A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection?

Started by Perfect-Organism, May 18, 2016, 02:47:00 AM

Author
A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection? (Read 34,968 times)

Kel G 426

A retcon film could still benefit Alien 3, perhaps even more than a straight follow up.   As new fans are drawn in, people who never cared before may suddenly  find themselves  intrigued by these original sequels and check them out.  Some will undoubtedly like them more.  Controversy sells.

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 07, 2016, 04:22:11 PM
QuoteDoesn't matter what fox does or doesn't do, this franchise is never going to make TFA level money.

It won't. Not if it's R-Rated.

If they're lucky, it could make Deadpool level money.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ on Jun 07, 2016, 02:58:22 PMIt'll be a hypersleep dream handwave.

Such an awful, childish way of doing it.

g2vd

QuoteAliens didn't change anything that happened in the first film.  Ripley wasn't killed by previously nonexistent aliens aboard the Narcissus.  A3, on the other hand, completely wiped away the resolution of it's predecessor.  It's not a retcon, no, but it may as well be because it made the events of that film meaningless. 
To be entirely true it's not Alien 3's "Fault" per say but simply the sequel principle, any sequel to Aliens would reduce the significance of the sacrifices made by everybody in Aliens. even Alien 5 if it disregards Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection..it will still do the same thing on principle, I mean no matter what way you cut it any sequel would and will do the same thing.

QuoteSo when someone wants to ask, yet again, how we would feel about Aliens being retconned, it's important to know that we've basically already experienced that feeling. Now it's their turn.  We should be the ones asking them how it feels.
That's a bit overly dramatic.

QuoteDisney Princesses?  Someone else once mentioned kittens and teacups. This is just another way of talking down to people.
He was using that as a analogy he wasn't talking down to anybody from what I can tell.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

What if they go the cloning route, but never actually say it until by the end it becomes apparent that that is what happened?  So this way the real Ripley would be shocked to discover what happened.

I don't really care if they try to reconcile the return of Hicks and Newt with the existing continuity. After a lot of careful consideration, they just retcon those 2 last films and not even try to mention them.  But if Blomkamp felt compelled to keep those films in perhaps it would be interesting to see how 30 years later we have Hicks, Newt, and Ripley still trying to figure out how the Sulaco burned down and how they were saved so fortuitously by a passing W-Y ship.  This way, the notion of whether Alien 3 happened or not becomes an actual mystery device for the film.  It becomes the focus of the film, and not just a nuisance continuity matter to be disposed of in the opening act...

colonialmarine9

colonialmarine9

If they must make this Alien 5 movie I would rather them keep it separate and not make the others into bad hyperspace dreams. Personally I think that bringing back the same characters will hold back this franchise. The first three Alien movies are excellent films that deal with Ripley and her struggle with the Alien (and indirectly the Company) even Resurrection focuses on Ripley, the franchise should really move on from these dead characters. I think that new characters should be introduced, and I fear this film will appeal mainly towards nostalgia and fan service rather than making a good Alien movie. I'm not saying this just because I like Alien 3 (a lot of people now like Alien 3) but rather to expand the franchise in a new direction, we have seen these characters story already so just move on. We saw them bring Ripley back and we got Resurrection, they brought back Hicks and we got Colonial Marines. From what we've heard we already know that Newt will live for sure and it is highly unlikely that Ripley or Hicks will die either so there is no threat of death for these characters and we haven't even seen the movie, also why are old people going to fight Aliens?, and on top of that why would these characters go back to fight the Alien again? (are they bored and wanna relive the good old times), and what is the point of making this movie, why is there another encounter with the Aliens with the same characters doesn't this also undo the "happy ending" of Aliens that so many fans were mad at Alien 3 for undoing? Also what will this movie achieve for these franchise, Alien 3 beautifully closed the story and struggle of Ripley in a thoughtful and meaningful way and through her actions saved the universe, what will this movie do that will be so meaningful to the franchise? Canon is what you decide to make canon, I want the movie to be good but from what I've heard and seen I think it will be a rather bland version of what we have seen before that will focus more on fan service (and making a profit) rather than making a good Alien movie.

Also about the comment about the magic egg in Alien 3 what about Ripley's magic arm in Aliens able to overcome the pull of the Alien Queen and the vacuum of space, if anything they all should have died when Ripley opened the airlock.

Perfect-Organism

There must have been 2 magic eggs in Alien 3.  Didn't anybody count the aliens in that film?

426Buddy

I think the general consensus was that the hugger was carrying 2 embryos, one queen and one warrior.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 07, 2016, 10:34:48 PM
I think the general consensus was that the hugger was carrying 2 embryos, one queen and one warrior.

Whaaaaat?

colonialmarine9

It was a queen facehugger it carries one queen embro and one regular embro as a protector for the queen

426Buddy

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 07, 2016, 10:40:35 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 07, 2016, 10:34:48 PM

Whaaaaat?

That's just a common (and old) fan theory, there is no real answer.

Perfect-Organism

You know what the real answer was?

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 07, 2016, 05:45:32 PMWhat if they go the cloning route, but never actually say it until by the end it becomes apparent that that is what happened?

But why would anyone want to clone them?

The cloning in Resurrection at least made sense because they got the Alien out of it. There's no logical reason to go to the vast expense and effort of cloning Ripley, Hicks and Newt. What would you gain? Sod all.

colonialmarine9

colonialmarine9

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 08, 2016, 10:29:29 AM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 07, 2016, 05:45:32 PMWhat if they go the cloning route, but never actually say it until by the end it becomes apparent that that is what happened?

But why would anyone want to clone them?

The cloning in Resurrection at least made sense because they got the Alien out of it. There's no logical reason to go to the vast expense and effort of cloning Ripley, Hicks and Newt. What would you gain? Sod all.

Exactly

Also why would the Sulaco have cloning equipment laying around (how convenient), also this takes a lot of emotion out of Ripley's sacrifice in Alien 3 if she is now just a clone and the real Ripley is in hyper sleep for another 30 years. This could also turn the Alien series into self parody, if there is no threat of death for the major characters than why would I ever have to get worried whenever they encounter an Alien, also what kind of life (and luck) is it to wake up and continue fighting Aliens. Eventually it needs to end for characters, it can't last forever as that is both very unrealistic (remember the Alien is the deadliest creature in the universe) and it is a disservice to characters to continue to fight them without end, they either need to retire or die.

A few other concerns about the story that is proposed: how would bishop be able to get up and move around he just got ripped in half by the Queen, and why would Ripley, Hicks, and Newt age in cyro, between Alien and Aliens Ripley was out there for 57 years and there were no real sign of any aging (note that this was the record for longest hyper sleep), how long would the life support systems last for them to age 30 years in cyro?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I have an old theory that the company intentionally diverted the Sulaco to Fury 161 to isolate Ripley and the alien on a planet exclusively under their control and presumably outside the jurisdiction of Colonial Administration.  They would also have certain "liberties" with the condemned inmates of the prison that they wouldn't otherwise have with innocent colonists.

By that rationale, it's possible that the company was able to intercept the Sulaco and contain the survivors to prevent them from blowing the whistle about what really happened on LV-426.  Alien 3 and Resurrection could be explained as drug-induced nightmares or hallucinations that Ripley suffered while in captivity.  It could be something like Sarah Connor's situation in T2.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed