The Alien Minute Podcast - Dissecting Alien One Minute At a Time

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 10, 2016, 12:07:25 PM

Author
The Alien Minute Podcast - Dissecting Alien One Minute At a Time (Read 23,774 times)

Corporal Hicks

Earlier this week the brand new Alien podcast – The Alien Minute Podcast – started posting their first episodes. This latest Alien podcast has an interesting premise; each episode’s discussion is based on a minute of footage from the theatrical cut of Alien (inspired by a similar podcast that does the same for Star Wars).

The Alien Minute Podcast is releasing daily (though not at weekends) and episodes run between 10 to 20 minutes. The series is hosted by John Ingle, a cartoonist and screenwriter, and Mitch Brian, a screenwriter, filmmaker and educator who has previously worked on Batman: The Animated Series.

The Alien Minute Podcast - a brand new daily Alien podcast that looks at Alien, one minute at a time.

The Alien Minute Podcast – a brand new daily Alien podcast that looks at Alien, one minute at a time.

John and Mitch have released five episodes so far so they’re only 5 minutes into the film but it’s a really intriguing premise and well worth a listen! Head on over to their website and check them out. The episodes are also available on iTunes. You can also follow them on Twitter.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Just finished episode 5, was pretty cool, I like the format a lot. Sometimes they get a lil off topic though.

Makes me want to watch the film 1 minute at a time with a friend lol

Also in ep 4 I think, they talk about the papers russeling, I personally thought it was to show the air refilling the ship. They seemed to think it showed the camera man as some sort of narrator. Interesting to say the least.

Engineer

I gave it a listen. Each episode is rather short, so I don't lose focus before the end. Lol

Interesting concept for a podcast! I'll keep up with it, and see how it progresses. I like the attention to detail, which is forced by the fact they're only focused on a 1 minute segment at a time. They actually pointed out some really small details I'd never really paid any attention to before, like objects moving in the ship before anyone is awake yet (how was it moving? Why? Etc...).

I'd like to see them continue with the other alien movies, and maybe include some "bonus episodes" focused on deleted scenes and/or scenes in the director's cuts/special editions. That was the one thing I was kinda bummed out by... This is focused on the theatrical cut, so we won't hear anything about the scenes like the egg morphing scene, etc... :-(

Engineer

So has anyone been keeping up with this podcast? They're on episode 60 now, and I'm still liking this a lot! I would recommend it!

PS. They do spend some time discussing the deleted scenes too! :-)

Corporal Hicks

I'm a week behind but I've been really enjoying a more "professional" view on it. I've been waiting until the end of the weeks and listening to them in bulk.

Engineer

Oh come on! You should give yourself more credit than that! You guys sound professional to me! :-)

Or did you mean professionals in cenimatography? Lol

I actual missed several weeks (long story), and I just spent the last week catching up. Went from episode 37 to 60! Lol

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Engineer on Aug 29, 2016, 02:19:57 PM
Oh come on! You should give yourself more credit than that! You guys sound professional to me! :-)

Or did you mean professionals in cenimatography? Lol

Yeah, I just meant these guys were actual filmmakers lol I like listening to how they're dissecting it.

QuoteI actual missed several weeks (long story), and I just spent the last week catching up. Went from episode 37 to 60! Lol

I'm a week or so behind myself. Sometimes I just find I don't want to listen to anything.

Engineer

Honestly, I'm not too into the discussions about choices in camera angles and things like that; the more hardcore cinematography. I don't mind it, but those aren't the pieces of conversation keeping me interested. I do really enjoy hearing more about the score and musical cues though. Otherwise, what I've enjoyed most about their podcast so far is the level of detail they're analyzing the story, music, dialogue, and visuals (i.e., papers rustling in the intro before anyone awakens, dippy birds, etc...). They've pointed out things happening on screen that I've never noticed before or things I did see but never thought twice about it. Whole new level of appreciation for the movie now!

Engineer

The newest episode of this podcast mentioned a free eBook by Anne Billson titled "my day by jones: a cats-eye view of alien." I have never heard of this!! I searched for it but can't seem to find a copy. Any one have a PDF copy readily available?

Nostromo

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 07, 2016, 11:22:46 PM
The newest episode of this podcast mentioned a free eBook by Anne Billson titled "my day by jones: a cats-eye view of alien." I have never heard of this!! I searched for it but can't seem to find a copy. Any one have a PDF copy readily available?

Amazing, I was just searching for this pdf a few days ago. I noticed on the author's page tweetr page she says it's been pulled out from eveywhere and will reappear in some kind of cat book she's putting together... I pestered her with one tweet, nothing yet lol.

Engineer

Yea I saw that too. I was hoping someone might have a PDF copy saved on their hard drive to share...

Prez

Love this pod. Easily my favourite out there. John and Mitch are brilliant at dissecting each minute and their guests are usually great value too.

It's funny that I thought I knew all there was to know about Alien as a film but this pod has made me realise just how much I didn't know about the film or even thought about.

Really hope they continue on with the other films in the series after they finish with Alien.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Prez on Oct 13, 2016, 11:36:29 AM
Love this pod. Easily my favourite out there. John and Mitch are brilliant at dissecting each minute and their guests are usually great value too.

It's funny that I thought I knew all there was to know about Alien as a film but this pod has made me realise just how much I didn't know about the film or even thought about.

Really hope they continue on with the other films in the series after they finish with Alien.

I really love Alien Minute. I love the experience of listening to 2 professionals break it down on that kind of level. It makes for a different experience to a couple of fans rambling on.

I'm hoping they keep going too.

Nostromo

I had listened up to minute 9 and had forgotten about this one. Listened to minutes 10-13 last night some great insight in there, a lot of similar thinking between fans for sure. Good stuff.

Prez

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 14, 2016, 07:53:54 AM
Quote from: Prez on Oct 13, 2016, 11:36:29 AM

I really love Alien Minute. I love the experience of listening to 2 professionals break it down on that kind of level. It makes for a different experience to a couple of fans rambling on.

I'm hoping they keep going too.

Completely agree with all of that. Nice new avatar too - Hicks is Barry Allen?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed