Ridley Scott confirms Xenomorph!

Started by RakaiThwei, Dec 12, 2015, 12:39:00 AM

Author
Ridley Scott confirms Xenomorph! (Read 33,121 times)

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 20, 2015, 07:45:50 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 20, 2015, 01:25:47 PMBut I think most people will agree that the design fails to capture the elegance of Giger's seminal masterpiece.

It wasn't meant to.
I would argue that it served its purpose: a horrifying cross-breed of Xenomorph and Human. However, most folks, including myself, don't find it appealing the same way Giger's Alien is a horrifying alien creature bred from a human host. I liken it to being horrified versus terrified, or grossed out versus scared shitless.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Dec 21, 2015, 02:53:27 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 20, 2015, 07:45:50 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 20, 2015, 01:25:47 PMBut I think most people will agree that the design fails to capture the elegance of Giger's seminal masterpiece.

It wasn't meant to.
I would argue that it served its purpose: a horrifying cross-breed of Xenomorph and Human. However, most folks, including myself, don't find it appealing the same way Giger's Alien is a horrifying alien creature bred from a human host. I liken it to being horrified versus terrified, or grossed out versus scared shitless.

Simply put, the newborn lacks a certain je ne c'est quois.  It's just not a compelling monster.  Something is missing.

NickisSmart

I think you mean, "Je ne sais quoi."

Eldritch_DM

The Newborn or "Oatmeal Alien" as I call it could've been cool had they gone with the design that was in Whedon's original script. It was much cooler and scarier I think that what we got. Oh well...  ::)

Corporal Hicks

I like the concept of the Newborn - and I'm sure many do! Just the design people aren't fond of. Personally I would have preferred something more akin to the Raven or the original Alien without the cowl.

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 21, 2015, 08:35:47 AM
I like the concept of the Newborn - and I'm sure many do! Just the design people aren't fond of. Personally I would have preferred something more akin to the Raven or the original Alien without the cowl.

This would have been perfect. Something tells me the "big boy" is going to be something classic as well as fresh.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 21, 2015, 08:35:47 AM

For me make that white and slightly translucent and that would have been a perfect Newborn

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Lord-Naraku on Dec 21, 2015, 07:55:03 AM
The Newborn or "Oatmeal Alien" as I call it could've been cool had they gone with the design that was in Whedon's original script. It was much cooler and scarier I think that what we got. Oh well...  ::)

Are there any images of this original Whedon Newborn design?

Elmazalman

Excellent news.Maybe now we can see the 'black egg on legs' stage.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 21, 2015, 03:03:53 PM

I vaguely remember some sort of artwork in the storyboards but I don't remember them ever doing the spider-style thing.

Here's a thread with some stuff in: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=49640.0

wmmvrrvrrmm

Certainly hasn't been seen

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 22, 2015, 01:05:41 PM

I vaguely remember some sort of artwork in the storyboards but I don't remember them ever doing the spider-style thing.

Here's a thread with some stuff in: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=49640.0

Some of those pics were really cool to see.  Thanks for the post.

bobcunk

bobcunk

I liked the new born to be honest. I found the humor and over the top feel was spot on to the feeling of the comics of the time.

Someone

Someone

No the jockeys size is fine. The only reason it looked so big in the original was the use of Scott's kids to scale it up...it was never intended on being elaborated on when it was first made. So they were concerned with how to make something that big be able to move and interact. They were plenty big enough in Prometheus.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed