Aliens 30th Anniversary: The Original Comics Series (Original Dark Horse sequel)

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 16, 2015, 06:20:23 PM

Author
Aliens 30th Anniversary: The Original Comics Series (Original Dark Horse sequel) (Read 39,259 times)

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Yes, one could argue that that was part of the original unabridged art.  Yes it appeared after the series was complete but it featured Mark A Nelson's art and it was done for that book.  Future printing covers were completely unrelated to the original work, but I guess that is common in the industry.  It's no big deal really.  The big deal here is that Hicks and Newt are back.  Respec!

I used to have a poster of that Alien hanging in my bedroom as a kid, lol

Origin

Origin

Fun fact:

In the TPB reprintings that changed out Hicks & Newt as "Billie and Wilks", some of the references to their original names were left untouched (and probably in error).

Not only was it infuriating (at the time) to see that the names had been changed, it was ultimately confusing because of the occasional slip-up in the edit.

SO HAPPY this is the original print.

*EDIT* This was only the case with Volume 2 I think, actually. The one reprinted as "Nightmare Asylum".

Born Of Cold Light

This is one of the greatest comics series' based off a movie of all time, rivaled by the first Crimson Empire.  The authors were really trying to flesh out a truly cinematic, mature story, not just crank out something easily discarded in order to get some quick cash off Aliens' popularity.  I honestly think that no other Aliens comic story is quite on the same level as Volume 1.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Nov 18, 2015, 03:51:24 AM
This is one of the greatest comics series' based off a movie of all time, rivaled by the first Crimson Empire.  The authors were really trying to flesh out a truly cinematic, mature story, not just crank out something easily discarded in order to get some quick cash off Aliens' popularity.  I honestly think that no other Aliens comic story is quite on the same level as Volume 1.

Hear, hear.  Within just six issues, this book introduced us to some of the most memorable characters in the Aliens universe.  Each one seemingly received just a few panels yet it feels like you learn enough to write a compelling book about each one:

The traitorous Stephens,
the sociopath Massey,
the android Butler, unaware of his nature as an android,
the pragmatic and cynical Dr. Orona,
the religious zealot Salvaje,
the greedy, evil corporate psychopaths Horner and Ted Ostrow
the freelancer cable guy/ chestburster victim Maris,

and not to be forgotten, Hicks and Newt.

It was a stellar ensemble.  We need more books of this calibre.  I hope Verheiden, Nelson, and Beauvais come back to working on Aliens books soon...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Origin on Nov 18, 2015, 01:35:19 AM
In the TPB reprintings that changed out Hicks & Newt as "Billie and Wilks", some of the references to their original names were left untouched (and probably in error).

Not only was it infuriating (at the time) to see that the names had been changed, it was ultimately confusing because of the occasional slip-up in the edit.

I hated seeing them talk about Drake and Vasquez on the Rim mission. The whole renaming thing was a fair shout but they could have done a better job in the edit.

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 18, 2015, 08:04:24 AM
Quote from: Origin on Nov 18, 2015, 01:35:19 AM

I hated seeing them talk about Drake and Vasquez on the Rim mission. The whole renaming thing was a fair shout but they could have done a better job in the edit.

I was laughing at that last night whilst flipping through my TPB. That was poor.

It seems Dark horse fails a bit with editing. Did anyone notice that the Prometheus complete fire and stone still has the error during the Field report story was not rectified for the hardcover. The error I mean is the switching of Burke and Gormans names with Hicks is recording. What makes it worse is that Gormans name was used correctly three pages before.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 18, 2015, 04:49:15 AMHear, hear.  Within just six issues, this book introduced us to some of the most memorable characters in the Aliens universe.

And let's not forget "Red", and "Green" :laugh:

Honestly, once again I'm just baffled beyond words that you mange to pile quite so much undeserved praise on this fairly run-of-the-mill and thoroughly clichéd story. You act like it's Shakespeare when it's not even nearly anything of the sort.

I mean, seriously? The "most memorable characters in the Aliens universe"?! I honestly can't comprehend where you get things like that from.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's a very important entry in the Aliens EU - at least, the old one. It introduces a lot of elements that are pretty much carried on throughout later entries and to be fair, there's a lot in there that I love too. I do think the story tries to do too much within its limited page count though. Character wise, I don't think I'd agree it has the most memorable characters (perhaps except Bueller/Butler, I do love him. I wonder why they changed his name too) but Perfect obviously disagrees with that.

Regardless, I do think it is a vital read for anyone wanting to get into Aliens comics. Having it in the original black and white release is just cake on the icing.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 18, 2015, 09:00:52 AMIt's a very important entry in the Aliens EU - at least, the old one.

I completely understand that. I'm not arguing the story's importance or what it did for the EU.

But when people go over the top lauding it in the fashion Perfect does, I can't help but fell I read a totally different story to them. It wasn't even nearly the kind of all-time masterpiece he makes out. There was little genuine substance to it beyond the opening act.

Russ840

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 18, 2015, 09:14:12 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 18, 2015, 09:00:52 AMIt's a very important entry in the Aliens EU - at least, the old one.

I completely understand that. I'm not arguing the story's importance or what it did for the EU.

But when people go over the top lauding it in the fashion Perfect does, I can't help but fell I read a totally different story to them. It wasn't even nearly the kind of all-time masterpiece he makes out. There was little genuine substance to it beyond the opening act.

It's his opinion. I tend to agree. I love the thing.

Corporal Hicks

I tend to find people who read it first time around hold a higher opinion of it.

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 18, 2015, 09:45:33 AM

I tend to find people who read it first time around hold a higher opinion of it.

I think that's a fair assessment

I consider the second book to be almost a masterpiece.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Russ840 on Nov 18, 2015, 09:36:56 AMIt's his opinion.

Sure.

It just baffles me when he claims things like it having the "some of the most memorable characters in the Aliens universe". I mean, come on, you like it and all, but that's seriously a stretch. Pretty much everybody in the comic was just a flat cliché based on either tired sci-fi tropes or better-developed characters already seen in the film series. They may well be very likeable, but they're hardly all-time classic fictional characters.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 18, 2015, 09:45:33 AMI tend to find people who read it first time around hold a higher opinion of it.

Quite possibly.

All I'll say is, when I finally got around to reading it, after hearing all the hype and adoration, I was nothing but utterly underwhelmed.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 18, 2015, 09:50:31 AM
All I'll say is, when I finally got around to reading it, after hearing all the hype and adoration, I was nothing but utterly underwhelmed.

By all accounts, this was an uncommon sight for movie tie-ins at the time: a faithful entry that was taking itself and the lore seriously. Coming to it after all this time gives a different view on it. It's the same when I hear people bitching about Aliens because "they're all cliches and etc and they've seen it all elsewhere".

Russ840

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 18, 2015, 09:50:31 AM
Quote from: Russ840 on Nov 18, 2015, 09:36:56 AMIt's his opinion.

Sure.

It just baffles me when he claims things like it having the "some of the most memorable characters in the Aliens universe". I mean, come on, you like it and all, but that's seriously a stretch. Pretty much everybody in the comic was just a flat cliché based on either tired sci-fi tropes or better-developed characters already seen in the film series. They may well be very likeable, but they're hardly all-time classic fictional characters.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 18, 2015, 09:45:33 AMI tend to find people who read it first time around hold a higher opinion of it.

Quite possibly.

Perhaps the hype made the read more underwhelming for you.
I get that if I am hyped up for something based on word of mouth. If I'm told something is going to be great or is great, I generally don't enjoy whatever it is that much. And it works he other way for me. I may enjoy something if I'm told it's awful.

Perhaps to 'Perfect' the characters are memorable. If I am honest, Hicks and Newt are what make the book, for me, memorable. The over characters, like you say, I do find cliché. I still adore the book though and can't wait for the new release.

What's your favourite Aliens comic, if I may ?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed