Danny McBride discusses Alien Covenant with Rolling Stone magazine

Started by BonesawT101, Jul 06, 2016, 03:19:33 PM

Author
Danny McBride discusses Alien Covenant with Rolling Stone magazine (Read 45,076 times)

Mustangjeff

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 13, 2016, 01:18:08 AM
Well, shit I mean this sounds like fantastic news but there has to be a little bit of comedy/dark humor in the movie. Right?  ???

I don't mind a little stressed induced sarcasm in a serious movie as long as it's not over the top.  Maybe a little like Hudson after the shit it the fan.

BR1XER

Quote from: Mustangjeff on Jul 13, 2016, 03:07:26 AM
Well, shit I mean this sounds like fantastic news but there has to be a little bit of comedy/dark humor in the movie. Right?  ???

I don't mind a little stressed induced sarcasm in a serious movie as long as it's not over the top.  Maybe a little like Hudson after the shit it the fan.
Indeed. A little well-placed humor, even ironic, can benefit audiences during a suffocatingly tense scene. Yet can still leave apprehension with the delivery of circumstance and atmosphere.

There's also dark humor.

NickisSmart

How much humor did The Thing have? Not very much. I'd say if Ridley's Covenant had as much as that movie, I'll be as happy as a pig in shit.

windebieste

The only humor that movie possessed was when MacCready turned around and saw Norris' severed head sitting in the doorway.  He remarks "You gotta be f**king kidding!" ... or words to that effect - which was not only contextually appropriate but also a great tension reliever after we'd seen Norris chest abruptly burst open without warning and sever the doctor's arms with rows of shark like teeth embedded in its chest cavity.  What a f*cking amazing scene!

It worked as humor because it was the most appropriate piece of dialogue at the tail end of a shocking scene where no other response would be adequate.  Even then it's not LOL material, but rather a dark, stress relieving moment that is well placed in a movie that is otherwise on the edge of yer seat suspense.  We're not laughing here because it's an intentionally funny gag - we laugh because we need to.

'The Thing' is a great movie for its overall lack of laughs and it's cold and uncompromising somber tone.   It looks like 'ALIEN: Covenant' is definitely heading in this direction and it's welcome. 

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Enoch on Jul 12, 2016, 08:00:18 PM
P.S. New profile photo, Hicks!  :)

Thanks! It's from the new Vs. System card game.  :)

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 12, 2016, 09:20:04 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 07, 2016, 07:24:29 AM
I feel like McBride wont be playing any overt comic relief.

Looks like you were right yet again Corporal.

Not just a pretty face.  ;)

Quote from: Doc Dia Beetis on Jul 13, 2016, 03:13:35 AM
Quote from: Mustangjeff on Jul 13, 2016, 03:07:26 AM

Indeed. A little well-placed humor, even ironic, can benefit audiences during a suffocatingly tense scene. Yet can still leave apprehension with the delivery of circumstance and atmosphere.

There's also dark humor.

I don't think the comments mean we won't be seeing any levity at all. I imagine we'll get a Parker/Brett-esque kind of lightness at times. But it's nice to know it wont be any silly humour. As above, I'd be happy with The Thing level of tone.

MattFiler

MattFiler

August 2017 can't come soon enough! Alien: Covenant sounds absolutely awesome.
It's interesting how he's talking in the past tense though - have they finished shooting already?

I hope we get another Alien game similar to Isolation that launches around the time of the film!

HuDaFuK

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jul 13, 2016, 03:38:33 AMHow much humor did The Thing have? Not very much.

"You gotta be f*cking kidding..." and "Yeah, F*CK YOU TOO!" were both pretty damn funny.

But I agree, there shouldn't be too much overt humour in this. The original Alien had some nice levity from Barker and Brett before the shit hit the fan.

Corporal Hicks

From Barker you say?  :P

I think if it maintains an Alien level of humour we'll be perfectly fine. I never found any of the attempts at humour in Prometheus that effective. Aside from David.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 14, 2016, 08:01:05 AMFrom Barker you say?  :P

Pfft, everyone here knows what I meant... 'B' ain't even near the 'P' key :laugh:

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 14, 2016, 08:01:05 AMI never found any of the attempts at humour in Prometheus that effective. Aside from David.

Likewise. The darkly comic stuff with David was a riot, but the rest of the "humour" was awful.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I asked Wayne Hagg how he would describe Covenant's tone...his response was "macabre".

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 14, 2016, 08:04:38 AM

Pfft, everyone here knows what I meant... 'B' ain't even near the 'P' key :laugh:

No idea how you pulled that one off.  :laugh:

whiterabbit

Guys you do know there is a risk of going over board on the horror and dreadful theme. By today's standards Aliens isn't all that violent but back in the day it was hard for many to watch. Oh boy if they pull that off again it would be a long time coming. Then again I'm reminded of Prometheus all to quickly.

Corporal Hicks

Dark doesn't mean violent. Just tonally.

QuoteIt's not a cheery film put it that way.. It's bleak man!

BR1XER

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 14, 2016, 08:07:03 AM
I asked Wayne Hagg how he would describe Covenant's tone...his response was "macabre".

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 14, 2016, 08:04:38 AM

No idea how you pulled that one off.  :laugh:
Auto-correct is a bitch.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jul 14, 2016, 10:07:43 AM
Guys you do know there is a risk of going over board on the horror and dreadful theme. By today's standards Aliens isn't all that violent but back in the day it was hard for many to watch. Oh boy if they pull that off again it would be a long time coming. Then again I'm reminded of Prometheus all to quickly.
What risk? Surely you mean the risk of desensitizing audiences to violence or horror? Because if anything, the latest installments haven't been frightening enough, except for a few exceptions.

BishopShouldGo

Bleak and macabre makes sense. Ridley had comedy overload with The Martian. I just hope they don't go overboard. This is an expensive movie, the masses won't like bleak.

Plagueharvester813

Plagueharvester813

I think we all can agree with that

what I just said does not make any sense but I was trying to reply to Whiterabbit and the reply button isn't working on my computer

also is there a way to edit your posts because I don't want to have to make multiple comments like this that clog up the page

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed