Blomkamp Shares Newt Concept Art from Alien 5!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2016, 05:41:01 AM

Author
Blomkamp Shares Newt Concept Art from Alien 5! (Read 31,032 times)

Xenomorphine

TAP, I understand what you mean and I'd agree they should really veer off into fresh territory. But at the same time, I can see the value of including a character we're already familiar with, who has prior knowledge of not just the creatures, but the events which we, as the audience, also are.

I also quite like the fact that Hicks may be included (assuming he's not a hallucination, as per Scorpius in 'Farscape'). So long as he's portrayed like the competent military veteran he is, I think his knowledge and mentality could have been infinitely valuable during 'Alien 3'. If he's used that way, it'll be a refreshing change from the Ripley-wakes-up-all-alone-and-nobody-believes-her formula.

So, yes, new territory would be great, but I can also see this is a potentially worthy stepping stone. Especially if an adult version of Rebecca Jordan has the torch passed along to her (even if it'd be more of a poisoned chalice, from the character's perspective).

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 27, 2016, 08:05:00 PM
TAP, I understand what you mean and I'd agree they should really veer off into fresh territory. But at the same time, I can see the value of including a character we're already familiar with, who has prior knowledge of not just the creatures, but the events which we, as the audience, also are.

I also quite like the fact that Hicks may be included (assuming he's not a hallucination, as per Scorpius in 'Farscape'). So long as he's portrayed like the competent military veteran he is, I think his knowledge and mentality could have been infinitely valuable during 'Alien 3'. If he's used that way, it'll be a refreshing change from the Ripley-wakes-up-all-alone-and-nobody-believes-her formula.

So, yes, new territory would be great, but I can also see this is a potentially worthy stepping stone. Especially if an adult version of Rebecca Jordan has the torch passed along to her (even if it'd be more of a poisoned chalice, from the character's perspective).

I always understood Ripley's value in "Aliens", like you said, she was the person who encountered them so her experience and knowledge was very helpful for the Colonial Marines. She chose to bravely go with them rather than stay behind. And her ending up combating the Aliens was more a coincidental outcome due to how events turned out. She never expected the Marines to disarm themselves hallway into the fight due to an atmospheric processor etc.

And she was just unfortunate in Alien: 3, just how she was unlucky in Alien. All the non-Aliens movies are basically Ripley encountering them due to unforeseen circumstances with Aliens being the only one where she actually chose to come to them rather than otherwise.

So this makes me wonder if Blomkamp's film is gonna be like that. Will Ripley encounter them by chance? Or will she be called upon for her experience?

LordCassusSnow

Perfect O. Thats why he's my favorite! Morse: the unsung hero janitor of fiorina 161. Oh you think ripley was the hero in Alien 3? Guess again! Lol

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Apr 27, 2016, 08:58:02 PM
Perfect O. Thats why he's my favorite! Morse: the unsung hero janitor of fiorina 161. Oh you think ripley was the hero in Alien 3? Guess again! Lol

I think nobody was the hero of Alien 3.  Nothing was really achieved.  The Aliens still resurfaced.  Besides that, nothing was really resolved with the bigger picture issue of where they come from and how do we deal with them if we really need to.  That's why I am up for a retcon.  It would be more meaningful I think, if Ripley's character finds out about the meaning behind the Aliens and changes her mind and decides to help W-Y find more specimens.  That would be coming around full-circle, not dying.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 27, 2016, 09:05:24 PMI think nobody was the hero of Alien 3.  Nothing was really achieved.  The Aliens still resurfaced.

That was the fault of the fourth film/EU stories, not a fault of Alien 3 itself. The third movie was meant to be a definitive ending.

LordCassusSnow

LordCassusSnow

I was just joshin about the unsung hero thing. Though it would make a good meme along with newts hide n seek champion of hadleys hope. Also, Hudafuk, i can agree on that.

Lets not forget what weve gotten from Alien 3 though. The Queen Facehugger, the Queen Chestburster and the Alien being able to take on traits of its host to better survive its environment. Meaning if it wasnt for alien 3, we probably wouldn't have predaliens or Kenners Aliens line. Not to mention Neca's upcoming Kenner tribute line.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 27, 2016, 09:09:10 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 27, 2016, 09:05:24 PMI think nobody was the hero of Alien 3.  Nothing was really achieved.  The Aliens still resurfaced.

That was the fault of the fourth film/EU stories, not a fault of Alien 3 itself. The third movie was meant to be a definitive ending.

Indeed. Alien 3 very much achieved something. They destroyed the Aliens. At least, as far as the films were concerned until Resurrection.

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Apr 27, 2016, 08:05:00 PM

That's actually a really good point. One of the big problems with new stories with new characters is the characters having to relearn everything the audience already knows. It gets mildly tedious at some point and having them return would be a way to solve that. There are other ways, of course, but this one has the benefit of existing character history with the audience and a shared knowledge.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 28, 2016, 09:56:53 AMIndeed. Alien 3 very much achieved something. They destroyed the Aliens. At least, as far as the films were concerned until Resurrection.

And even then you could argue it was only man's meddling that undid her actions, and not for another 200 years.

PsyKore

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 28, 2016, 10:16:34 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 28, 2016, 09:56:53 AMIndeed. Alien 3 very much achieved something. They destroyed the Aliens. At least, as far as the films were concerned until Resurrection.

And even then you could argue it was only man's meddling that undid her actions, and not for another 200 years.

This is exactly right. Ripley was successful at destroying the species, "for all intents and purposes she succeeded". That was one aspect of Resurrection that I actually liked; that it didn't devalue her sacrifice, her era had come and gone and the film essentially tried starting a new arch. Just a shame the film didn't turn out well.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: PsyKore on Apr 29, 2016, 01:15:23 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 28, 2016, 10:16:34 AM

This is exactly right. Ripley was successful at destroying the species, "for all intents and purposes she succeeded". That was one aspect of Resurrection that I actually liked; that it didn't devalue her sacrifice, her era had come and gone and the film essentially tried starting a new arch. Just a shame the film didn't turn out well.

Indeed. Spot on. I'm not sure I liked a definitive end though - that's primarily just because I'm selfish and want lots of stories and comics and etc.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

The name of the artist who created this image of Newt is UK based Calum Alexander Watt. You'll recognize his style from his work on Alien: Isolation.

https://twitter.com/CalumAWatt

calumalexanderwatt.com

Corporal Hicks

I should have recognized that! Thanks for sharing.

Corporal Hicks

I asked Calum if he'd done any more artwork for Blomkamp. He gave me ".... :)" so I'm guessing that's a yes.

https://twitter.com/CalumAWatt/status/728280403174285312

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

He also said we're in for "a long wait" with regards to Alienkamp in response to someone else's question.

FiorinaFury161

How did I miss this news? ::)

After reading the comments, I agree that IF Carrie Henn is recast to her role as Rebecca Jorden, we know she has been battling Aliens of her own as a teacher :laugh: I'm ok with a recast, as long as she can still hold her own. Another actor taking her place is ok too. The costume design is, well, sketchy. ;D

As for the comment on reconning the Star Wars prequels, I disagree. At first, I did not want to see them at all. Then one day, I seen Episode 2 on TV and watched it. Was very surprised. At least George Lucas had a major part in all three films... Sometimes I think Episode 3 is my favorite next to Episode 5 or 6. This is coming from a SW fan since 1997 at age 12.   

Sorry for the run on, someone post a pic of Jar Jar Binks getting facehugged or something. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed