How far into the future is too far for Alien and Predator settings?

Started by The Alien Predator, Nov 05, 2015, 04:25:19 PM

Author
How far into the future is too far for Alien and Predator settings? (Read 3,410 times)

The Alien Predator

As we know, the first three movies of Alien take place in the next century, with Resurrection being three hundred years after now give or take.

And in the EU, Sea of Sorrows is four hundred years while Rage War is six hundred years into the future.

This is what I love about the franchise, how it's got different eras and you can make a great historical timeline of it as well as a future based one.

But how far should it go before you feel it's getting too far ahead? I don't see this franchise going to the levels of Warhammer 40,000 and setting this during the 42nd Millenium (its current real-time setting).

I do like the idea of the Alien and Predator stories being set during the 2700's, maybe all the way to 2900's, but it feels a bit funny once it hits the year 3000. Because a lot can change and stories would have to accommodate the societal and world changes. Rage War did it in a great way, but who knows how far humans will exist for in this franchise.

What say you?

THE CITY HUNTER

I think up to 2500 would be fine.I would not mind some sort of Apocalypse because of a major war between humans and predators.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Nov 05, 2015, 05:49:32 PM
I think up to 2500 would be fine.I would not mind some sort of Apocalypse because of a major war between humans and predators.

I always used to think the 2500's were a good setting, mainly seeing as how Halo is set during that century.

I don't mind that Rage War goes 100 years after that though, I like what it's done with the world which makes me curious to see how different things will be further. But all things eventually come to an end, so there could even be an apocalypse or something.  :P

One of the Marines in the book joked about us wiping ourselves out. Even space cannot save us from ourselves!

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 05, 2015, 06:19:17 PM
Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Nov 05, 2015, 05:49:32 PM

I always used to think the 2500's were a good setting, mainly seeing as how Halo is set during that century.

I don't mind that Rage War goes 100 years after that though, I like what it's done with the world which makes me curious to see how different things will be further. But all things eventually come to an end, so there could even be an apocalypse or something.  :P

One of the Marines in the book joked about us wiping ourselves out. Even space cannot save us from ourselves!
Interesting.

Corporal Hicks

Of late I've found myself drawn to the not to distant future. I prefer bullets and missiles to to lasers.

immortal

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 06, 2015, 07:54:01 AM
Of late I've found myself drawn to the not to distant future. I prefer bullets and missiles to to lasers.

As long as its a dark, dirty, cramped atmosphere rather than a pristine star wars style future, I am happy :)
Lasers are a realistic future advancement in weaponry, but would have advantages and disadvantages like any weapon.

Corporal Hicks

I'm just used to them in Aliens that's why I prefer them. I'm sure if something came along and convinced me otherwise, I'd be absolutely fine though.  :) Conventional weapons are just what I'm used to because that's what is mostly used.

Born Of Cold Light

I would love to see a modified adaptation of this in the Alien universe:

razeak

I don't really care what year it happens as long as some core elements of the series carry over. I prefer bullets in this series to laser weapons. They more "realistic" the tech, the better for me. It needs to stay a gritty, used universe not a clean, pristine Star Trek.

Equipping humans with Iron Man type stuff in huge numbers makes it less interesting to me because it removes too much threat from xenos.

Randomizer

Anywhere up until 2700, let's say 2800. While I agree we don't need laser guns and all that fluffy bang, it would seem out of place anywhere past this point.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: razeak on Nov 15, 2015, 04:32:39 PM
Equipping humans with Iron Man type stuff in huge numbers makes it less interesting to me because it removes too much threat from xenos.

Completely valid point and an issue I sometimes find irritating me.

whiterabbit

While thinking about this I have to be honest, there's have to come a point where the alien and predator both would simply be absolutely no threat to humans. The alien as it is in the movies; is a beast. The Predator appears to have hit an evolutionary dead end if we are to take literal that they are tribe like hunters with technology. Eventually humanity will superseded them both on the food chain. We're f**king evil. :) If the threat is made public, I'd give it decades with current in universe technology. Say 50 - 100 years and both alien and predator would be nothing more than another bug hunt. Of course a boat full of truckers are still right f**ked. :P

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Randomizer on Nov 15, 2015, 04:50:11 PM
Anywhere up until 2700, let's say 2800. While I agree we don't need laser guns and all that fluffy bang, it would seem out of place anywhere past this point.

I would like to see Alien or Predator stories set in those years.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Nov 16, 2015, 11:20:17 AM
While thinking about this I have to be honest, there's have to come a point where the alien and predator both would simply be absolutely no threat to humans. The alien as it is in the movies; is a beast. The Predator appears to have hit an evolutionary dead end if we are to take literal that they are tribe like hunters with technology. Eventually humanity will superseded them both on the food chain. We're f**king evil. :) If the threat is made public, I'd give it decades with current in universe technology. Say 50 - 100 years and both alien and predator would be nothing more than another bug hunt. Of course a boat full of truckers are still right f**ked. :P

Good point, whiterabbit, I too sort of feel that one day we will surpass even the Predators because look at how slowly they progressed in AvP, they used the same things for at least 6,000 years (ever since the first civilizations sprung up) and we are where we are in Alien in less than a century, heck, look at Prometheus, that's just a few decades from now.

Although the Rage War states Predators progress quickly once you start beating them at certain things, stubborn gits lol.

Frosty Venom

Seeing where the future of the universe is in The Rage War was really quite cool. The way humanity is spread so far across the galaxy that it's really difficult to keep track of everything and unique cultures pop up all over the place.

It did feel a lot like Warhammer 40k, especially with the galaxy wide war setting, but I liked that about it. I feel like a 40k/Alien crossover would work, a chapter of Space Marines purging a Hive World or a Space Hulk infested with Xenomorphs would be badass.

In fact the Aliens Genocide comic with it's Colonial Marines in Z-110 ANCW armor fighting massive hordes of Xenomorphs on their home world really reminded me of when the Emperor's Children held off swarms of Megarachnid on Planet Murder in book 2 of the Horus Heresy.

The Old One

The Old One

I do not enjoy this topic.

I think it's immensely arrogant to believe we'll win.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed