Katherine Waterston’s Role In ‘Alien: Covenant’ Revealed?

Started by Stolen, Jun 09, 2016, 06:47:48 PM

Author
Katherine Waterston’s Role In ‘Alien: Covenant’ Revealed? (Read 36,464 times)

EEV Repairman

I guess we're all just over-protective of this franchise because we know the damage hollywood has done to beloved franchises of late and for it to happen to this one...that would be tantamount to media treason.

Theres very little room for error when youre dabbling in areas of movie canon, so many IP's have been scarred by lazy, poor or money grabbing tactics in screenwriting. So when something like this pops up it gets folk on edge,  and rightly so. Ill bet not once has anyone thought out a little bit of prequel fan fiction in their head and thought...hmmm...ripleys mum should be in this.

Pvt. Himmel

I know Prometheus could have been better and i think Ridley knows that, and now he is going to do what he wanted to do ever since the first Alien came out i don't think he will disappoint. 8)

Give him a chance.

predxeno

Based on Ridley's actions, it seems to me that he doesn't know what he's doing; he contradicts himself continuously and I get the feeling he's being guided by fan demand rather than a desire to tell a good story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pvt. Himmel

This time i think will be different.

predxeno

How optimistic. :-\

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pvt. Himmel

He passed up directing duties to do this new trilogy even Blade Runner 2.

LordCassusSnow

If Ridley fails again i say reboot this prequel nonsense and let Guillermo Del Toro direct. Guillermo's all about Lovecraft and squidy monsters anyway. Imagine what he could do if he dusted off the Alien Engineers script and gave us that!

xenoboners4everyone

xenoboners4everyone

Honestly if it's executed well and has enough emotional gravitas and justification, then fine, we don't know enough at this point plot-wise to dismiss it with derision, not denying that it's unnecessary, if true, but as it stands it's not the worst thing imaginable.

proto leech

The ripley bloodline being some destinied force to battle the alien is stupid. Do we really need this? Really?

Everything does not need to tie back into ripley and alien.

xenoboners4everyone

xenoboners4everyone

Ripley fam vs Xeno fam

Xenomorphine

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Jun 11, 2016, 01:33:39 AM
If Ridley fails again i say reboot this prequel nonsense and let Guillermo Del Toro direct. Guillermo's all about Lovecraft and squidy monsters anyway. Imagine what he could do if he dusted off the Alien Engineers script and gave us that!

He also responsible for the horrendously superficial 'Pacific Rim', so, uh... No. :)

NickisSmart

Quote from: EEV Repairman on Jun 10, 2016, 11:36:17 PM
I guess we're all just over-protective of this franchise because we know the damage hollywood has done to beloved franchises of late and for it to happen to this one...that would be tantamount to media treason.

Theres very little room for error when youre dabbling in areas of movie canon, so many IP's have been scarred by lazy, poor or money grabbing tactics in screenwriting. So when something like this pops up it gets folk on edge,  and rightly so. Ill bet not once has anyone thought out a little bit of prequel fan fiction in their head and thought...hmmm...ripleys mum should be in this.

Media treason? Hmm, it can't be any more treasonous than Resurrection. I don't recall anyone being strung up or otherwise imprisoned/executed for that crime.

I hate the word canon, when it has corporate leanings, which it goes when concerning movie licenses, otherwise known as corporate property. I don't care what Dallas said, I'm not a huge fan of "standard procedure."

All this being said, I don't understand why Ripley's mom has to be in this. It could be anyone aboard the Covenant. Doing it simply to say "Hey, look, it's the mother of the hero to the first movie!" feels--well, someone else compared it to the Belmonts versus Dracula, but part of the appeal of Alien is that you were a nobody in space, just a wheel in the corporate machine. Family or things back home simply weren't part of the equation. It added to the bleakness of the situation.

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 11, 2016, 12:59:03 PM
Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Jun 11, 2016, 01:33:39 AM

He also responsible for the horrendously superficial 'Pacific Rim', so, uh... No. :)

That was a kaiju movie. A certain amunt of silliness is par for the course. It was fine 'til the end, really. Happy Hollywood ending. It would have had more weight with more sacrifice. But Pan's Labyrinth says, when he puts his mind to it, he can do some serious weirdness and brutality. I think he could do a pretty good job with an Alien movie. I'd be interested to see it, anyway.

CainsSon

Quote from: NickisSmart on Jun 11, 2016, 01:44:04 PM
Quote from: EEV Repairman on Jun 10, 2016, 11:36:17 PM

Media treason? Hmm, it can't be any more treasonous than Resurrection. I don't recall anyone being strung up or otherwise imprisoned/executed for that crime.

I hate the word canon, when it has corporate leanings, which it goes when concerning movie licenses, otherwise known as corporate property. I don't care what Dallas said, I'm not a huge fan of "standard procedure."

All this being said, I don't understand why Ripley's mom has to be in this. It could be anyone aboard the Covenant. Doing it simply to say "Hey, look, it's the mother of the hero to the first movie!" feels--well, someone else compared it to the Belmonts versus Dracula, but part of the appeal of Alien is that you were a nobody in space, just a wheel in the corporate machine. Family or things back home simply weren't part of the equation. It added to the bleakness of the situation.

^^this. Its this type of stuff that made Alien's tone so memorable. It was just this monster that could be ancient and, we are unimportant. Drawing too many line between things sinks that ship.

xenoboners4everyone

xenoboners4everyone

Eh, once the shit hits the fan; the carnage and Giger penis violations particularly, all this will be incidental, especially if the film is actually good overall, but seriously, once the ol' beast rears his head ya'll loose your collective shit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed