Ridley Scott confirms Xenomorph!

Started by RakaiThwei, Dec 12, 2015, 12:39:00 AM

Author
Ridley Scott confirms Xenomorph! (Read 33,627 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 16, 2015, 10:19:36 AM

Yeah, the loss of the cocoon scene really hurt the film.

Sadly thats because Giler and Hill kept changing everything. The amount of stuff they put in and took back out within a few days was exhaustingly confusing.

Also dont get me started on Hill and Giler lmao

oduodu

oduodu

Alien 3 had the best scene in the series . When ripley went looking for the alien and then found it : the way it climbed out and handled her.

atlantis

atlantis

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 12, 2015, 03:11:38 AM
What's sad is that Giger won't be around to be properly utilised for this.

I agree

bobcunk

bobcunk

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 16, 2015, 10:19:36 AM
The Runner design in Alien 3 is actually probably my favourite in the series. I love how predatory it looks. It's too bad they did such a bad job of portraying the puppet in the film.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2015, 08:27:47 AMIt bothers me that that Alien didn't try to kidnap people instead.

Yeah, the loss of the cocoon scene really hurt the film.

That would have been nice, but wasn't it there only to protect the queen in ripley?

pred169

pred169

Quote from: oduodu on Dec 16, 2015, 02:32:08 PM
Alien 3 had the best scene in the series . When ripley went looking for the alien and then found it : the way it climbed out and handled her.
I agree.
And don't forget the scene where it's in the lead mold with ripley. Crazy with rage and as soon as Dillon touches her....pure focus.
That to me was terrifying. Not to mention when Dillon started to climb and it mirrored him all the way back down. The direct challenge between Dillon and the beast was to me a sign of purpose for the alien. I interpreted that scene as the alien protecting the queen embryo more so than just mindless killing machine.

But I'm am on the fence about the emergence of the xenomorph in the upcoming film. If not done properly I feel like they could smear the name farther than it already has been.
   I share the same thoughts as corporal on this one as well and have to ask...what brought about the change. Why the sudden interest in going back to the xenomorph when he has clearly stated multiple times that he is done with the beast.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: oduodu on Dec 16, 2015, 02:32:08 PM

Love the scene in the extended version when Ripley is found on the beach. It looks great!

oduodu

oduodu

Some of the visuals were awesome in that movie. The atmosphere was well done.

The First Child

The First Child

There are so many incredible unused stories from the alien franchise from the alien learning to speak to the munk planet to the usused original Prometheus story.

Perfect-Organism

There's no denying what a great film Alien 3 was in terms of visuals.  As a stand-alone film it is quite excellent.  As a follow-up to Aliens it is terrible and feels very contrived.  I mean if you were going to go into this film without knowing anything that went on before, you would love it.  But seeing how it destroys everything Aliens builds up and with such wanton abandon, just makes the film irredeemable..

Plagueharvester813

I liked it when we were all still guessing who and what the Space Jockeys were. The two prequels have started to ruin the mysterious feel Alien had, as well as the expanded universe, kind of like Star Wars 7.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: itshouldneverhavebeenabug on Dec 15, 2015, 08:29:54 PM
Hear, Hear HuDaFuK re Alien 3. Alien 3 had so much going for it, unfortunately not the Alien design, who thought it would be a smart move to have a cheetah-like Alien that hunted prey with speed, where's the horror in that? Alien's alien was so horrifying, it seemed that you'd almost hope that it just kills you. A lesson to be learned.

I think speed can be useful, if it's done to give emphasis to viciousness. Aliens could go through groups of people like living chainsaw and it could be a terrifying sight - if it's done right.

The creature has always been a mixture of deliberate stalking and quick striking/abduction. Like a shark or spider.

With that said, I don't think the creature effects of 'Alien 3' managed to emulate that well. It just always looks fake and fails to sell the central premise of it being a living horror. A few really great instances of acting, but the monster stuff failed to convince.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2015, 08:27:47 AM
It bothers me that that Alien didn't try to kidnap people instead.

Truly! The potential of the creature to do something unseen, yet worse to you than just acting like a lion/tiger/bear, has always worked wonders to elevate it above the villains from slasher films. It's always been a prospect which hovers at the back of your mind, every time you see a victim being taken.

We didn't originally see the cocoon sequence from 'Alien', but the possibility was still worked into other stuff. Saying how nothing was found around Dallas' flamethrower. Not knowing what the heck happened to Lambert. Then later, in 'Aliens', nothing even happens during the Marines' first foray into the colony, but it's kept really tense and those mentions of not finding any bodies, even amidst the sight of a last stand... It's seriously eerie, man.

The first might have been a haunted house, but by the time we follow them into the nest, the sequel has become like wandering into Dracula's crypt.

A lot of the power of the creature was diminished by completely removing those aspects. It turns up, randomly kills someone and then buggers off. It just... Feels very different. A dangerous animal, sure, but you know you're getting the kind of quick death the first two instalments deliberately hinted might not be a possibility for their victims.

The closest it came to that were the strange 'mauling'-like actions it was undertaking with the prisoners, but it was never clear what was going on during those (so much so, that parts of fandom began to speculate in the 1990s that it might have been attempting to emulate the 'humping' instinct of its canine host, to assert social dominance), because the actual bodies didn't seem to have any actual clothing or flesh removed. Especially during Dillon's death, when he's just angrily shouting, "Is that all you've got? Is that all you've got?!"

It's a world removed from the death scenes of Brett and Lambert, where you get the sense that just being close to the thing would make someone want to turn inside-out with primal revulsion.

If there had been a cocoon scene, it would have returned some much-needed undertones of dread to the creature's motivations, rather than the more simplistic opportunistic kills which we view.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: plagueharvester813 on Dec 16, 2015, 08:59:33 PM
I liked it when we were all still guessing who and what the Space Jockeys were. The two prequels have started to ruin the mysterious feel Alien had, as well as the expanded universe, kind of like Star Wars 7.

Well this is a big risk.  I mean we've been wondering about the Space Jockey since 1979, so if the reveal is not spectacularly compelling, it can be a let-down.  As it is, I think it has divided the fans into 2 camps.  I mean I think it is very cool that we actually found ourselves within the Engineers, but at the same time, the whole idea ceases to be very "alien".  I mean, its us.  If anything, we become alien, and perhaps that is an even greater shock...

pred169

pred169

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 16, 2015, 09:03:42 PM
Quote from: itshouldneverhavebeenabug on Dec 15, 2015, 08:29:54 PM
Hear, Hear HuDaFuK re Alien 3. Alien 3 had so much going for it, unfortunately not the Alien design, who thought it would be a smart move to have a cheetah-like Alien that hunted prey with speed, where's the horror in that? Alien's alien was so horrifying, it seemed that you'd almost hope that it just kills you. A lesson to be learned.

I think speed can be useful, if it's done to give emphasis to viciousness. Aliens could go through groups of people like living chainsaw and it could be a terrifying sight - if it's done right.

The creature has always been a mixture of deliberate stalking and quick striking/abduction. Like a shark or spider.

With that said, I don't think the creature effects of 'Alien 3' managed to emulate that well. It just always looks fake and fails to sell the central premise of it being a living horror. A few really great instances of acting, but the monster stuff failed to convince.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2015, 08:27:47 AM
It bothers me that that Alien didn't try to kidnap people instead.

Truly! The potential of the creature to do something unseen, yet worse to you than just acting like a lion/tiger/bear, has always worked wonders to elevate it above the villains from slasher films. It's always been a prospect which hovers at the back of your mind, every time you see a victim being taken.

We didn't originally see the cocoon sequence from 'Alien', but the possibility was still worked into other stuff. Saying how nothing was found around Dallas' flamethrower. Not knowing what the heck happened to Lambert. Then later, in 'Aliens', nothing even happens during the Marines' first foray into the colony, but it's kept really tense and those mentions of not finding any bodies, even amidst the sight of a last stand... It's seriously eerie, man.

The first might have been a haunted house, but by the time we follow them into the nest, the sequel has become like wandering into Dracula's crypt.

A lot of the power of the creature was diminished by completely removing those aspects. It turns up, randomly kills someone and then buggers off. It just... Feels very different. A dangerous animal, sure, but you know you're getting the kind of quick death the first two instalments deliberately hinted might not be a possibility for their victims.

The closest it came to that were the strange 'mauling'-like actions it was undertaking with the prisoners, but it was never clear what was going on during those (so much so, that parts of fandom began to speculate in the 1990s that it might have been attempting to emulate the 'humping' instinct of its canine host, to assert social dominance), because the actual bodies didn't seem to have any actual clothing or flesh removed. Especially during Dillon's death, when he's just angrily shouting, "Is that all you've got? Is that all you've got?!"

It's a world removed from the death scenes of Brett and Lambert, where you get the sense that just being close to the thing would make someone want to turn inside-out with primal revulsion.

If there had been a cocoon scene, it would have returned some much-needed undertones of dread to the creature's motivations, rather than the more simplistic opportunistic kills which we view.

I agree with pretty much all of that. Especially about the cocoon scene. However I disagree about the display of dominance. I recall the original alien carrying out similar attack traits on Brett. During the scene with dillon (one of my favorites btw) there was blood spraying while they were intertwined. It looked to me like he was lacerating the coratid artery and jugular. I took this as more of a bloodlust or even an anger based attack because Dillon came in contact with the host vessel of the future queen.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 16, 2015, 09:03:42 PMThe potential of the creature to do something unseen, yet worse to you than just acting like a lion/tiger/bear, has always worked wonders to elevate it above the villains from slasher films.

Very good point. The concept of getting eaten or mauled to death by an animal is sort of part of our DNA. We fear it, but we're not horrified by it.

Corporal Hicks

I've always found the true horror of the Alien in being what would happen if you are taken away. Whether it was the cut eggmorphing from Alien or the hive of Aliens - that fate is far worse than that of mere death. That's what gave me nightmares for so many years.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed