The Predator To Be An “Event” Film

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 23, 2016, 03:12:28 PM

Author
The Predator To Be An “Event” Film (Read 31,925 times)

Corporal Hicks

The Predator to be an "event" film according to Shane Black. Speaking to Matt Patches at Thrillist about The Nice Guys, Shane Black has talked a little about The Predator. He talks about what attracted him to the project and his expectations of The Predator:

"They called me and I was reluctant. I said, "Look. You guys at Fox, I mean, I enjoy these movies, but we've been churning out these AVP whatever, they each cost a certain amount of money, they're okay, but there's no effort to elevate them or make them any kind of an event." They're just sort of another Predator. "Oh, there's another one that came out." They said, "What if we said to you we want to reinvent this, and really treat it with as much of an event status, or as much hoopla as we would the Alien prequel, which is coming out also? We really want to make this something. The kind of movie that people line up for." I said, "Really, you'll spend a bunch of money?" They go, "Yep." I go, "Make it really scale, spectacle?" "Yep." "Shit, that sounds interesting."

The preceding film, Predators, was a notoriously cheap film that was put together very quickly. From the sounds of it, 20th Century Fox are upping the ante with The Predator and want something with a much grander scale.

The Thrillist also asked Shane Black about the recent news about Arnold Schwarzenegger, stating that his role in the film was "still in talks."

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainment/nation/the-nice-guys-trailer-shane-black-on-ryan-gosling-and-russell-crowe/

Master

Master

Shit that's good news! This is the way it should go. Make it the way you want, not the way the small budget makes you.

I'm not sure about Arnold though.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Master on Mar 23, 2016, 03:14:29 PM
Shit that's good news! This is the way it should go. Make it the way you want, not the way the small budget makes you.

I'm really glad it sounds like Fox are more invested in it this time around. I want to want to go queue up to see it!

I'm not sure about Arnold though.

I don't want to see him solely because it means I wont get my World War 1/2 or past setting.  :laugh:

Master

I'd so happy with fresh setting. Best Predator films were typical for their genere just with Predator in it.  Imagine classic mafia flick with Predator. Or  during american civil war!

Still I'd prefere my idea of great predator hunt in the desert.

jimmyboy

Great news, this sounds promising - although I thought Predators was very good nayway.

Corporal Hicks

Me too. I thoroughly enjoy all 3 of the films - flaws and all. One of Predators biggest problems was how quickly it was made and just how cheaply too.

Quote from: Master on Mar 23, 2016, 03:35:08 PM
I'd so happy with fresh setting. Best Predator films were typical for their genere just with Predator in it.  Imagine classic mafia flick with Predator. Or  during american civil war!

I've never really thought of a Mafia setting...that would actually work quite well. I'd quite happily take an American Civil War setting too. I think there was a comic that did that actually.

HuDaFuK

While cash doesn't necessarily equal quality, it's good that Fox is willing to invest more in this. The last few films the feature the Predator have definitely had an unmistakeable air of cheapness about them.

Whiskeybrewer

It is great to hear that there is at least some push behind this. The series deserves it

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Mar 23, 2016, 03:59:26 PM
While cash doesn't necessarily equal quality, it's good that Fox is willing to invest more in this.

True, true. I think it's more of a show of Fox willing to actually push the boat out, money-wise.

Mike

Mike

Despite Predators was made less than a year, it's a beautiful looking film I think.

426Buddy

Great news, Fox should have really invested in the AvP films too but better late then never.

These franchises helped make fox the powerhouse it is, they should be putting real money back into them.

PRJ_since1990

It can't be the successful film they want if they don't invest lots of resources into it first.

That Yellow Alien

Despite being more of an Alien fan, I'm actually more excited for this. Everything sounds promising and it finally seems like Fox is treating this property with respect. Hopefully Alien: Covenant will be the same and both franchises will be back on track after being in the gutter for so long.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Mike on Mar 23, 2016, 04:13:37 PMDespite Predators was made less than a year, it's a beautiful looking film I think.

It looked like a bunch of guys walking around a jungle...

It certainly doesn't look bad, but there's no real spectacle, and certainly nothing especially beautiful about it. And that made it feel kinda cheap. Even the original Predator had that insane jungle camp assault at the start to make it feel like they'd actually spent some cash on making the movie. Predators always gives me this nagging feeling that they hadn't spent very much on it. I still enjoy the movie, but the feeling's always there.

The Alien Predator

This is some very exciting and promising news.

I see where everyone is coming from, the sequels all had that aura of cheapness to varying degrees compared to Predator. Even Predator 2, with the decent special effects had this emptiness, something about the suit looked obvious as a suit.

None of the Predators, not even the latest ones could reach the realness look of the first. Yes, you know it's a suit, but it's so real that you kind of forget that for a sec. Especially with his moist skin when he is staring Arnie down at the trap, it looks like a real believable organism there despite being a suit. Almost as if they filmed an actual Predator inspecting Arnie.

P2, as good as it was, you could honestly tell it was a suit. The Elder looked brilliant though, but Pussyface did look very suit-y. Same for the AvP films and Predators Not that it's bad, I loved all the films.

But this news of Fox wiling to invest more sounds promising that maybe this new film will come really close in portraying them as believable life forms once more. If they could do it in 1987, they sure as hell can do it in 2018.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed