A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection?

Started by Perfect-Organism, May 18, 2016, 02:47:00 AM

Author
A way to make Blomkamp's Alien work without retconning Alien 3 or Resurrection? (Read 34,988 times)

Ultimate badass

Thanks for reply. However with regard to the years, what I meant is for example 2/3 years, would be the equivalent of say 10 years ageing to the body. So the cost of 10 years general prison - food, shelter, operational cost, problems with inmates causing violence etc vs plugging in a crio-tube for much less time, to effectively steal years from them as punishment - to me would be less cost. The drugs would be administered by the tube itself to bring on the aging process more quickly effectively damaging the body more quickly. The whole dream thing, drugs could be used to bring on bad dreams as kind of punishment or the story could just be that the tubes are designed so you dream heavily to keep the mind stable and active for long periods of time. Thus possibly explaining the events of last two films as vivid dreams.
Just an idea I had few years ago, realise won't be for everyone. I think given there has been suggestion they won't discount the other two films may not work. But would be a way you could introduce and older Ripley, Hicks, as their current characters if that's the direction they take.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ultimate badass on Dec 15, 2016, 08:31:41 PM
My thoughts for Alien 5, would be as follows. It would be set around 5 years after events of aliens 2. Now the sulaco that hicks, ripley, newt and bishop were on clearly is going back to earth or nearest human space station etc. So I think once they have returned and woken up they are tried and sentenced in prison or military prison for damage to colony, disobeying orders etc. You won't see this bit but will be refrence to it. So in the future instead of going to a jail for tens of years, costing massive sums of money, prisoners are put into hypersleeps in which you are given drugs to encourage tormented dreams and also age more quickly. So for instance 3 years maybe 15 years of aging to the body. This saves prison services huge cause costs and discourages crime as they are not simply asleep they have bad/stressful dreams etc. This explains the age difference of biehn and weaver and also may provide explanation for 3/resurrection as dreams.
By looks of it those teaser pics looks as though remains of Colony and egineer ship have placed either in a large warehouse on lv-426 or onto a large ship, for recovery and analysis. Whatever the case once served prison time hicks and Ripley, are forced to go back as advisors to help with operation or threatened with further prison time etc. Wherever it's set, all hell breaks lose and down to those two to save the day.

But why all this hypersleep prison stuff? Why not just let the film take place 30 years after the events of Aliens?

And Ripley previously deliberately blew up an M-Class star freighter (a rather expensive piece of hardware) without having criminal charges filed against her. Why would she now be held liable for the accidental destruction of a colony? Hicks can't really be held responsible either.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Ultimate badass on Dec 16, 2016, 01:03:38 PM
Thanks for reply. However with regard to the years, what I meant is for example 2/3 years, would be the equivalent of say 10 years ageing to the body. So the cost of 10 years general prison - food, shelter, operational cost, problems with inmates causing violence etc vs plugging in a crio-tube for much less time, to effectively steal years from them as punishment - to me would be less cost. The drugs would be administered by the tube itself to bring on the aging process more quickly effectively damaging the body more quickly. The whole dream thing, drugs could be used to bring on bad dreams as kind of punishment or the story could just be that the tubes are designed so you dream heavily to keep the mind stable and active for long periods of time. Thus possibly explaining the events of last two films as vivid dreams.
Just an idea I had few years ago, realise won't be for everyone. I think given there has been suggestion they won't discount the other two films may not work. But would be a way you could introduce and older Ripley, Hicks, as their current characters if that's the direction they take.

The movie doesn't have to begin with them waking up from hypersleep. Lol.

Russ

Regardless, the idea of sentencing means that you are biologically aged a certain number of years is an awesome one. I love it.

Ultimate badass

My thoughts would be given WY/company know that the derelict space craft still exists, as that was along way away from the blast, damage would have been minor if any. Therefore If they are so desperate to get hold of an egg, plus investigate what happened to Hadleys hope they would likely send a team to investigate pretty quickly. Cannot see them waiting 30 years. On the teaser pics looks as though the derelict ship is in some sort of warehouse or possibly salvage ship. Which makes me thinks events must be in the relative short term after Aliens. Obviously there could be a delay of 5 years or so and travel time etc. I could well be completely wrong but was just a thought I had.
I think the criminal charges would be combination of all the damage ripley has left in her wake and could be a corrupt way by the company of not letting them talk, as they want to keep this all hush hush but don't want to kill them both due to the knowledge/experience they posses etc. Ripley/Hicks know the company wants to use the creatures in their bio weapons division, as per actions of Burke, so I think there would be repercussions for the two once back at Earth. So hence theory of hypersleep prison and no talking until called back into action.

PsyKore

I don't really buy the whole induced age thing; it doesn't seem very grounded to me. But I do like the idea of WY wanting to hush them up and perhaps even painting them as criminals to cover up the whole thing.

windebieste

I don't buy it either.  It reeks of shoehorning old 9and deceased) characters into the movie just to accommodate the Cult of American Celebrity Worship rather than concentrating on a good story. 

-Windebieste.

Ultimate badass

I probably think far too much inside the box however cannot get my head around how couldn't be set in near future after events of Aliens, as surely WY would just go back to the derelict ship and that's that. Teaser pics seem to suggest that. But obviously the age difference of characters in near future is always the snag. Sure the plot will be probably something totally unexpected and cannot wait  ;D

HuDaFuK

I've yet to hear a single idea for making this work with the existing films that isn't stupid.

Russ840

Russ840

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 22, 2016, 09:55:19 AM
I've yet to hear a single idea for making this work with the existing films that isn't stupid.

lol dude. I don't think such an idea exists.

The only idea that I will remotely buy into is the dream thing, which is a cop out.

Prologue scene shows them asleep. Being woken up and Ripley makes a comment about awful dreams of death and things she can't fathom now she is awake.

Digitally de age her for this prologue and then jump 30 years.

Still a fanfic idea but it would at least be simple and then the film could move on.

Ideally just have blomkamp make a 5th movie, based after 3 and feature new characters and a new story.  Don't shoe horn in dead characters.

The Cruentus

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 22, 2016, 09:55:19 AM

Winde already said, make an alien film with new characters.
Which I would agree to, the only reason I am even half on board for the retcon is because it will eliminate Resurrection and the magic egg thing in Alien 3, and restore the realistic tone that Resurrection toppled.
Other than that I enjoy both films, I don't mind that Hicks and Newt are dead, it sets the tone, and resurrection, I enjoy it as a parody, I don't take it as a true Alien film.

I think we could all agree (or perhaps the majority) that AVP films does need retconning, especially the second film.

Lonely Universe

I feel like the best way to make it work is to simply not acknowledge 3 & Res at all. Do a new story with Ripley & co that picks up 30 years after Aliens.

Fans of the original timeline can choose if they like the new version better. If not, A3 & Res still exist. Simple.

My dream is that one day there will be a box set, 'The Canonical Alien', that will include a recut of Prometheus, the prequels, Alien, Aliens, & Blomkamp's film.

OpenMaw

There is one semi-clever idea I just had with regards to Resurrection.

At one point Ripley says something about when she wakes up it's always worse...

The Cruentus

Quote from: Lonely Universe on Jan 01, 2017, 06:35:32 PM
I feel like the best way to make it work is to simply not acknowledge 3 & Res at all. Do a new story with Ripley & co that picks up 30 years after Aliens.

Fans of the original timeline can choose if they like the new version better. If not, A3 & Res still exist. Simple.

My dream is that one day there will be a box set, 'The Canonical Alien', that will include a recut of Prometheus, the prequels, Alien, Aliens, & Blomkamp's film.

That is still just a retcon...

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Lonely Universe on Jan 01, 2017, 06:35:32 PMMy dream is that one day there will be a box set, 'The Canonical Alien', that will include a recut of Prometheus, the prequels, Alien, Aliens, & Blomkamp's film.

I'd suggest the chances of them binning 3 and 4 like that - and thereby throwing away the chance to make any more money on them - is slim to none.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed