Was Lex from AVP or Kelly from AVPR the stronger female protagonist?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 08, 2016, 01:44:21 PM

Was Lex from AVP or Kelly from AVPR the stronger female protagonist?

Lex: AVP
17 (73.9%)
Kelly: AVPR
6 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author
Was Lex from AVP or Kelly from AVPR the stronger female protagonist? (Read 8,199 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 10, 2016, 09:41:57 PMSo it looks like I'm the only one who knew who Kelly was going into this thread. :-\

I did actually know, but only because of the actress, not the character :P

426Buddy

To be fair I only watched AvPR once, so the only thing I remember clearly is not wanting to watch it again... Oh and Wolf was done well, best pred since P2 IMO

whiterabbit

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 10, 2016, 09:46:20 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 10, 2016, 09:41:57 PMSo it looks like I'm the only one who knew who Kelly was going into this thread. :-\

I did actually know, but only because of the actress, not the character :P
I thought Kelly was the blond chick that got a stomach full of Predator ninja star... but alas it was that military chick. Which brings up the fact that no one even knew she was there and able to fly the helicopter. Poor Kelly was expendable.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 10, 2016, 09:41:57 PM
So it looks like I'm the only one who knew who Kelly was going into this thread. :-\

No, I know who Kelly O'Brien was but let's face it.. Lex stood out more.

predxeno

I recall I did a Hottest Women thread for the AVP movie franchise and no one any of the names of the women in AVP.  :laugh:

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 11, 2016, 01:51:14 AM
I recall I did a Hottest Women thread for the AVP movie franchise and no one any of the names of the women in AVP.  :laugh:

I... don't see any of the women in AVP like that. Whether they be canon or non-canon.  :laugh:

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 10, 2016, 09:41:57 PM
So it looks like I'm the only one who knew who Kelly was going into this thread. :-\

So have you always liked AVPR Predxeno? If so, what drew you to the film to like it so much? I knew who Kelly was....welll maybe  :laugh:

But still, with the film being practically universally hated what makes it a redeemable film in your eyes?

predxeno

Yeah, I've always enjoyed the film since it first came out, I recently bought the Master Set for Inkworks' trading cards which wasn't cheap let me tell you that, lol.  I know it isn't the most popular film in the franchise but I found it grossly entertaining when I saw it. 

I've never really understood why people hated it tot the extent that they did, and often for the most trivial things like having children die, having Aliens die, being too much like a slasher film, etc. all of which were in the previous films albeit offscreen.  Looking back on this year's own reboots and remakes I feel I can say that AVPR in no way disrespected its franchise the way many movies are disrespecting their own; Jurassic World turned the franchise from a suspense thriller to a comedy action flick, Terminator: Genisys (another film I like but is hated) retconned the entire film franchise, and Star Wars literally just ripped off its predecessor's plot.

I've been considering making a thread asking fans what they detested about AVPR and comparing to other movies in the franchise and films released this year, but just never got around to it.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 11, 2016, 06:54:49 PMI've never really understood why people hated it tot the extent that they did.

Because the script is abhorrently terrible. It's one of the lamest, most uninspired, most unoriginal pieces of crap I've ever seen in a big-budget franchise picture. It has no originality, no interesting concepts, and tries to cover it all by piling on tons of unpleasant gore. It's such an appallingly immature movie.

Valaquen

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 11, 2016, 07:06:34 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 11, 2016, 06:54:49 PMI've never really understood why people hated it tot the extent that they did.

Because the script is abhorrently terrible. It's one of the lamest, most uninspired, most unoriginal pieces of crap I've ever seen in a big-budget franchise picture. It has no originality, no interesting concepts, and tries to cover it all by piling on tons of unpleasant gore. It's such an appallingly immature movie.

Some people just like dross. I've seen fans absolutely vaunt this movie because 'Wolf is cool'. That's it! It bewilders me... but then again one of my favourite movies is the 1985 armwrestling-trucker Stallone movie, Over the Top, simply because it's so cheesy. But then again I'd never argue it was an objectively good movie.  'I enjoyed it' is not correlative to 'It's good'.

predxeno

predxeno

Funny story, I rewatched Alien like 5 days ago and I found that film to be absolutely BORING; it takes such a long time for anything to happen and when it does I just couldn't engross myself in what was happening.  When comparing Alien to AVPR, I noticed that both are slasher type films but I never quite understood why some like Alien more than AVPR, AVPR's story progressed faster than Alien's.  Btw, I know Alien's characters are more fleshed out but I felt closer to AVPR's characters; bear in mind though that despite the R rating, AVPR was aimed at teens which I happened to be when I first saw it.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 11, 2016, 07:11:06 PMIt bewilders me... but then again one of my favourite movies is the 1985 armwrestling-trucker Stallone movie, Over the Top, simply because it's so cheesy. But then again I'd never argue it was an objectively good movie.  'I enjoyed it' is not correlative to 'It's good'.

Oh, of course. I like my fair share of bad movies too. But a film has to have at least some redeeming feature for me to enjoy it. Even if that one feature is unintentional comedy.

AVP:R has no redeeming features. It's one of only a very tiny handful of movies I've ever seen that I consider irredeemably shite. It's not just the worst Alien/Predator film by a long way, it's one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my entire life.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 11, 2016, 07:17:57 PM

Funny story, I rewatched Alien like 5 days ago and I found that film to be absolutely BORING; it takes such a long time for anything to happen and when it does I just couldn't engross myself in what was happening.  When comparing Alien to AVPR, I noticed that both are slasher type films but I never quite understood why some like Alien more than AVPR, AVPR's story progressed faster than Alien's.  Btw, I know Alien's characters are more fleshed out but I felt closer to AVPR's characters; bear in mind though that despite the R rating, AVPR was aimed at teens which  I happened to be when I first saw it.

Yeah... ALIEN is a masterpiece and one of the best sci-fi/horror movies ever made. There shouldn't be any need to defend this title, it is an example of amazing atmosphere and tension.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: 420Buddy on Feb 11, 2016, 07:44:00 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 11, 2016, 07:17:57 PM

Funny story, I rewatched Alien like 5 days ago and I found that film to be absolutely BORING; it takes such a long time for anything to happen and when it does I just couldn't engross myself in what was happening.  When comparing Alien to AVPR, I noticed that both are slasher type films but I never quite understood why some like Alien more than AVPR, AVPR's story progressed faster than Alien's.  Btw, I know Alien's characters are more fleshed out but I felt closer to AVPR's characters; bear in mind though that despite the R rating, AVPR was aimed at teens which  I happened to be when I first saw it.

Yeah... ALIEN is a masterpiece and one of the best sci-fi/horror movies ever made. There shouldn't be any need to defend this title, it is an example of amazing atmosphere and tension.
For me those long drawn out boring scenes are amazing. From the atmosphere and set designs to the haunting score. Whether it be the cryotube introduction or the ships landing. It was absolutely excellent. However I can also understand where predxeno is coming from. We all love the genre pieces that we are first exposed too. However although I thought Alien was neat I didn't really appreciate all the little things untill much later. In fact I didn't notice all the little sub tones until perhaps the mid 90's. Which was about the time I started to believe that Alien was an outright masterpiece and not just another movie. Which makes sense, the older you get, the more movies you've seen and when you start to think about it some stand out where others are utterly forgettable.

btw I totally love Rocky 4.

Corporal Hicks

Let's not turn this thread into another debate on the quality of AvPR.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed