How The Predator Will Solidify The Series' Complicated Continuity

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 18, 2016, 06:00:24 AM

Author
How The Predator Will Solidify The Series' Complicated Continuity (Read 41,811 times)

Corporal Hicks

QuoteI recently had the pleasure of talking with Shane Black over the phone about his brand new film The Nice Guys, and it was at the very end of the chat that we discussed his work on the next chapter of the Predator franchise. Discussing the fact that the previous movies have been all over the map in terms of world-building, but confirmed that it will be a story set in the year its released – 2018 – and will have tie backs to John McTiernan's original movie from 1987. Said Black,

"The trick is to go back in time and look at the other earlier films and say, for instance, in the first movie, what is there? Is there a scene in here that suggests something that we can almost in retrospect say, 'See, it was set up in the first one!'? How do we find that little niche?"

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/How-Predator-Solidify-Series-Complicated-Continuity-According-Shane-Black-131517.html

Interesting. I wonder what they could be trying to spin off of the first one like that.

And I wouldn't call the continuity complicated. It just doesn't have that much of a cinematic continuity as they're all largely stand alone aside from the odd small throwback to the first.

Master

First news that is worrying me. Keep it simple.

Johnny Handsome

I'm all for it, we had countless "simple" Sequels, and while they all work as contained stories, i would actually like to have one movie connected to the events of the first one.

I love Predator 2, but it would have been awesome if it would have opened with the guys in suits investigating the place with the dust and all. One of them stumbles across this Piece of metal, dusting it off it reveals the half burned mask of the original Predator, staring right in the camera *boom* Title comes in.

I would love them to really connect it to the Events in the first movie, what happend after this? Did they found something? What's the aftermath of this incident? There is much potential.

Good News for me.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Master on May 18, 2016, 07:12:04 AM

If they found something of legitimate interest in there, I don't think it's worrying. Not sure at this particular moment what it could be though.

Infected

i can only come up with the mothership that is orbiting Earth and dropping in preds season after season,
in the hottest regions.

Second thing is the CIA knew this from the start that they dropped the team in to encounter an alien.
Same group that is in Predator 2 with Keyes at the helm.
That team will be in the third and followed actively with Arnold next to them?

Johnny Handsome

Maybe Hopper's team will play a role? Maybe some stories that Anna told will be included?

We don't know but it sounds exciting, maybe the military does know about the Predator before the events of the first movie, Keyes knows that the Predator is huning all over the world, so there must be some kind of surveillance going on.

Corporal Hicks

I'm sure you've already seen Johnny but for everyone else, Fred Dekker is going to doing a podcast with Movie Crypt. Probably wont get asked but I've sent a question over about elaborating on that point.

blood.

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on May 18, 2016, 10:26:10 AM
Maybe some stories that Anna told will be included?

That was the first thing that came to my mind. I don't see what else there is really that wouldn't feel (to me at least) like an unnecessary fan service.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 18, 2016, 11:14:21 AM
I'm sure you've already seen Johnny but for everyone else, Fred Dekker is going to doing a podcast with Movie Crypt. Probably wont get asked but I've sent a question over about elaborating on that point.
Yeah i saw that. I don't think he will answer Predator questions though, certainly not the ones which would give away any plot points.

Questions like "are you still involved in pre-production/production?" i think have a chance of getting answered, everything else not so much, we'll see.

Corporal Hicks

Even a hint would be fine by me.

overthere

Maybe the rebels finally get over the boarder :D

But this sounds like there's no Arnold, because Arnold himself would be a tie-in. Can't think of anything in the original that's "building up" to be solved here.

Darkness

Sounds like he's wanting to put homages in where there doesn't need to be. Wasn't that a big issue with AvPs and Predators?

Corporal Hicks

It doesn't sound like homage to me. It sounds more like spinning off story elements in the new one from a point in the old one.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Master on May 18, 2016, 07:12:04 AM

Ummm.... A little discerning, yes but... Is it counting ALL of them or just the first one only?

I mean... yeah continuity is great and all but I want to say this is something that needs to be left alone.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I wouldn't say the series has complicated continuity at all - each movie is essentially separate and stand-alone. But if they can tie the new one into the first in an organic way, why not?

Quote from: RakaiThwei on May 19, 2016, 02:54:50 AMUmmm.... A little discerning, yes but... Is it counting ALL of them or just the first one only?

I mean... yeah continuity is great and all but I want to say this is something that needs to be left alone.

All he said is they're trying to continue a plot point from the first. Slight overreaction.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed