Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced!

Started by alienscollection.com, May 10, 2016, 08:21:28 PM

Author
Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced! (Read 107,880 times)

Engineer

Ah! Ok I get what you're saying now. But I'd agree, the telepathic abilities of the alien is not a new concept, and that doesn't bother me. What does bother me was HIS telepathic link and the way it was handled. And the descendent of ripley thing and the alien grudge against his bloodline *rolls eyes* I mean honestly, what are the chances of Ripley's descendant being on the same planet hundreds of years later, now being terraformed, and an accident spills his blood giving the aliens his scent and motive to carry out their revenge? Flimsy. I think the story would have been much better off if he had no relation to ripley and no telepathic link. Just another guy who stumbles onto the aliens. I did want to find out more about what would happen on lv178, I just wish it had been a different story ultimately.

Anyway, sorta getting off topic now, sorry about that... back to bug hunt now.

SM

If there was no telepathic link and no connection to Ripley there was no reason for him to be sent back to LV-178.

Russ840

Pretty sure that he was not telepathic. He was Empathic, no ?

The Cruentus

Quote from: Russ840 on May 06, 2017, 10:01:59 PM

Decker is classed as a low-level telepath but yes his ability was empathic which is too far fetched for my tastes. First we get superhero hybrids called Ripley 8, now there are psychics.....The Alien series just doesn't seem to be satisfied with telling a gritty and realistic down to earth story.

Russ840

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 06, 2017, 10:06:21 PM

Decker is classed as a low-level telepath but yes his ability was empathic which is too far fetched for my tastes. First we get superhero hybrids called Ripley 8, now there are psychics.....The Alien series just doesn't seem to be satisfied with telling a gritty and realistic down to earth story.

I didnt mind the Empath elements throught the original comic series. It was always the queen doing it and thought that was a nice addition.

SM

Yeah lets ignore everything else they've done in the last 20 years.

The Cruentus

Quote from: SM on May 06, 2017, 10:11:24 PM

Yeah lets ignore everything else they've done in the last 20 years.

Who's ignoring? I said Alien series, mainly as of now. The first three films were quite grounded bar a few things. Then the EU started with the psychic nonsense among other things, Resurrection added superhumans, Rage trilogy added
Spoiler
a form of immortality or delayed aging by a mcguffin...though since I read it once and fast, I might have missed something there.
[close]

Ultramorph

In Rage War's defense
Spoiler
the extended life thing was explained by alien goo they found beyond the Human Sphere, and was fairly dark in that they lived centuries but were basically mutants by then.
[close]

The Cruentus

Quote from: Ultramorph on May 06, 2017, 10:20:08 PM
In Rage War's defense
Spoiler
the extended life thing was explained by alien goo they found beyond the Human Sphere, and was fairly dark in that they lived centuries but were basically mutants by then.
[close]

Spoiler
I understood how they achieved their life extension but it seemed poorly done, it was just a plot device that (if I recall from my only one time reading so I might be wrong) wasn't elaborated on much.
[close]

Engineer

Engineer

Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe lol

Quote from: SM on May 06, 2017, 10:01:21 PM
If there was no telepathic link and no connection to Ripley there was no reason for him to be sent back to LV-178.
Yea that's true... but they could have just gone a different and more realistic approach. i.e., he never got injured and sent back to earth; maybe he fell part way down a shaft and discovered a long buried trimonite mine. Plenty of other ways to tell the story without all that nonsense

Quote from: Russ840 on May 06, 2017, 10:10:33 PM

I didnt mind the Empath elements throught the original comic series. It was always the queen doing it and thought that was a nice addition.
I didn't mind that in the original comic series either... but it was handled very differently here. And I really wanted something more in-line with the realism approach used in the movies, tbh

EJA

How many of the stories in the anthology adhere to the new EU of the recent novels and comics? Do any of them stand on their own?

Xenomrph

Quote from: EJA on May 10, 2017, 07:14:24 PM
How many of the stories in the anthology adhere to the new EU of the recent novels and comics? Do any of them stand on their own?
What do you mean by "adhere to"? Do you mean "directly reference", or "don't contradict", or what?

EJA

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 11, 2017, 04:16:37 AM
Quote from: EJA on May 10, 2017, 07:14:24 PM
What do you mean by "adhere to"? Do you mean "directly reference", or "don't contradict", or what?

Directly reference, mostly.

HuDaFuK

With all the Covenant chaos last week, I've only just got around to reading the next story, Exterminators.

Spoiler
The setup was kinda dumb, what with the locals just sitting there being miserable when the Marines walk in instead of, you know, immediately mentioning the terrible shit that's going down. The bugs were a little too derivative of the Aliens, despite being quite different. Acid? Check. Hugging body parts? Check. Laying offspring inside you? Check. But the "birth" scene was undeniably kinda nasty and effective. Dietrich came off as a bit of a wimp compared to the previous story and I also found it distracting how the author made no mention of her being a medic when a medic is exactly what was needed. But despite all that, I thought it was OK.
[close]

So far I'd say there's only one story I've really loved - Reaper - and only one I've really hated - Reclamation. The rest have all been varying shades of meh.

Corporal Hicks

I liked a few more than just the one and there were two I was really disappointed in (Reclamation and Dark Mother, the Burke one?) but otherwise, I agree. I think the over-all feeling of this one was just meh.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed