Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover)

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 11, 2015, 12:07:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover) (Read 130,683 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on Dec 23, 2015, 12:27:02 AM
Predator could have benefited from R-rated dialogue

The older, earlier Predator comics were rife with expletives such as shit, f**k, bitch, ass, and a whole other slew of words. Not to mention the violence factor back then was cranked up to eleven.. The newer comics now, well... they come more off as PG-13. Violence is toned down, words are censored.. Yeah.

Ultramorph

Yeah, things are a bit more tame now than the height of 90s EXTREME:laugh:

happypred

I loved Predator Concrete Jungle (the comic...I love the game too, but that's another matter)

The Alien Predator

I wonder if there'll be more Engineer vs Predator fights here, and if they'll use some tech or be the brawly big dudes again.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Dec 23, 2015, 02:13:13 PM
I wonder if there'll be more Engineer vs Predator fights here, and if they'll use some tech or be the brawly big dudes again.

If there is going to be some fights, I would really like to see a more even better.. I get that a lot of people see the Ahab vs Engineer fight as being the way a fight between a Predator and Engineer should be, but I disagree with that view as Ahab was old and becoming decrepit (he was past his prime, and needed the aid of a grappling hook to get around), so if there are more fights.. I'd like to have for a Predator in his/her prime, with a considerable amount of skill, fighting evenly with an Engineer without being thrown around like a ragdoll.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Dec 24, 2015, 01:17:53 AM

If there is going to be some fights, I would really like to see a more even better.. I get that a lot of people see the Ahab vs Engineer fight as being the way a fight between a Predator and Engineer should be, but I disagree with that view as Ahab was old and becoming decrepit (he was past his prime, and needed the aid of a grappling hook to get around), so if there are more fights.. I'd like to have for a Predator in his/her prime, with a considerable amount of skill, fighting evenly with an Engineer without being thrown around like a ragdoll.

I would actually forego the whole idea of pitting them both against each other in a mere show of brute strength and would instead prefer to see them pit their wits against each other.  Or better yet, I'd prefer for the Predators and Engineers to no longer co-exist in the same universe.  AVP just seems like a childish "Dracula vs. Frankenstein" idea to me now...

happypred

Like the idea of a tactical battle of wits between the two

I'd prefer a good PvP (Predator vs. Prometheus/Engineer) story to nothing at all

I'd prefer nothing at all to a really bad or childish PvP story

The idea itself is only as childish or silly as the writers/artists make it

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 24, 2015, 02:29:12 AM
Or better yet, I'd prefer for the Predators and Engineers to no longer co-exist in the same universe.

I agree with you here... to a certain point. At least they can co-exist in one universe, and not co-exist in another. I'll take the universe where they don't co-exist, or rather-- at some point did but the Engineers are a long dead race.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 24, 2015, 02:29:12 AM
AVP just seems like a childish "Dracula vs. Frankenstein" idea to me now...

I strongly disagree with this.

Corporal Hicks

I would have liked to have a seen a less brute force fight too. I was actually pretty disappointed the Engineer didn't try and whip out some sort of cool tech.

happypred

happypred

He whipped it out against a bunch of aliens...apparently he doesn't always keep it on him and likes a good punch-up every now and then

Ahab was old and becoming decrepit (he was past his prime, and needed the aid of a grappling hook to get around)

Had the exact same thought back when first reading
Quote from: happypred on Nov 01, 2014, 03:25:08 AM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Oct 27, 2014, 03:34:50 PMI liked his grappling hook. Low tech and a cool new device.

It could be implying that Ahab is too old to be leaping around, he has to rely on a grappling hook

However, Ahab is a tough old man (Galgo even calls him that)

After the Engineer fight, he recovers remarkably well from being pummeled, arm snapped, knee kicked in

Killing the Engineer (with Galgo's help) seems to have rejuvenated him...he shows good agility until he gets an attack of weak legs in the contracting tunnel

The Alien Predator

Yeah, I'd love to see a Predator in their prime fight an Engineer.

Or, imagine if one Predator hunts a group of them like in the first film? That'd be pretty cool to see, the ultimate hunter instilling fear even in this ancient race.

And the Engineers do seem to feel fear, judging by the screams from the one about to be cuddled by the Trilobite.

Oh God, how badass would it be to hear the Predator mimic Engineer speech?

"Var vule kreda, varr gurdno nayaaa.... UAAAA nolum..." A mixture of booming Engineer voice with metallic Predator playback.

Ultramorph

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Dec 24, 2015, 02:14:33 PM

"Var vule kreda, varr gurdno nayaaa.... UAAAA nolum..." A mixture of booming Engineer voice with metallic Predator playback.

That would be pretty cool! I share the hope that we get more varied Predator vs. Engineer fights, I especially want to see the Engineers use their tech more. Hopefully they do more than wander around and look mysterious, which is basically what they did in FaS.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Ultramorph on Dec 24, 2015, 07:57:59 PM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Dec 24, 2015, 02:14:33 PM

That would be pretty cool! I share the hope that we get more varied Predator vs. Engineer fights, I especially want to see the Engineers use their tech more. Hopefully they do more than wander around and look mysterious, which is basically what they did in FaS.

I recall reading somewhere that the Engineer in FaS used a weapon that could disintegrate creatures, is this true? Also he apparently performed autopsies on things, (not sure on what, were they humans or?)

I'd like for this new comic to expand a bit on their culture, even if it's just humans walking around observing their murals and making theories on the artworks.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Yeah, the Engineers have rifles that can disintegrate a horde of xenomorphs in one blast. We only see them use it once. As far as the autopsies, we seen two (assumingly) human corpses on what look like examination tables in the downed Juggenaut.

I agree, they should take more advantage of human characters speculating. They did it a bit in Aliens: FaS, but they could have done much more.

Ultramorph

One thing that occurred to me the other day: if they're following the Fire and Stone formula, that means four 4-issue mini-series. That being said, they've only solicited one series, Predator, so far, so they might be releasing this one series at a time, rather than all together like they did with FaS. That means it might take well over a year for all of this to come out. 16 months from March 2016 is June/July 2017. That's just a few months before Alien: Covenant is set to come out. That makes me think that the Prometheus or Aliens leg of this could be getting the "Official Prequel Tie-In" treatment.

TL;DR: this whole thing could wind up tying in closely with the upcoming movie, which potentially bodes well for it having a meaningful story.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed