What's Wrong With AvP?

Started by overthere, Dec 05, 2015, 12:25:08 PM

Author
What's Wrong With AvP? (Read 33,279 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: PsyKore on Apr 21, 2016, 11:23:37 PMAvP is f**king rubbish. Don't excuse it. Don't look back and think, "aww it's not that bad." No. It is bad. It's really bad. 0/10 is what I give it.

It's bad, but no way is it a 0/10 movie. It had at least some merit. The setting at least is very visually appealing.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I would give the first 6/10, AvPR 3/10

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 22, 2016, 07:44:58 AM
Quote from: PsyKore on Apr 21, 2016, 11:23:37 PMAvP is f**king rubbish. Don't excuse it. Don't look back and think, "aww it's not that bad." No. It is bad. It's really bad. 0/10 is what I give it.

It's bad, but no way is it a 0/10 movie. It had at least some merit. The setting at least is very visually appealing.

I stand by my 0/10. It is absolutely awful. Cringe-worthy, embarrassing, insulting, awkward and downright bad.

One merit could be Lance Henrickson, he's good as to be expected, but it still doesn't change the movie.

If you're interested, AvP:R is -10/10.

Infected

Infected

What i hate about those movies for instance, they show a lot of predator stuff like the homeworld (avp2)  and like the ship that fires through the ice thats like stuff we dont need to see if it aint done correctly and it isnt done correctly it looks like a scene from Captain Power back in the day, a pred sitting on a throne waiting for this and that, i would rather see that they are some space pirates or creatures that nomadding through the galaxy with a code and law they live by,
and upgrade every once in a while by tech they find or steal from other species, not a homeworld where they live like gods and sit on throne to wait for a 911 call in the galaxy.

Then predators only go to very hot places, entering a facility somewhere in the middle of Hoth nahh not gonna happen,
his primaire helmet vision is about heat signatures for f**k sake doesnt that ring a bell besides the extreme hot places he went to before, MR Anderson?

and then the humans go in like a bunch of numbnuts, and the chambers shift and the queen gets defrosted etc.

Come one you got 70 milion dollars budget, Predators got only 40 milion Prometheus got 130 Aliens even had 18 milion dollars to spend, and he came up with this, im surprised we didnt got Mila Jovovich as the leading female role.

Imo you got two options, or you do it on a unkown planet where it hot and you have a human exploration group with a bunch of marines that are there to assist in need, and they are investigating some kind of alien esque settlement or structure similar tot the space jockey's derelict crash site but with even more mystery to it and weird findings and a new weird looking xeno that is nasty or mean, and then you have humans f**king each other over and you have the overseer a predator or maybe two but the second predator shouldnt be revealed to later on, some sort of teacher to the younger one.
the movie we got wasnt even comic book worthy

oh yeah i forgot option two is you just go back to f**king Hadleys Hope.

Randomizer

Randomizer

I think that windebieste's map, Under the Hunter's Moon, makes me love AvP more than I should. I honestly try not to think of that when it comes to reviewing the movie.   ::)

TITANOSAUR

TITANOSAUR

I guess I am the black sheep in this site as I kinda grew to like it. try as you might but how many of us were excited that an AvP movie was being made? who here was caught up in the hype? I know I was. the alien and predator finally on the big screen about to go head on into an acid blood drenching, Wristblade slashing, bone shattering battle. and despite our complaints. the movie DID what it promised, wether we like how it turned out or how bad the effects were. the movie promised the alien and predator to fight for the first time which it delivered Alien vs Predator.

now I did say I like the film. but because I like B Monster movies with guys in dodgy rubber monster costumes overacting the creatures movements to where it's awkward. I like the film but only for what it is. while I don't like Anderson's director style and his "Make everything bigger!" Mentality, I still saw a guy who wanted to entertain us and was still a fan of at least one of the series.

I do have some issues with the film like anyone else. I hate the Predator designs. they are too bulky, disportionant, and the colors are bland and terrible. and when you take Scar's mask off it's obvious a rubber mask. I don't like the over sized armor and Plasma casters and it makes me feel like they're "compensating for something" if you catch my drift.

and the aliens. OH MY GOD don't get me started on the aliens. Tom woodruff is NOT an alien suit actor. they need to give it to someone else and for the love of all that is unholy they need to trash the A:R aliens. I've always saw that alien design as too fleshy, the first three aliens had an exoskeleton, they looked armored and well protected. like a predator smacks the thing with a spear and the spear is more likely to break before the alien's armor does. the A:R designs feel floppy, soft, and weak. they look like wet sponges flopping about. they aren't scary, and I always see the damn things in fanart and websites.

those are my major gripes of the film. I honestly just skip over the human and story parts cuz we all know that arguement. I would like to see the studios drop trying to reboot the alien and predator franchises and give AvP another chance. reboot it give it the treatment they did with the Dark Knight, make the films dark with a three film story arc. make the story unique instead of trying to copy the comics or make it a sequel to the other films. No more ignoring Predator 2 or A:R. just make AvP it's own series seporate. an alternate universe. I don't care if i has marines or not. just make it unique, fun, and all kinds of crazy crap that's awesome. that's the problem with the A/P Franchise. instead of making it's own thing the movies instead try and copy what was done before. and when they do try something new (predator 2 being in a city instead of a jungle I.E.) the fans shoot it down and hate it.

Anyways before I continue my old man rant. i will say I'll acknowledge the fact the film has it's issues. but I like it as a dumb popcorn flick. that's all.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: TITANOSAUR on May 20, 2016, 06:44:33 AM
I guess I am the black sheep in this site as I kinda grew to like it.

I've always loved the film. So... you're not the only black sheep.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I think there's a lot of fun to be had in AvP. And the hype leading up to the film was just great fun. It still turned out not to be the AvP we wanted nor was it a great film. I can still watch and enjoy it though but I'm holding out for my real AvP.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I've come to enjoy AVP as a piece of trashy entertainment if I'm in the right mood, but if it wasn't a part of the Alien/Predator franchise I doubt I'd ever have bothered to watch it again. It's not a good movie.

Considering what it could've been, it's incredibly forgettable.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 20, 2016, 08:53:55 AM
I've come to enjoy AVP as a piece of trashy entertainment if I'm in the right mood, but if it wasn't a part of the Alien/Predator franchise I doubt I'd ever have bothered to watch it again. It's not a good movie.

Considering what it could've been, it's incredibly forgettable.

That's a perfect assessment. I do think the film gets some representation of the creatures right though. And that's something I've only recently come to appreciate.

TITANOSAUR

TITANOSAUR

Ian Whyte wasn't bad as the predators but he really did an amazing job as Wolf Pred.

Woodruff's performance never convinced me, it worked for Alien 3 since the creature acted different enough. but he's too short and just makes the alien into an oversized raptor cockroach.

Primordial

Primordial

AvP : 7,25/10 ; AvPR : ...have to watch it again, I fell asleep the first time  ;D

I'd rather rewatch AvP than Predator 2. The good points of this movie for me is the setting, some pleasant effects for the eyes, a quite good pacing (although sometimes a bit fast), and having a tight match between the Aliens and the Predators.

What doesn't work : aside from forcing 2 different creatures into a movie, I'd say globally it is 'over the top' : The interspecie fight doesn't seem too realistic (it is like comparing Prowrestling and MMA) but the Predators are more faithful to the image I had of them ;
Another example : too many aliens going on top of the pyramid in a weird manner, followed by an unreal predator explosion. Visually entertaining ok, but... Having Alexa depicted at first as a strong woman only to exaggerating her fear afterwards.. her managing to escape the Queen etc...

The chestburster scene was also a bit cheap. It is crucial to make it right, such a legendary scene as this one. Conclusion : I'm not another black sheep, but a grey one  :P

System Apollo

System Apollo

It was a mediocre film.
Opinions tend to clash depending on how high one's expectation is and/or how faithful one is to the franchise.

Other than that the general consensus is that it was poor in pacing, scripting and screen performance. Which is why the PG13 rating was a good direction to take it in seeing as younger audiences in majority would condone such qualities in a film. It was merely a summer blockbuster created for profitable gains and it succeeded, that's it.

AvP Requiem on the other hand...  :laugh:

WY Corporate

WY Corporate

As for Anderson's AvP (2004), I really like it!  :D

10 Likes:
I like the great miniature sets (whaling station during destruction and the pyramid exterior)
I like Lance Henriksen playing Bishop Weyland (great and logical deal for him being the template for the android Bishop in Aliens and AlienĀ³)
I like Sanaa Lathan (yeah, she's hot AND can still convince as the tough and resolute guide she is meant to be - but also somehow frightened in the right moments)
I like the team up between Woods and the remaining Predator (even the honor given to her at the end was just a fantastic idea)
I like Harald Kloser's Soundtrack (still his best work so far)
I like how the warrior aliens freed the Queen (besides Aliens and Alien: Resurrection, I never saw acting the Xenos so clever and tactical)
I like the finale at the whaling station with the Alien Queen (and the improvised manner how they finally got rid of her)
I like how the Queen got her screentime finale (as a fan of Cameron's fantastic Aliens I really appreciate such rare opportunities)
I like the last Predator depicted as some kind of tragic hero in the end
I like Evan Bremner, he's just a funny and very sympathetic guy
Bonus point:
I like the penguin what spooked Bremner (just sweet)  ;D

Enough pros on my record to like it ...  ;)

It's at least an enjoyable and entertaining movie, featuring two of my favorite movie characters at once clashing each other ... It's my second King Kong vs Godzilla!  :D

As for AvPR ... no comment!  ::)

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: WY Corporate on May 23, 2016, 10:56:15 AM
It's at least an enjoyable and entertaining movie, featuring two of my favorite movie characters at once clashing each other ... It's my second King Kong vs Godzilla!  :D

That's how I look at AVP, because well.. I grew up watching those old Kaiju films, especially the Showa era Godzilla films and King Kong vs Godzilla happened to be one of them. Maybe it's this childhood influence which allowed me to enjoy the film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed