Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced!

Started by alienscollection.com, May 10, 2016, 08:21:28 PM

Author
Aliens: Bug Hunt - Aliens Anthology Announced! (Read 107,889 times)

HuDaFuK

Got through Blowback last night.

Eugh.

PRJ_since1990

So this is basically a collection of stories, some really great ones surrounded by garbage with a tacky uninspired cover? Would this be one to skip or recommended on the basis of the strength of the good stories? Please let me know, I have some birthday Amazon money to blow.

Engineer

If you're an obsessive collector and/or completionist it's worth it...

It you're not, I guess it would really depend on your tastes in sci fi stories, in which case you should try to read a preview version first to see what you think first.

I'm the completionist type, so I would have bought it no matter what. Plus I managed to get it for pretty darn cheap so I can't complain (less than $9USD).

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: Engineer on May 06, 2017, 01:58:34 AM
If you're an obsessive collector and/or completionist it's worth it...

It you're not, I guess it would really depend on your tastes in sci fi stories, in which case you should try to read a preview version first to see what you think first.

I'm the completionist type, so I would have bought it no matter what. Plus I managed to get it for pretty darn cheap so I can't complain (less than $9USD).
For a cheap price like that, I can stomach the poorly written stories, no doubt. I would like to know if the writing styles are akin to the early DH Aliens story days. For that matter, will this read mostly like an SD Perry novelization?

SM

I'm about half a dozen stories in, and having recently re-read Criminal Enterprise, I think the latter has overall better quality writing.  Maybe not in terms of content by more the style.  Similarly I might check out some non-Aliens stuff by Yvonne Navarro.  I like the way she writes, but find her knowledge of Alien stuff a little lacking.

ClockworkHorror

I like to think of this book as 'Aliens: OH, COME ON! REALLY?!'

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: ClockworkHorror on May 06, 2017, 02:37:36 PM
Lmao

Quote from: SM on May 06, 2017, 02:37:20 AM
I'm about half a dozen stories in, and having recently re-read Criminal Enterprise, I think the latter has overall better quality writing.  Maybe not in terms of content by more the style.  Similarly I might check out some non-Aliens stuff by Yvonne Navarro.  I like the way she writes, but find her knowledge of Alien stuff a little lacking.
I'm currently reading sea of sorrows. I feel largely the same way about James Moore. His writing style is good, but I'm not too fond of the direction of the story... although that may be more Fox's doing than it is James Moore's; they (fox) kind of dictated some of the major plot points, right?

The Cruentus

Quote from: Engineer on May 06, 2017, 03:11:20 PM
Lmao

I'm currently reading sea of sorrows. I feel largely the same way about James Moore. His writing style is good, but I'm not too fond of the direction of the story... although that may be more Fox's doing than it is James Moore's; they (fox) kind of dictated some of the major plot points, right?

Yeah the telepath angle is terrible, they should not have added that in it, other than that, Sea of Sorrows is well written.

drsmuts

Finished it finally.

Not good to be honest. It got a 2 star review in SFX and that's about right.

Russ840

I am really struggling to motivate myself to carry on reading. At.  The moment.  I might sack it off and read Steven King's IT.

Engineer

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 06, 2017, 03:41:58 PM
Quote from: Engineer on May 06, 2017, 03:11:20 PM
Lmao

Yeah the telepath angle is terrible, they should not have added that in it, other than that, Sea of Sorrows is well written.
Yea the telepath thing really bugs me... however, I did like the nod to alien isolation in the beginning, and the Easter egg in the beginning where one of the two men fighting over the core sampler was named after the guy who wore the alien suit in the first movie... that made me smile at least :-)

SM

The telepath thing has always being around the periphery with Alien communication (even if I don't personally care for it).  It was so vague with Decker that it didn't really bug me at all.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Picked the book back up. Finished Episode 22 and Empty Nest. Empty Nest was fun.

Into Darkness Falls now. This one is particular
Spoiler
interests me as far as its chronological setting. The planet is in the Andromeda galaxy, which it seems humans hadn't even reached by the Rage War books.

"Government assured us the last of the Xenomorphs were destroyed more than a year ago." Interesting.
[close]

Engineer

Quote from: SM on May 06, 2017, 09:20:54 PM
The telepath thing has always being around the periphery with Alien communication (even if I don't personally care for it).  It was so vague with Decker that it didn't really bug me at all.
I wouldn't call it vague. His telepathic link was a major plot point. It was The reason he was there, and their only way of telling whether the aliens were near since the motion trackers didn't work.

SM

The way it worked was vague.  He could sense when the Aliens were near but not a great deal else.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed