Ridley Scott confirms Xenomorph!

Started by RakaiThwei, Dec 12, 2015, 12:39:00 AM

Author
Ridley Scott confirms Xenomorph! (Read 33,457 times)

itshouldneverhavebeenabug

itshouldneverhavebeenabug

One thing that bothered me is that at the very end of Alien we got to see the Alien as a whole, when it was floating in space before getting burned. Up until then it was part of the darkness in the ship and you only got to see glimpses of its head, body ... what it was in its entirety was a mystery and your imagination had to compensate for what you didn't see, to me that is classic horror direction and the making of a good scary film. Darkness has such a basic sense of fear that with the Alien submerging and merging out of it made the Alien almost personify our primal fears of the dark, and those worst fears personified when the Alien gets you seeing it only for a fleeting glimpse, infact very Bacon like if you look at his work there are only glimpse of form and it disturbs you. That's my take on how the alien should be again, just find someway to submerge it into the darkness that our imagination can help build our fear based on the limited windows we get to see its form, which I feel is why Alien worked so well. Art nowadays is derided because form is king over shadow and light, which the masters used to create art from. Art almost becomes illustration and its grandeur is lost, very much like the Giger's original art used in films after Alien.

I guess it won't be done but its those moments where Ridley just let it run in Alien that are the best moments, no dialogue, no soundtrack, albeit with ambient atmospheric sounds in the background. The sort of scene where if someone knocks something off the table, i.e. in the med room in Aliens, you actually jump. And I'm not mixing it ups with quoting Aliens in there and defeating my own arguement, I'm supporting it as up until then in Aliens you were still dealing with the fear that Alien gave you. After the "this time its war" aliens kicked in it was an action film and the alien was demoted to a Jaws like creature that didn't scare me and then a jurassic park like creature with the queen. I think horror can be an art and if Ridley can make Covenant with an Alien that just makes you jumpy thinking about, then he's migrated it back into the darkness and fears of our subconsciousness and recreated the art of his original and showing reverence to Giger as an artist and not taking his art as illustration.

In my view the original translucent designs and the photos I've seen would be a good start to bring its disturbing mystery back to its horror roots.

Flexserve

Flexserve

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Dec 16, 2015, 11:34:32 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 16, 2015, 09:03:42 PMThe potential of the creature to do something unseen, yet worse to you than just acting like a lion/tiger/bear, has always worked wonders to elevate it above the villains from slasher films.

Very good point. The concept of getting eaten or mauled to death by an animal is sort of part of our DNA. We fear it, but we're not horrified by it.

Like when we created DRAGONS.. it's inherently scary because of our roots.. snake mixed with tiger..mixed with hawk/eagle (large bird) all things that prey upon and hunt without conscience. All things that animals are afraid of mixed into one. There is a certain psychology there that I find neat.

Alien 3 has a couple lines calling the alien a "dragon" found this to be neat.

Perfect-Organism

And then what makes the Alien so much scarier is that it has no eyes.  Its been said that the eyes are the portal into the soul.  Even if you are faced with a lion or a tiger, you have the sense that you are dealing with a creature that is capable of similar emotions on some level.  I mean we all love to see those images of a lion and her cubs.  With the Alien, you can never have that connection because there is no eye contact.  That takes it into a territory that is disturbingly psycho sexual.  Mama parts and papa parts have no eyes either.  Scariest monster design ever.  Giger was brilliant..

Xenomorphine

Yeah, the dragon analogy in 'Alien 3' was something I liked. It works on the same level as the stuff in 'Predator' to give the creature a mythical status. That was also an element I liked about the first of the AVP films, where there were references to them being termed 'serpents' (although, while that had some great legendary links it could have led to, I never quite understood why the Aliens would have been termed as snakes, considering the engravings were all of them with arms and legs, rather than chestburster stage).

windebieste

They're probably using the word 'serpents' to represent a metaphor or other symbology or other cultural significance.  Serpents in ancient cultures represent many different things than what we would attribute to them today.  An Alien's morphology, including limbs, may have nothing to do with the descriptor.

-Windebieste

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: oduodu on Dec 16, 2015, 02:32:08 PM
Alien 3 had the best scene in the series . When ripley went looking for the alien and then found it : the way it climbed out and handled her.

Agreed. Although, there's a lot of scenes in A3 that are the best in the series. That film is definitely flawed, but there's still so many aspects and parts of that film that are brilliant.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 17, 2015, 09:49:35 PMYeah, the dragon analogy in 'Alien 3' was something I liked.

Another scene I've always lamented the loss of is when Golic sees the Alien as though distorted by imaginary flames and heat after he gets a faceful of Boggs' blood, then later when it's in the fire after the explosion it's distorted in exactly the same way. It would've tied nicely into the Dragon thing, but they dropped it for some reason.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 18, 2015, 08:41:14 AM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 17, 2015, 09:49:35 PMYeah, the dragon analogy in 'Alien 3' was something I liked.

Another scene I've always lamented the loss of is when Golic sees the Alien as though distorted by imaginary flames and heat after he gets a faceful of Boggs' blood, then later when it's in the fire after the explosion it's distorted in exactly the same way. It would've tied nicely into the Dragon thing, but they dropped it for some reason.

God, that would've been badass.

BringbackJonesy!

@ Perfect-Organism -  You're right.  The lack of eyes is absolutely the creepiest aspects of the facehugger, chestburster, and adult 'alien' stage, as far as I'm concerned.  And this was the case with Cameron's 'Queen' too.

...which is one of the main reasons that the 'Newborn' in Alien Resurrection was so ridiculous-looking.  But I'll be removing the worst shots featuring it's eyes in my own planned re-edit of the movie, as it looks far more 'alien' and intimidating in the shots where it seems to only have dark eye-sockets with no eyes.  I can't believe the makers added them in the first place, as the creature just left me cold with it's mournful, 'puppy-eyes'!

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: BringbackJonesy! on Dec 18, 2015, 09:46:48 PM
@ Perfect-Organism -  You're right.  The lack of eyes is absolutely the creepiest aspects of the facehugger, chestburster, and adult 'alien' stage, as far as I'm concerned.  And this was the case with Cameron's 'Queen' too.

...which is one of the main reasons that the 'Newborn' in Alien Resurrection was so ridiculous-looking.  But I'll be removing the worst shots featuring it's eyes in my own planned re-edit of the movie, as it looks far more 'alien' and intimidating in the shots where it seems to only have dark eye-sockets with no eyes.  I can't believe the makers added them in the first place, as the creature just left me cold with it's mournful, 'puppy-eyes'!

The eyes were the biggest problem with the Newborn IMO.  But unfortunately it made sense with the story seeing as how Ripley needed to relate to it as though it were human.  She would not have been capable of that connection if it had no eyes.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I must be the only person who doesn't mind the Newborn design. The character wasn't utilized properly at all, but I quite liked the messed-up design.

Ultramorph

I liked the Newborn, too. I thought the puppy dog eyes were suitably unnerving.

whiterabbit

The new born was ugly and creepy as hell. I don't think they could ever use it again without people bitching about how it sucked in A|R.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 20, 2015, 10:20:28 AM
I must be the only person who doesn't mind the Newborn design. The character wasn't utilized properly at all, but I quite liked the messed-up design.

The new-born made sense in the context of the film.  Even the design made sense.  But I think most people will agree that the design fails to capture the elegance of Giger's seminal masterpiece.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 20, 2015, 01:25:47 PMBut I think most people will agree that the design fails to capture the elegance of Giger's seminal masterpiece.

It wasn't meant to.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed