Alien Isolation 2 Seems Unlikely Says Creative Assembly

Started by Darkness, Oct 04, 2015, 03:46:46 PM

Author
Alien Isolation 2 Seems Unlikely Says Creative Assembly (Read 47,819 times)

Mr. Forest

I really wish the game didn't end on a cliffhanger even more now.   :'(

Perfect-Organism

It ends with a cliff-hanger?  Man I have to finish playing this thing.  Just can't get through this android stage.  Boring!

Mr. Clemens

It doesn't necessarily end on a cliffhanger, but it does end on a "There! Will! Be! A! Sequel!" sort of vibe...

Ropley

Ropley

That's the thing about Isolation it ends on ends on a sequel hook but there's no sequel maybe they could make a comic or Fox could make a mini series with the Isolation plot.

Now Isolation wasn't perfect I didn't like the last part of the game that shifted from Horror to action but it's the best thing the franchises has made in over 20 years excluding the recent Alien books for last year.

Corporal Hicks

It was slightly more of a cliff-hanger than how Alien end.

Spoiler
Amanda, having defeated the Alien, ends up adrift in space in her spacesuit. Spotlights shine on her. Then end.
[close]

But I agree - if we can't have another game, I'd like to see her story finished in some other form. I actually really got into Amanda as a character.

newbeing

It's definitely a cliffhanger ending. Everything about that ending is a setup to continue Amanda's story and answer major questions that were left unresolved when the credits started to roll. Not to mention it leaves a big gaping hole between that point in the story and her supposed fate explained in Aliens.

It was the equivalent of Marty McFly getting trapped in the 50's at the end of Back to the Future II. Alien Isolation just didn't bother to have a big TO BE CONTINUED.

It's also just a very poor ending. Not that everything needed to be tied up in a little bow by the end of the game, but some resolution for that character would have been nice.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: newbeing on Oct 08, 2015, 01:00:13 PM
It's definitely a cliffhanger ending. Everything about that ending is a setup to continue Amanda's story and answer major questions that were left unresolved when the credits started to roll.

It's definitely setup for more. But I found it only slightly more a cliffhanger than Alien because she was in a spacesuit (more limited than an EEV) and we saw her imminent rescue. I can't say I felt any significant story threads were left hanging though. What are you referring to?

QuoteNot to mention it leaves a big gaping hole between that point in the story and her supposed fate explained in Aliens.

That would have happened regardless. Unless they went from the end to her on her deathbed saying "boy, I'm glad nothing else ever happened after Sevestapol".

It's also just a very poor ending. Not that everything needed to be tied up in a little bow by the end of the game, but some resolution for that character would have been nice.

She received her resolution. She found out what happened to her mother (the whole point of the game) and she survived the Alien. Granted we don't know who picks her up - but she achieved those very 2 things the game's narrative was built around. The cliffhanger ending nearly parallels Alien IMHO.

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 08, 2015, 01:21:27 PM
It's definitely a cliffhanger ending. Everything about that ending is a setup to continue Amanda's story and answer major questions that were left unresolved when the credits started to roll.

It's definitely setup for more. But I found it only slightly more a cliffhanger than Alien because she was in a spacesuit (more limited than an EEV) and we saw her imminent rescue. I can't say I felt any significant story threads were left hanging though. What are you referring to?

QuoteNot to mention it leaves a big gaping hole between that point in the story and her supposed fate explained in Aliens.

That would have happened regardless. Unless they went from the end to her on her deathbed saying "boy, I'm glad nothing else ever happened after Sevestapol".

She received her resolution. She found out what happened to her mother (the whole point of the game) and she survived the Alien. Granted we don't know who picks her up - but she achieved those very 2 things the game's narrative was built around. The cliffhanger ending nearly parallels Alien IMHO.

***SPOILERS***

Do we know who picked her up or if she was even picked up? Do we know who the survived on the Torrens? Was the Alien even sucked out with her or did she just escape it's grip by ejecting herself? None of these questions are answered. It's all just assumed. And I don't mind endings that leave somethings up the viewers imagination, a good example being Ripley at the end of Alien. Ripley defeats the Alien, fills the audience in to what may or may not happen, goes to sleep and (depending on whether or not you know of the sequels) leaves it up the view to make up what happen next.
Alien Isolation just leaves way too much open with a climax that never sees any resolution, good or bad. That's just poor storytelling. Amanda finding out what happened to her mother, really only plays as a B plot, and is used as a reason for getting her there. As soon as the Alien shows up, she could give two flying f**ks about finding more info about her mother, which to their credit is reasonable. By the end of the game the player wants to know, how is Amanda going to get out of this? The answer is apparently a big "shrug".

Also when I say resolution and spanning the gap between this game and ALIENS, I don't mean explaining every detail of her life after A:I or even having her rescued and one of her rescuers being McClaren (oof that would be a bad ending). What I mean is showing how the character has been affected by this ordeal after the crisis has subsided and how the character moves on from that point. Instead Amanda is left hanging waiting for some other story element to happen.

I can get why people might like this ending. It does have some poetic meaning behind it. The idea that, much like her mother, Amanda has encountered this thing and is never going to be safe from it or that sometimes all you can do is escape from a crisis. However I feel like that could have been extrapolated to a longer ending. The ending we got felt like they were either trying to be too clever or they just ran out of time and were praying that they'd get a sequel.

THE CITY HUNTER

Perfect-Organism

...and this is where I step off this thread.  I don't want to know how the game ends, but I hope it picks up after the longueur of the android section...

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 08, 2015, 03:25:32 PM
...and this is where I step off this thread.  I don't want to know how the game ends, but I hope it picks up after the longueur of the android section...
To be honest the second half slows right down the first half was great

Vertigo

Am I the only person who liked the android section? I appreciated a break from the torment of alien-induced perma-tension. Maybe the section's better at low difficulty levels.

newbeing

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 08, 2015, 03:25:32 PM

Apologies. I should have noted the spoilers. It's difficult to get into how the next game should have continued without getting into the specifics of the ending.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

So 2 million is bad for a Alien game? I still have yet to play game due to being busy with other things. I hate how every game company feels like that everything needs to sell as big as COD or Halo. You don't see Hollywood doing the same for movies. I doubt the people at Hollywood was hoping for The Visit to out gross The Avengers.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Oct 08, 2015, 05:12:56 PM
So 2 million is bad for a Alien game? I still have yet to play game due to being busy with other things. I hate how every game company feels like that everything needs to sell as big as COD or Halo. You don't see Hollywood doing the same for movies. I doubt the people at Hollywood was hoping for The Visit to out gross The Avengers.
Say that to a money corporation that cares only about the bucks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed