Insta-kill Aliens?

Started by yhe1, Jul 20, 2016, 03:33:25 AM

Author
Insta-kill Aliens? (Read 1,610 times)

yhe1

yhe1

I am playing through the Survival campaign for AVP2, and sometimes my character is insta-killed by the Alien. This does not happen in the Normal campaign, they just claw you. I am playing on easy too. Is this normal? is there a setting some where that I need to set?

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: yhe1 on Jul 20, 2016, 03:33:25 AM
I am playing through the Survival campaign for AVP2, and sometimes my character is insta-killed by the Alien. This does not happen in the Normal campaign, they just claw you. I am playing on easy too. Is this normal? is there a setting some where that I need to set?

Can be pretty normal, depends where they 'clawed' you, even a pounce could kill you in seconds.

Randomizer

Randomizer

By Survival Campaign you mean this? http://www.moddb.com/mods/survivalcompaign/downloads/avp2-survival-campaign

If so then yes, some aliens can kill you in an instant. It's related to the difficulty of the mod. There was even a mention somewhere that there were no beta testers, so the author had to test it himself on his own, masochistic skill levels.  ::)

Other than that, I liked it. It's probably the biggest mod for AVP2 besides UMP2 (which is in fact a map pack, but nevermind).

EDIT: This thing is pretty common here but it can also happen in the official game's campaign. Depends where they hit you, just like x-M-x said.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: yhe1 on Jul 20, 2016, 03:33:25 AM

There are editable parameters within DEdit to "boost" the AI if you want.
You can also assign it a specific weapon, like the headbite only if you want, making the Alien, UBERLY deadly.
Survival Campaigns also modified attributes if I remember right, the creator may have change manually the damage.

windebieste

windebieste

Aliens SHOULD BE f*cking dangerous and not a bunch of easily knocked over soft-cocks. 

Killing one should be an achievement for the Player. 

Killing more should be a Major Celebration!

-Windebieste.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

And being killed by one should be seen as a re-incarnatio / tribute and not a dead end death
Long live to the hive !

(I was actually heading this way for the SP map I'm working on, very few ennemies, but very deadly and scary).

Lucifero

Lucifero

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 22, 2016, 02:51:11 AM
Aliens SHOULD BE f*cking dangerous and not a bunch of easily knocked over soft-cocks. 

Killing one should be an achievement for the Player. 

Killing more should be a Major Celebration!

-Windebieste.
XD an alien soft-cocks

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Le Celticant on Jul 22, 2016, 06:53:29 PM
(I was actually heading this way for the SP map I'm working on, very few ennemies, but very deadly and scary).

F*CK, Yeah! Make the player suffer for taking on some ball busting AI.  Wanna randomise that shit?  Add a key framed object, let's call it 'X', or whatever.  Set the key frames to loop around the level so the object passes above or below every location that the Player can get to.  Set the commands on the AI, especially an Headbiting, wall walking alien to constantly roam the level:  'mt X' so it's trying to find that object that's moving around.  Then tell the AI to 'mt Player'.  Alternate these commands.  I forget all the proper syntax but it can be done and you will have a free roaming AI that will wander the level looking for 'X' and then choosing to hunt the player. You'll need to set up some time delays in the command and multiple paths throughout the map with AI volumes but it creates a completely random experience for encountering the AI.

Just add one Alien.  Light the map carefully, add some sound cues and don't give the Player any weapons and you WILL scare the shit out of them.  lol.

-Windebieste.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

This is a beautifully mad genius idea!
I'm gonna try something along the line ;) thanks for bringing your creative mind !

Time to get dirty with DEdit now :P

windebieste

windebieste

Ya.  Try it out.  Just make a grubby little test map and mess around with a looped Key Framed Object that the AI follows around and then breaks away to pursue the Player.  You may need to experiment with 'mt' and 'trg' commands.  There's a couple of others that come in handy as well that will help get it working but for the life of me, I cannot remember them.  I think there's a Leash command as well that will limit how far the AI will wander away if it's applied to the Player.   It's been so long since I looked at this side of the tool set. 

Anyway, lemme know how you go with this.  You should be able to get it working with a little effort.

-Windebieste.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Patrol nodes should be enough to give aliens a path to follow. You can get pretty complex with them too by having randomised paths and commands and such.

You can also make aliens "lurk", which has them follow the player but retreat if they're seen. They'll only attack when they get within a certain distance. It's very creepy when facehuggers have that command.

Also, I remember once giving all  the aliens the headbite weapon on one of my maps just to see how it would go... It was the most brutally difficult thing I've ever played. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed