Alien: Covenant Has Wrapped Filming!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 15, 2016, 09:53:32 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Has Wrapped Filming! (Read 34,445 times)

Born Of Cold Light

Unless Covenant sucks the big one, I predict that it will be at least a little more successful than Prometheus, which did well even without the Alien moniker explicitly added to it.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 16, 2016, 12:10:14 AM
Oh, yeah. Sorry.  Got the movies I really care the most about mixed up*.  Won't happen again.  I promise.  :)

-Windebieste.

*lol.
It kind'a goes against what you're saying, though -- AVPR wasn't terribly successful. It barely made a profit after marketing and such.

windebieste

Certainly... and Fox can't afford another failing of that magnitude. 

'Prometheus' had a few clumsy steps but at least it was heading in the right direction.  I'm hoping Scott has gained his footing with 'ALIEN: Covenant.

-Windebieste.

motherfather

motherfather

I too rewatched Prometheus not so long ago. True - its not terrible, but not counting avp, Prometheus is the least re-watchable and I kind of felt like I was only sticking through the movie for the Hammerpede and the Medpod scene - then I kind of tuned out again. The engineers are actually annoying in Prometheus, whereas in Alien, their allusion was fascinating. There I've said it - Engineers don't float my boat anymore...

Even the drab looking Alien 3 had more moments I'd want to re-watch from a storyline perspective.

While everything sounds promising for Alien Covenant - Giger inspiration, more creatures, good budget and decent shooting time, I just hope the script delivers. In the early days, the script (and even the title of the film) has had so many reincarnations (like many movies these days). I just hope the script is gripping, the acting is of Charles Dance/Sigourney Weaver/Ian Holm/Lance Henriksen/Glenn Close calibre, and this becomes a movie that I will want to rewatch time and time again in years to come.

Ever the eternal pessimist, I know, but somebody has to be...

NickisSmart

Hey, now. Prometheus is more re-watchable than Resurrection, at the very least.

Scripts and filming, as Alien demonstrated, 40 years ago, is an organic process. Like evolution, though, the results aren't always superior. It's all random, essentially.

BishopShouldGo

There were massive on set rewrites for Covenant, as one could ascertain. But I heard the original Paradise Lost script, pre-Logan, was great.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 16, 2016, 01:13:25 AM
Well, this will be the most money Fox has ever spent on an Alien movie, even more expensive than Prometheus. But I'm certain it'll still make its money back, as the trailers will show it off as the spectacle it is, and plastering "From the director of Alien and The Martian" everywhere.

I don't think we've seen any budget info yet. Is this something your insider has told you?

Just confirmed who is remaining from the art department to help with VFX. Wayne Haag and Steve Burg (who has done all the ship design).

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 16, 2016, 12:53:36 PM
Well, this will be the most money Fox has ever spent on an Alien movie, even more expensive than Prometheus. But I'm certain it'll still make its money back, as the trailers will show it off as the spectacle it is, and plastering "From the director of Alien and The Martian" everywhere.

I don't think we've seen any budget info yet. Is this something your insider has told you?

Yeah, there's been rumours of a $150 million budget but nothing official has been released yet.

motherfather

Put it this way - its got to be a bigger budget than Prometheus. besides, Fassbender isn't getting cheaper as an Actor, even though they may well save on payroll without Charlize Theron.

Denton Smalls

QuoteBut I heard the original Paradise Lost script, pre-Logan, was great.

Sorry if it's off topic but what do you think the chances are of some script drafts being made available after release?

Also, since we got Peter Briggs' unproduced AVP script, do you think we'll see Blomkamp's Alien 3.2 script eventually if it never happens as well?

BishopShouldGo

Just confirmed who is remaining from the art department to help with VFX. Wayne Haag and Steve Burg (who has done all the ship design).

I've just heard the $150 million rumor; also a set visitor tweeted that it would be "bigger" than Prometheus. So I'm just deducing.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 16, 2016, 03:00:52 PM
Yeah, there's been rumours of a $150 million budget but nothing official has been released yet.

I must have missed that one. Can you remember where it came from?

Quote from: Denton Smalls on Jul 16, 2016, 04:14:57 PM
Sorry if it's off topic but what do you think the chances are of some script drafts being made available after release?

In my research to find out about that Palgen draft, I heard that the scripts are watermarked with who they were given to. Unless someone cares enough to write it up, I wouldn't expect to see any anytime soon.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: motherfather on Jul 16, 2016, 03:36:52 PM
Put it this way - its got to be a bigger budget than Prometheus. besides, Fassbender isn't getting cheaper as an Actor, even though they may well save on payroll without Charlize Theron.

I heard Fassbender billed the production company twice.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 16, 2016, 06:48:06 PM
I must have missed that one. Can you remember where it came from?

It was being bandied about on the Alien: Covenant IMDb boards (and we all know how strictly factual they are  :)) and maybe one or two other places. I was never able to track down the source though.

NickisSmart

Well, if he plays two different characters... haha.

fiveways

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 16, 2016, 04:18:39 PM

I've just heard the $150 million rumor; also a set visitor tweeted that it would be "bigger" than Prometheus. So I'm just deducing.

Give "Fury Roads" "R" rating in the USA (and 150 million dollar budget) and the success of Deadpool, I could see Fox risking 150 million on a r-rated franchise that could be a steady source of income.  Yeah it won't be the next Force Awakens, but it could be a strong 350-450 million dollar franchise every few years before digital rights, merch, home media and all that bullshit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed