Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 112,853 times)

Kel G 426

Look at it this way...

We'll probably never see a sequel to Ressurrection.  There's no demand.

Will Lance Henriksen ever reprise Bishop II?  I doubt it.

So what impact will Alien³ have on a future storyline?  Answer: None. 

Retcon or not, A³ is a dead end.  An alternate sequel for those who want it shouldn't hurt anybody.

Beatnation

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 27, 2016, 10:40:28 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 27, 2016, 07:54:55 PM
Yeah, what g2vd said.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 27, 2016, 07:05:31 PMTo give you an analogy that you may understand, it's like if we had Star Wars, and then Empire Strikes Back, and then at the beginning of Return of the Jedi, the main characters die in a silly accident at the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Also, that's not a particularly great analogy.

For starters, it wouldn't be like offing the main supporting cast of Star Wars because Hicks and Newt were never even in the first movie.

There's also the fact Star Wars is a hell of a lot lighter fare than Alien, a series that's ultimately about the harsh bleakness of space, not family, magic and cute cuddly Ewoks.

(And even if that did happen in Star Wars, I wouldn't care so long as it brought something to the story, which I'd argue Hicks and Newt being killed does, at least as far as Ripley's arc goes.)

I want the 'Force Awakens' retconned because Han Solo died and clearly Disney has no idea what they are doing with their first 'Star Wars' movie. 

He should come back in an 'alternate' Universe and be given the ending he deserves!  That will fix the obvious wrongness of 'Force Awakens' which is a bad movie because he died unfairly.  This heinous crime against the fans desperately needs to be corrected. 

RETCON 'STAR WARS' NOW!   BRING BACK Han Solo!  Even if it takes 30 years we can do it.   All we need is some fan boy Director to stand up for this cause and we got to first base...  Get Harrison Ford on board (wave a 10 figure fee under his nose) and we're at 2nd...  Circulate some photoshop images of Han Solo in bounty hunter garments online and whip up some hype in the 'Star Wars' fan Community where EVERYONE wants to see this happen and 3rd Base is covered.  C'mon, Disney, we need you on board to make the home run!

BRING BACK HAN SOLO
IN THE CORRECT AND DEFINITIVE 'ALTERNATE'
STAR WARS UNIVERSE NOW!

This will be the greatest Fan Service ever!  You KNOW you want it!  We'll even bring back, Greedo, some Bothans and all those cute Ewoks coz they all died unfairly, too!

THE R(ETCON)BEL ALLIANCE NEEDS YOU TO FIX THIS MISTAKE!*

-Windebieste.

*For those of you not sure, yes.  This is a parody, OK?  It's what this current 'ALIEN 5' Proposal sounds like from the outside.

Are those guys on this forums??, such a good review, I share their sentiment 100%

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo_9EZ-P8Cw

g2vd

Quote from: Kelgaard on Jul 27, 2016, 11:49:29 PM
Look at it this way...

We'll probably never see a sequel to Ressurrection.  There's no demand.
Darn you! Kelgaard you new page'd me!

My second huge post didn't even have a chance, lol.

QuoteThe Force Awakens is a great film
That's debatable...not to ruin you're enjoyment but I can pick out a million and a half flaws with and it makes some of the most basic storytelling errors you could make.

QuoteIts production was handled with care, from the scriptwriting stage to principle photography all the way to finalizing.
Just because A3's production was troubled due to no part of their own, does not mean even a basic level of care wasn't put into A3 by it's production Team just because A3 may have had a troubled production doesn't mean A3 doesn't destroy TFA time and time again on a critical level.

QuoteTFA and A3 are not remotely in the same league.
Technically that's because they both part of separate genres, but you are right TFA is far from A3's level of quality.

Quotecommercial success.
"The Ablity to have commercial success does not mean you are a good movie."

The Phantom Menance made 1B.

BringbackJonesy!

Luckily for me, it matters not a jot if this alternate 'direct' sequel to ALIENS happens or not, as I'm able to look on ALIEN & ALIEN RES as mere 'fan fiction' entries as it is. ;D

To be honest, I would have been very happy with a follow-up to ALIEN that involved a storyline which expanded on the 'alien' aspect of Ridley's original WITHOUT including Weaver again at all.  Sure, she was excellent in it, but she became big thanks to that movie, not the other way round - however, the rest of the cast was equally good in it too...except they weren't lucky enough to have their characters survive until the end.  So Weaver became the focus of things thanks to the luck of her role, and of course there became a clamour for her to feature in the follow-up.  But 'Ripley' was merely one element of the original movie for me, and I didn't necessarily need to see her 'continuing adventures' in the follow-up...

Luckily, ALIENS turned out to be an excellent sequel, despite involving a 'shoot-em-up' storyline which was essentially designed to get 'Ripley' back into the fray.  But...I have no doubts whatsoever that an equally good follow-up to the original movie could have been successfully conceived which DIDN'T revolve around 'Ripley's character.,,and I've no doubt that it would have still been a successful sequel with the likes of Cameron at the helm too.  ALIEN's subject matter was memorable in LOTS of ways, and the sequel didn't necessarily NEED to be plotted around the 'survivor' of the initial story. 

Still, we got a terrifically re-watchable sequel, regardless.  Weaver put in another great performance of course, and her involvement in Cameron's movie only enhanced her 'star power' in the franchise - which was too bad in my opinion, as she ended up being able to heavily influence the way her NEXT follow-up would be done...for the worse, in my opinion.  Considering the limitations of the ALIEN 3's lacklustre plotline and settings..and the external interference of Weaver and the studio...it's a wonder how well Fincher's effort turned out in certain ways.  But while some may love it's constantly nihilistic, downbeat vibe...it's only thanks to some stylish direction from Fincher...along with another good performance from Sigourney, a pretty good score overall...that makes it's drab settings watchable, as far as I'm concerned.  And that goes for the equally flawed 'special edition' version of it too.

And then we got a further Weaver adventure with ALIEN RES...  :'(

Thankfully, I can re-edit both of these last 2 follow-ups for my own benefit, in a way that will make them a more curious re-watch for myself in future.  I prefer to think that that the events of ALIEN 3 (and consequently ALIEN RES too) didn't *really* happen after ALIENS at all...and some of it's opening sequence anomalies are quite helpful in looking on them as mere 'fan fiction' adventures involving Weaver's character -

1.  For instance, there's the WHITE 'Sulaco' lettering on the side of the ship, which was BLACK in ALIENS (sure, we see the other side of the ship in this shot, but I prefer to think it wasn't painted different colors on either side, and that it can't be the ship from Cameron's movie whatsoever)

2.  Then there's the close-up of 'Newt' in stasis that isn't the SAME acress as before (yes it's very brief, but still)

3.  And then there's the additional discrepancy of the single egg left in the 'Sulaco' by a 'sackless' Queen, which then seems to generate 2 seperate 'facehuggers'...  I guess I could 'imagine' that it's a larger, 'special' egg that produces TWIN 'facehuggers' (one of which is a 'Queen'-producer, or perhaps BOTH are)...but I'd rather not...  :P

4.  But the main thing for me, is the fact that the 'hypersleep chambers' are totally DIFFERENT to the ones we last saw 'Ripley' & gang enter at the end of ALIENS...so as I don't think that they got up during their trip home to change sleeping compartments, then this seals it for me!  ;D

So while I don't necessarily need an 'alternate' follow-up involving 'Ripley', 'Hicks', & 'Newt to discard the events of ALIEN 3 & ALIEN RES from my 'personal canon'...I might end up pleasantly surprised with how it turns out.  But again, I'd probably be happier with a non-WEAVER storyline involving the overall 'alien mythos' to begin with, new characters and all!  :P

Nostromo

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 27, 2016, 11:13:33 PM
The Force Awakens is a great film, with commercial success and critical acclaim. Its production was handled with care, from the scriptwriting stage to principle photography all the way to finalizing.
Cmon you're kidding right? Another death star story..worst lightsaber duels ever..worst star wars ever...

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 28, 2016, 12:22:09 AM
Nah. Alien 3 is a poor film.
Very poor. 6.5/10 poor

BishopShouldGo

Nah. Abrams is an amazing filmmaker. And so is Fincher. If Fincher had been allowed to on Alien 3 do what Fincher does, perhaps people would be more forgiving.

FiorinaFury161

As this has been mentioned countless times before: Considering what Fincher dealt with from FOX, practically no script, countless last minute changes and everything else going on, he did a helluva job.

Kronnang_Dunn

Kronnang_Dunn

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 28, 2016, 12:33:09 AM
Nah. Abrams is an amazing filmmaker. And so is Fincher. If Fincher had been allowed to on Alien 3 do what Fincher does, perhaps people would be more forgiving.

What I find more amazing (and ironic in a very sad sad way) is that, after all this years, and despite the great amount of people that still love and defend Alien 3 to death... the director himself totally hates his film::)

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/feb/03/david-fincher-interview-transcript

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Jul 28, 2016, 02:25:25 AM
As this has been mentioned countless times before: Considering what Fincher dealt with from FOX, practically no script, countless last minute changes and everything else going on, he did a helluva job.

And yet... he totally hates Alien 3.  :( :-\

SiL

Saying people can't like a film because the director doesn't is like saying people can't hate a movie because the director loves it :-\

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 27, 2016, 08:48:28 PM
You know, exploring a mystery is not the same as solving it. This is where Prometheus excelled. Every question just led to more questions.

'Alien' used the derelict as an incredibly powerful and symbolic setting, from which to springboard the main story.

'Prometheus' explored questions the original never really brought up, only to not really find any meaningful answers. If the process of answering some of the mysteries set up in the first film, had led to new questions, that would have been a much better progression.

SiL

Mystery is great when the answer is irrelevant. What's the Jockey? Why is it there? How did it get there? Why are the eggs there? Fun questions, but completely and utterly irrelevant to the plot of the movie.

Prometheus builds itself on question after question and then answers f**k all of them in any meaningful way that resolves anything the characters set out to do or achieve.

Beatnation

Long live Alien³ -Assembly Cut-

Corporal Hicks

Deleted a couple of pointless posts. Please actually attempt to contribute towards the conversation and less of the attitude towards each other. Obviously this project has caused a bit of a split within the community but let's be mature about it. We don't all have to agree on it, we don't all have to like Alien 3 but we all have to be grown ups. Thank you.

Mr. Clemens

Funny thing is, if it does get made, it'll probably be just another so-so movie that we all complain about.  :P

Master

You mean, like predators?

That's exactly the effect of "I'll do a better sequel, f**k  the work of others! " attitude.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed