Interview with Alex Moore - AvPGalaxy Podcast #37

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 21, 2016, 12:26:10 PM

Author
Interview with Alex Moore - AvPGalaxy Podcast #37 (Read 12,827 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 37th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast! Our latest episode is an interview with Alex Moore, the Lead Designer of Rebellion’s Alien vs. Predator (2010), hosted by myself and RidgeTop.

The 37th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy podcast is an interview with Alex Moore. The artwork is concept art by Mark Harrison for the game.

The 37th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy podcast is an interview with Alex Moore. The artwork is concept art by Mark Harrison for the game.

Among many other things Alex chats to us about how he became involved in the gaming industry, his first task after starting at Rebellion, modding, the history of the game, the melee system and much more. We’re also joined by Alex’s newborn as a special 4th guest.

Our new episode is available to download in our Podcasts section (simply right-click and save as) or for your Apple owners, our podcast is also available on iTunes.

I’d like to thank Alex for taking the time to chat to us! If you’d like to learn more about Alex, you can visit his website or follow him on Twitter. What did you think of our latest episode? Feel free to let us know your thoughts down below!

Prez

Downloading the pod now. Can't wait to listen to this tomorrow morning on the way to work.

Corporal Hicks

I'm a commuter listener too.  :P Look forward to hearing what you think.  :)

FenGiddel

Listened to Podcast 37 and must say, I enjoyed this despite not being a gamer. Loads of cool context from Alex as to how these things come together. And your editing transitions are nicely segued with the Mother bleeps and Predator targeting "swaps"!  COOL!  😎

Corporal Hicks

Those sound effects are a blessing for transitions. lol

I'm glad you enjoyed it mate. Loads of interesting information from Alex in this. Really enjoyed recording it.

426Buddy

Great podcast, lots of game development information, sounds like a pretty decent guy. I actually booted up AvP last night and had some good fun playing the predator on single player. I still don't much care for the marine campaign, but I enjoyed the preds and alien single player.

Wish I had seen the questions to ask thread when it was posted up. I would have liked to know why the designs of the buildings and colonial marines were so far removed from Aliens and AvP 1999.

Darkness

I must admit, I cringed when I saw your other thread because I thought it was going to be a written interview which would have been really inappropriate due to the irrelevancy. This was actually quite interesting in terms of game development. I almost thought you weren't going to ask him what he thought of Isolation but you sneaked it in right at the end. And I thought it was a cat I could hear in the background.

I still have those postcard things that he sent us somewhere.

ajm

Hey. Glad I didn't bore you to tears 😀

Sam would know for sure but from what I remember we wanted to make sure we didn't overlap with A:CM & also continue the idea that it was set 30+ years after Aliens.

426Buddy

Quote from: ajm on Jun 22, 2016, 10:53:13 PM
Hey. Glad I didn't bore you to tears 😀

Sam would know for sure but from what I remember we wanted to make sure we didn't overlap with A:CM & also continue the idea that it was set 30+ years after Aliens.

Thanks!

I'll clarify that its not that I didn't like the marine campaign its just the alien and predators were just so much more fun to play as since they are so different when compared to any other fps.  :D

Especially the predator, you guys really did a great job on him. I think the pred gameplay was better than the previous 2 games and thats really saying something.

Working Joe

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

And I was going to say I was sure I could lure Alex back on to answer some questions! lol

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 22, 2016, 02:13:17 PM
Great podcast, lots of game development information, sounds like a pretty decent guy. I actually booted up AvP last night and had some good fun playing the predator on single player. I still don't much care for the marine campaign, but I enjoyed the preds and alien single player.

Always happy to hear that people enjoy these things. I was really thankful to Alex for taking the time away to come and chat with us and for being so frank and open with it. It's something I think we've talked about for a while but we just never got around to it.

Quote from: Darkness on Jun 22, 2016, 05:13:57 PM
I almost thought you weren't going to ask him what he thought of Isolation but you sneaked it in right at the end. And I thought it was a cat I could hear in the background.

It had to be asked! It's really interesting to hear what devs think of the other games.

QuoteI still have those postcard things that he sent us somewhere.

I can't remember where I put mine after I moved out. I feel like they're in the box of an old Star Wars game!

One thing I forgot to ask (I'm not sure how relevant it would be to Alex anyway) was how Lance Henriksen and Will Hope ended up getting involved?

Nostromo

Great interview. Been listening to the one minute Alien dissection ones also.

general_bradly

Love these podcasts, keep them coming!!

I actually only played AVP 2010, ACM and Alien Isolation recently because I took a pretty long hiatus from gaming to get my college degrees and start a family.

I am back into gaming a bit now and was really devastated when ACM came out and I saw all the horrible reviews that said it was the worst game ever. I bought ACM Collectors edition recently for dirt cheap on PC, and I was honestly pleasantly surprised!! It seems some of the major faults have been patched and some mods really improve the game play. Love the fan service, weapons, motion tracker and iconic locations & bug hunt! (wish there were more bug hunt maps!). Bull#@%& boss fights and story but I don't play games for a story, honestly. ACM is a keeper for me I have really enjoyed playing it.

I than purchased AVP 2010 after playing ACM and was expecting a superior game. I was a little disappointed, specifically in the marine campaign. The marines just seem to generic, like they are generic space marines rather than the iconic colonial marines I was expecting. The predator and alien campaigns are a blast. Overall a great game, just let down in the marine campaign and prefer ACM over it to play as a marine.

Just started playing Alien Isolation and I am very impressed, its epic in every possible way. Really hope there is more aliens games like this to come.

I really want to play as a colonist in Hadley's hope and see the alien infestation occur a la Alien Isolation style!!!!

Just my 2 cent!

fluxcap

That was a fun episode, very enlightening. I'm both surprised, and not surprised at the lack of time they had to develop things deeper.

Any way to get dev's who worked on other Alien games? Would be awesome to get a perspective into the development of the other games.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: general_bradly on Jun 23, 2016, 05:52:16 PM
Love these podcasts, keep them coming!!

I'm glad you enjoy! We certainly intend on keeping them coming!  :)

Quote from: fluxcap on Jun 28, 2016, 02:08:26 AM
That was a fun episode, very enlightening. I'm both surprised, and not surprised at the lack of time they had to develop things deeper.

I absolutely love getting to have a better understanding behind the creation. I have to wonder if there's any game that actually gets the time they want.

QuoteAny way to get dev's who worked on other Alien games? Would be awesome to get a perspective into the development of the other games.

I'm sure it'd be a possibility! Any particular games folk would be interested in?

And welcome back!  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed