A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection?

Started by Perfect-Organism, May 18, 2016, 02:47:00 AM

Author
A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection? (Read 34,901 times)

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

The Boo Hoo Brigade, eh?  Once again the anti-retconners are trying to provoke people with inflammatory language.   You know who one of the top members of that brigade is, right?  Your boy, Sir Ridley Scott.  The same guy you think is taking this series to bold new places, despite knowing nothing about Covenant.  He's producing Alien 5 .  He approved the script, made changes, said it's good.  He thinks it's a good idea, as well as a bunch of people over at Fox.  And let's not forget Sigourney Weaver.  You see, it's not just us crybabies who like this, but accomplished lifelong professionals.  Consider that.

You want something fresh?   As others have rightfully pointed out, introducing new characters will mean spending the first half of the film bringing them up to speed on what the audience has already known for decades.  Ripley and Hicks will take initiative, drive the plot forward, instead of waiting for things to happen to them.  THAT will be refreshing.

You're upset over losing A3?   I can sympathize.   It stings when a movie you love is rendered void.  That's how we felt when A3 virtually retconned the end of Aliens.   You want to yell at us HOW DOES IT FEEL!?   Now you know.

Alien 3 is not a film that has endured on it's own merits.  It's only remembered by it's association with the previous films.  It has made no impression on the culture.  It actually hurts the films that came before it.  THAT'S why the film is under threat of retcon, not because fanboys can't "get over it".

My advice would be to do what I do when faced with a movie I don't like.  Ignore it.  Stay away from the A5 sub-forum.  Focus your enthusiasm on Covenant.  There's no need to keep spewing the same tired condemnations every time a new thread pops up.  Stop satirizing, exaggerating, and misrepresenting what Aliens fans want.  The name calling is childish.  The arguments are toxic.

And please, stop talking about how this is going ruin the series.  Remember AVP:R?  New films are being made despite that travesty.  The worst is behind us.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Kelgaard on May 29, 2016, 12:09:22 PMYou know who one of the top members of that brigade is, right?  Your boy, Sir Ridley Scott.

Last time I checked, Scott was the man responsible for putting this retcon "on hold". Beyond that, I don't think he's ever expressed any explicit desire to write off any of the existing Alien films or resurrect Hicks and Newt.

Local Trouble

Why am I not surprised that Weaver is only too happy to throw her own movies under the bus just to have her vehicle back?  :D

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

It's no surprise that Scott would put his film first.  It's taken four years to develop so far.

As for Weaver, we can speculate about her motivations in whatever way suits us. 

PsyKore

What about those of us who like both Aliens and Alien 3? Well, I as one of those people can say Blomkamp's movie sounds like absolute shit. :)

Quote from: Kelgaard on May 29, 2016, 01:20:29 PM
As for Weaver, we can speculate about her motivations in whatever way suits us.

No need to speculate; both her and Ridley have track records of saying whatever sells at the time.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 29, 2016, 12:48:03 PM
Quote from: Kelgaard on May 29, 2016, 12:09:22 PMYou know who one of the top members of that brigade is, right?  Your boy, Sir Ridley Scott.

Last time I checked, Scott was the man responsible for putting this retcon "on hold". Beyond that, I don't think he's ever expressed any explicit desire to write off any of the existing Alien films or resurrect Hicks and Newt.

He put a film on hold that he ultimately supports and wants to produce.  He didn't have it cancelled.  It's just sequencing in a neat organized fashion.

windebieste

Can't wait till Scott decides he's going to make much needed changes to 'ALIEN 5'.  He does that, y'know.  He makes changes.  Just look at how many title changes alone his current movie has undergone without even considering what's been done with the content. ...and this is a movie that's currently in production.

In which case I wouldn't consider any content in 'ALIEN 5' to be concrete at this point in time.  The movie isn't even in production.  There is plenty of time for much needed changes to take place.

I'm all for a Blomkamp directed version of 'ALIEN 5'.   It's too bad Blomkamp wasn't around 3 decades ago.  I would have been more than enthused to see his proposal if it was made in 1988.  It's now 2016.    Shackling it to characters whose use-by dates has expired, however, isn't the best path to take. 

-Windebieste.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on May 30, 2016, 04:58:11 AMHe put a film on hold that he ultimately supports and wants to produce.  He didn't have it cancelled.

I never said he did. But as winde says, Scott does have a habit of tinkering with films and he clearly wants to focus on his own series for now.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: windebieste on May 30, 2016, 10:07:39 AM
Can't wait till Scott decides he's going to make much needed changes to 'ALIEN 5'.  He does that, y'know.  He makes changes.  Just look at how many title changes alone his current movie has undergone without even considering what's been done with the content. ...and this is a movie that's currently in production.

In which case I wouldn't consider any content in 'ALIEN 5' to be concrete at this point in time.  The movie isn't even in production.  There is plenty of time for much needed changes to take place.

He's already made a small change to the script according to Blomkamp.

Safe to say, Ripley and Hicks will stay which is the film's main selling point after all.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 30, 2016, 08:11:25 PM
Quote from: windebieste on May 30, 2016, 10:07:39 AM

He's already made a small change to the script according to Blomkamp.

Safe to say, Ripley and Hicks will stay which is the film's main selling point after all.

Yes, I don't think Scott has an issue with the Alien series getting back Hicks and Ripley.  I think he recognizes that the series went off the rails after Aliens.  He might have very well told a different story instead of James Cameron's too, but I don't think he has the clout to retcon Aliens.  It would be a dumb move anyway that would bring too much public backlash.

Local Trouble

Quote from: PsyKore on May 30, 2016, 02:15:01 AM
What about those of us who like both Aliens and Alien 3? Well, I as one of those people can say Blomkamp's movie sounds like absolute shit. :)

You can form a club with the fans of Superman III and IV and gnash your teeth in impotent rage.  :D

That said, I'm not a huge fan of Blumpkin's work.  Too bad a better director isn't interested in making this movie.

HuDaFuK

Blomkamp's a fine director. He's just not an especially brilliant script writer. Two out of the three films he's written have had horrendously uneven scripts.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 31, 2016, 10:27:27 AM
Blomkamp's a fine director. He's just not an especially brilliant script writer. Two out of the three films he's written have had horrendously uneven scripts.

Something he shares in common with Ridley Scott. It's really important that they have people around them playing to their strengths, to have a well put together team. I have nothing wrong with stories originating from Scott or Blomkamp but they need actual writers to put it all together and make a good story and for them not to exert too much pressure on the writers.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 20, 2016, 06:56:30 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 20, 2016, 04:30:13 PM
Here he says it explicitly:

QuoteMy apprehension with Alien was that I had never worked with someone else's material. And not even someone else – at this point it was like... I'm going to count Fincher in with the third one, even though the third one I don't like as much as the first two. But they're all three awesome filmmakers. So it's not about living up to it and being nervous about it, I just don't want other people to tell me what to do. Which is a different thing. 'Well we think in this film this should happen because it happened in that one.'  That kind of scared me a little bit so then I was like 'I'm just not going to do it, I'm just going to put it out.' But then I spoke to Sigourney [Weaver].

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/04/how-district-9-director-neill-blomkamp-got-the-alien-gig

Brilliant, thank you! Knew I'd seen it somewhere.

He also said something to the effect of "...Then I realized there was the potential for another film with Ripley. Maybe even more..."

Another possibility here is that they just largely ignore the age difference or even reverse age Ripley some, say nothing of it and then just leave it up to fans to decide whether ALIEN 3 follows from BLOMKAMP'S film. As strange as that sounds, it's really not THAT difficult for them to do that. *Concept art of Newt and aged Ripley and Hicks aside. You never know how things progress from concept to screen.
Plus maybe he is just saying - I don't give a f**k. Im making a sequel to Aliens that fixes the problems with A3 and I don't want people to tell me not to because the age of Ripley won't look right. I want to do it anyway.
We all seem to have ignored that possibility. Maybe its just a midquel and, you know "To hell with it why not!" Blomkamp thinks?

The fact is we only know enough to assume what many of us don't want. At the end of the day, it will end up coming down to having a good, well executed story, to justify its existence. No matter which scenario we get - this is all that really matters when it concerns the film's existence. What I want LESS THAN ANYTHING is for this to be the next Terminator:Genysis .

WINDE does make a good point about A3 and AR. Its kinda contradictory to dismiss his feelings of distaste over A3 when you feel that way about A3 to begin with. I like A3 equally as much, if not more so than ALIENS, so I think the message stands: How would you react if they announced a retcon of Aliens?  It means as much to me to see A3 go, as it would to just make Alien 2 and scratch everything that came after. Like it or not, being all for retconing it just because you dislike the death of Hicks and Newt is a pretty tell-tale, butt-hurt, boo-hoo-type scenario (to use your terminology) , before it is one, to cry over the retcon.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: CainsSon on Jun 02, 2016, 03:24:01 AM
He also said something to the effect of "...Then I realized there was the potential for another film with Ripley. Maybe even more..."

That was after he spoke to Sigourney.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed