Does anyone know how to fix this problem with Dedit?

Started by xTankbeast, Feb 10, 2016, 09:48:43 PM

Author
Does anyone know how to fix this problem with Dedit? (Read 1,042 times)

xTankbeast

Whenever I try to test my map out by pressing the "Run World" button it just displays an error that says "Error copying file cshell.dll". This has happened on every computer I've installed dedit on.

x-M-x

Quote from: xTankbeast on Feb 10, 2016, 09:48:43 PM
Whenever I try to test my map out by pressing the "Run World" button it just displays an error that says "Error copying file cshell.dll". This has happened on every computer I've installed dedit on.

Where is cshell.dll located?

Did you unrez everything first? before using DEdit?

We do have a few mappers on here who will help, hopefully the 'legend windebieste might know'

windebieste

I've never encountered this error.

I have no idea what's causing it.  As x-M-x says, it could be a resource unpacking problem.

Unless, maybe you haven't set the Project directory up properly.

It's been a looong time since I used DeEdit.  Maybe up to 8 years, now.

I'm noticing quite a few people have been playing around with the tools, lately.  Maybe someone else will be able to help.

-Windebieste.

Randomizer

I had that happening to me once, but don't know how I fixed it.

Check the resources, like windebieste suggested.  I do remember looking in there.

xTankbeast

Quote from: x-M-x on Feb 10, 2016, 10:06:51 PM
Quote from: xTankbeast on Feb 10, 2016, 09:48:43 PM

Where is cshell.dll located?

Did you unrez everything first? before using DEdit?

We do have a few mappers on here who will help, hopefully the 'legend windebieste might know'

I have no idea where cshell.dll is, it's definitely not in the AVP2 directory. And yes, I ran unrez.bat

windebieste

windebieste

You should find it in your Project directory:

AvP2\AvP2\cshell.dll

Have you got your directory path set up properly in the Working Directory under Edit >Options >Run?  I'm guessing you have.  It should be directly where the game is installed.  My game is on E:\AvP\, so for me the Working Directory is:

E:\AvP2\

This is different to the 'Project Directory' that you set up in the Processing Options before you compile the map (Ctrl+P) and is the location where all the Project Assets were unpacked to when you ran Unrez.bat.  Once again, my Project Directory is:

E:\AvP2\AvP2\

See if that helps you at all.

By the way, once compiled, you can run the map by pressing: Ctrl+Alt+R

That's really as much as I can tell you.

-Windebieste.

EDIT: Oh, just a small addition; and it may make a difference to you.  In the Edit >Options >Run, leave the Program Arguments as default: -rez AVP2 +runworld %WorldName%. If you choose to continue with advanced editing, you can add the argument -nosnapnocsg to that line to really open up DeEdit's powerful geometry editing mode to its fullest.  It's tricky, but its worth it.

xTankbeast

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 15, 2016, 12:38:35 AM
You should find it in your Project directory:

AvP2\AvP2\cshell.dll

Have you got your directory path set up properly in the Working Directory under Edit >Options >Run?  I'm guessing you have.  It should be directly where the game is installed.  My game is on E:\AvP\, so for me the Working Directory is:

E:\AvP2\

This is different to the 'Project Directory' that you set up in the Processing Options before you compile the map (Ctrl+P) and is the location where all the Project Assets were unpacked to when you ran Unrez.bat.  Once again, my Project Directory is:

E:\AvP2\AvP2\

See if that helps you at all.

By the way, once compiled, you can run the map by pressing: Ctrl+Alt+R

That's really as much as I can tell you.

-Windebieste.

EDIT: Oh, just a small addition; and it may make a difference to you.  In the Edit >Options >Run, leave the Program Arguments as default: -rez AVP2 +runworld %WorldName%. If you choose to continue with advanced editing, you can add the argument -nosnapnocsg to that line to really open up DeEdit's powerful geometry editing mode to its fullest.  It's tricky, but its worth it.

Yeah cshell.dll isn't there. I've got my directories set up and everything an the map compiles fine. I just can't test it through Dedit. This means that I have to take my .dat file and put it in the UMP2 folder and run UMP2 with Avp2 to test my map. It works but it'd just be more convenient to test it through Dedit.

x-M-x

I would 'start again'

re-install the tools and unrez the lot of it.

something isn't right here.... or could it be your security perhaps? deleting  a.dll by avp2 a false report?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed