off Hicks and Newt. They were dead in 1989.

Also the film made a ton of money outside America, so plenty of other people didn't think it was "the wrong direction" either.

Of course the film made a ton of money because it was riding the coat-tails of perhaps the best sci-fi action thriller of all time.  That doesn't mean it was a good direction.  Just because Fox goes in a certain direction, doesn't mean they're right.  The fans always get the final word, and we've been hearing Alien 3 groans for decades.  Also, the fact that most other scripts killed off Hicks and Newt tells me that most of them were half-baked, so there is no argument to be made there.  So I stand corrected, the direction was not wrong in 92, it was wrong in 89.  By contrast, the Aliens series from Dark Horse at the time was a smash hit with over 6 printings.  If Fox had a clue back then, they would have followed that direction, but probably a bunch of pencil-necks decided to cut costs and that's how we got Alien 3.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nostromo on Jul 27, 2016, 03:27:10 AM
Now you want to tell me that this is cool??? Aliens with sunglasses running around? That's it I've had it! I'm taking out the bat and breaking something! I can't take this. Someone tell him something lol.

https://cdna0.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/000/535/156/large/marek-okon-under-control-1920.jpg?1443927823

Good thing this has nothing to do with Blomkamp's project then. Now go change those diapers.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 27, 2016, 07:54:25 AM

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 27, 2016, 04:18:48 AMYou said it in your first sentence.  This is all opinion.  You want to pin the future of this franchise on the half-baked ideas of Alien 3 and A:R, that's fine.

Other than the Newborn, what ideas exactly were "half-baked" in those two films?

Quote from: PsyKore on Jul 27, 2016, 06:58:01 AMCheers for that.

No worries!

Here's your recipe:

1/4 baked - The premise of an alien on the Sulaco.

1/2 baked - An actual egg that makes 2 facehuggers aboard the Sulaco.

3/4 baked - Killing off 2 fan-favorite characters in the opening credits.

fully baked - Killing off Ripley, the main character

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Sprinkle generously with bald heads and F bombs.

BishopShouldGo

The possibilities were endless with the four surviving characters and the additions Cameron made to that world. A real organic upwards trend. Fox was so stupid to forego that.

Alien 3 is the definition of half-baked, once you take your rose-tinted glasses off.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 27, 2016, 03:12:35 PM
The possibilities were endless with the four surviving characters and the additions Cameron made to that world. A real organic upwards trend. Fox was so stupid to forego that.

Alien 3 is the definition of half-baked, once you take your rose-tinted glasses off.

I dont think anyone looks back on Alien3 with rose tinted glasses, it was poorly recieved by fans when it was released and has only slowly, over time, gained a decent fanbase. Everyone here knows the films many flaws, its just that fans of Alien3 feel that the good outweighs the bad.

Alien and Aliens? yeah they are great films but all of us on this forum view them through rose tinted glasses.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 27, 2016, 02:34:40 PMHere's your recipe:

An Alien being on the Sulaco is half-baked? The Queen got there just fine at the end of Aliens. So having one Alien there is OK, but having any more than that is half-baked?

What's so silly about a Facehugger that can implant a Queen as well as a drone to protect her? That actually makes total sense from a survival point of view. Isn't the Alien meant to be the perfect killing machine? Why wouldn't it evolve to give the infant Queen a bodyguard from the word go?

Given how their deaths and their impact on Ripley are the major point of the first act of the film, it's hardly a half-baked idea to kill Hicks and Newt, even if the actual offing is done right at the start.

And Ripley's death is probably the most beautifully executed scene in the entire franchise. Calling her death "half-baked" is a bit ridiculous.

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 27, 2016, 03:12:35 PMAlien 3 is the definition of half-baked, once you take your rose-tinted glasses off.

Actually it would be the definition of turning an almighty clusterf*ck into a surprisingly decent film.

The Alien Predator

^

This so much! This was so eloquently put, Huda.

Kaltes

Somehow I feel like including the phrase "performs fan service" is not a good sign.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 27, 2016, 04:09:47 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 27, 2016, 02:34:40 PMHere's your recipe:

An Alien being on the Sulaco is half-baked? The Queen got there just fine at the end of Aliens. So having one Alien there is OK, but having any more than that is half-baked?

What's so silly about a Facehugger that can implant a Queen as well as a drone to protect her? That actually makes total sense from a survival point of view. Isn't the Alien meant to be the perfect killing machine? Why wouldn't it evolve to give the infant Queen a bodyguard from the word go?

Given how their deaths and their impact on Ripley are the major point of the first act of the film, it's hardly a half-baked idea to kill Hicks and Newt, even if the actual offing is done right at the start.

And Ripley's death is probably the most beautifully executed scene in the entire franchise. Calling her death "half-baked" is a bit ridiculous.

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 27, 2016, 03:12:35 PMAlien 3 is the definition of half-baked, once you take your rose-tinted glasses off.

Actually it would be the definition of turning an almighty clusterf*ck into a surprisingly decent film.

Yes, an alien on the Sulaco is half-baked because we see the queen left the elevator with no eggs in hand.  So unless you like the idea of perhaps Bishop picking up an egg, well how did it get there?  It belies a level of stupidity on the part of Ripley for not checking the landing gear that is totally not in line with her character.

The whole "multiple spores from one egg" is a stretch, but one that could have worked if it was a more central theme in a movie.  It could have been a moment of discovery about the alien species, but instead, the whole thing just got glanced over, because in truth the writers didn't have a real explanation.

I never said Ripley's death was half-baked.  I said it was fully baked.  Alien 3 was the exact opposite of what should have naturally happened in the series as far as story progression goes.  We had 1 Alien in the first film.  Then the second film opened up the world of the Alien a lot more with a large colony infestation, and the third film rather than building on that into something even grander, just wound the whole thing down.  If the objective of Fox was to kill the series, then mission accomplished.  I mean none of the mysteries of the Alien or the derelict were even addressed.  Even Ridley Scott was perplexed that nobody looked into that.  If the objective was to build something grander which could be built off of for the purposes of a franchise, it was an utter failure.  And this is why we are having this polemic 30 years later.

To give you an analogy that you may understand, it's like if we had Star Wars, and then Empire Strikes Back, and then at the beginning of Return of the Jedi, the main characters die in a silly accident at the Mos Eisley Cantina, and then Luke Skywalker dies in the battle at the end.  Yes that closes the arc, but that is it.  It is a permanently closed loop.  It is closing the arc with no satisfaction.

We had a set-up for a grand confrontation between the mystery of the alien and our favorite heroine, and the whole opportunity was wasted on Fox's cheap quick-profit wank, leaving few options for a continuation of the series with its heroine.  That's how we got the resurrection wankery of A:R.

Contrary to what many people on this site say, the Aliens series is not just about the "aliens" as characters.  It is still about the people, just as every good story is.  Ripley is the core character, so killing her off is stupid.  Newt gave her the reason to go on living, so killing her, kills Ripley on the inside.  And Hicks, well Hicks was just the coolest space marine ever, and he was the last one left from that James Cameron crew that everyone loved.  Killing him off too just closed the door on that whole Colonial Marine aspect of the second film.

You want new characters?  Fine.  You have them with the Prometheus series.  Now the fans of James Cameron's masterpiece also want to have a film which respects the accomplishments of that film.  Go Blomkamp!  Go Blomkamp!  (Just no Ripley / Alien face mask please)

Quote from: Kaltes on Jul 27, 2016, 07:01:22 PM
Somehow I feel like including the phrase "performs fan service" is not a good sign.

I think it is something that can really go either way.  You can easily screw up fan service by pandering, or you could do it well by following what the fans really want, with a good script.  I agree that it is a journey that can end badly, but there is an equal chance that it will give people something that they have hoped for for a very long time.

g2vd

QuoteWe had a set-up for a grand confrontation between the mystery of the alien and our favorite heroine, and the whole opportunity was wasted on Fox's cheap quick-profit
..But Weaver wanted Ripley to die and in fact it was a stipulation made by her that Ripley was to die in the film and it was in fact the only reason she got involved with Alien 3, that and the boatloads of money and being able to have the say on what should happen in the movie. so you kinda lost me here.

Fox was the one that never wanted her to die.

QuoteThe whole "multiple spores from one egg" is a stretch
How? we're talking about a fictional Alien Race with acid for blood how is that anywhere close to a stretch?

QuoteRipley is the core character, so killing her off is stupid.
While she may be the Core Character of several films she shouldn't be the core character of a whole Universe. and the idea of killing off a core character isn't stupid it depends on it's execution as anything does, if killing off a Core Character is needed to progress further in a Universe and explore other avenues than it can be done and probably should be done. otherwise if the very idea of killing off a character is bad Game Of Thrones couldn't exist.

QuoteI mean none of the mysteries of the Alien or the derelict were even addressed.  Even Ridley Scott was perplexed that nobody looked into that.
While I like the idea of exploring the SJs and Xenos I actually prefer their origins to not be explained much. because the Xenos represent the fear of the unknown telling us what they are and where they came from takes away that mystery, not to say they shouldn't touch on it especially in the case of the SJs. I just don't like having something explained to me that didn't need to be explained that's the main problems of the Prequel Series.

HuDaFuK

Yeah, what g2vd said.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 27, 2016, 07:05:31 PMTo give you an analogy that you may understand, it's like if we had Star Wars, and then Empire Strikes Back, and then at the beginning of Return of the Jedi, the main characters die in a silly accident at the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Also, that's not a particularly great analogy.

For starters, it wouldn't be like offing the main supporting cast of Star Wars because Hicks and Newt were never even in the first movie.

There's also the fact Star Wars is a hell of a lot lighter fare than Alien, a series that's ultimately about the harsh bleakness of space, not family, magic and cute cuddly Ewoks.

(And even if that did happen in Star Wars, I wouldn't care so long as it brought something to the story, which I'd argue Hicks and Newt being killed does, at least as far as Ripley's arc goes.)

The Alien Predator

I think that keeping Ripley in is beyond stupid and repetitive.

Killing her off was the best thing this franchise has done. It grew a pair and did what many franchises refuse to do.

g2vd is right, she may be a core character of four films, but she is not a core character of the entire universe. Where's RIpley in Prometheus? Where's she in AvP? Where's she in AvP-R?... technically, where is she in Resurrecton?  :P

And before I hear "BUT THOSE FILMS SUCK!", no, it's the script, not due to a lack of Ripley. Besides, I loved all of those films anyway so the negative opinion about them means sod all to me.

I just want to see the story expanded and more characters struggle to overcome a galactic nightmare. Not some Mary-Sue who keeps coming back from the dead and turning a monster into a joke.

It's bad enough as some people say, that Aliens turned them into space bugs, now these same bugs keep getting crushed over and over by the same person who is getting older to the point that it's getting silly now.

Why doesn't Ripley start her own Exterminator company? Got a Xenomorph infestation in your kitchen? No worries! Call XenoRip Inc and your Alien problem will go away!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed