Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance

Started by RidgeTop, Sep 30, 2015, 06:29:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Aliens: Defiance (Read 189,167 times)

tyrannosaurusjones

I have a question you guys!

Tranquility base... you guys have any idea what it looks like? I have a vague one in mind, but I figured I'd hit you guys for a "looks a bit like" or "is about the size of". HIT ME!

Corporal Hicks

I can't recall it coming up in any of the comics or books I've read but personally I'd like to see it as some self-contained but pre-fabricated sort of appearance as Hadley's Hope. Or maybe a lattice-work style appearance of Gateway.

HuDaFuK

Something pre-fab would make sense.

Come to think of it, does the EU ever mention whether the moon is actually terraformed, or just colonised with pressurised structures? If it's the latter, pre-fab is kinda the only thing you could do. But if there's an atmosphere you could do a little more construction in situ.

Corporal Hicks

Or perhaps a dome-like structures which internally replicate an eco-system or sprawling metropolis area. I imagine being closer to Earth will mean more developed.

HuDaFuK

Prometheus shows dome-like structures on Mars during the Weyland hologram, so it'd be a nice link to do something similar.

Perfect-Organism

I think the above mentioned solutions are really great.  I think a mix of the Hadley's hope and dome structure as seen in Prometheus would be ideal.  It would definitely be cool to see a personalized touch such as a bar or pub logo or something along those lines as long as it works with the story.

If I could suggest anything, it would be to really work out what the layout is in terms of logic and function and once that is nailed down to stick to it in the actual story.  The example of what I am referring to is the first Aliens vs. Predator series.  Phil Norwood actually created a map of the colony which was then referenced in the comic book.  You could literally look at the panels in the comic and then find that place on the map.  That approach really showed the care with which that colony was put together, and the artist's commitment to detail.  It would be awesome if we could also get a map of Tranquility Base and have it consistently be adhered to in the story.

Corporal Hicks

Perhaps these concepts from Prometheus will be of use?

Heavy picture post contained within spoilers.

Spoiler

[close]

We've got concepts of the orbital stations from the various drafts in the gallery too - http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=300&page=1

Perfect-Organism

Good call on those pics (I think tht's supposed to be Mars right?) Corporal Hicks.

Anybody have that map of the Ryushi colony from Aliens Vs. Predator #1 (The original series)?  I can't find it online..

tyrannosaurusjones

Thanks guys! I was leaning pretty heavily towards the Prometheus domes on Mars, but also considered blending in some Hadley's type structures, and given the Nostromo's refinery structure's similarity to Sevastopol, and how commonly such structures in the real world share structural similarities, similar towers might be in place. Also, given it's probably something of a hub, there'd be landing ports/docks, so I'm sort of thinking I might run with a bit of a mash. Don't be surprised if it looks a little Neo-Tokyo meets Silent Running.

Corporal Hicks

Perfect-Organism

This is the map that I was talking about.  And I'm not suggesting the layout or design of the colony, but the very idea that the artist provided the map as a reference for the story is incredibly cool.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: tyrannosaurusjones on Oct 19, 2015, 05:40:38 PMThanks guys! I was leaning pretty heavily towards the Prometheus domes on Mars, but also considered blending in some Hadley's type structures, and given the Nostromo's refinery structure's similarity to Sevastopol, and how commonly such structures in the real world share structural similarities, similar towers might be in place. Also, given it's probably something of a hub, there'd be landing ports/docks, so I'm sort of thinking I might run with a bit of a mash. Don't be surprised if it looks a little Neo-Tokyo meets Silent Running.

Sounds good.

Don't forget to slip in that Weyland-Yutani headquarters in the Sea of Tranquillity!

Born Of Cold Light

I like the idea of the story taking place on the Moon, as it often gets ignored by many sci-fi writers for not being exotic enough, despite the fact that it is a pretty creepy, ghostly place.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 19, 2015, 07:25:57 PM

That is so cool.  I'll be honest; I almost want this series to be in black and white like the original Aliens series, as color might remove some of the details and the overall cadaver feel to the series.

Corporal Hicks

I'm really digging this black and white. I have to admit I'd be happy to see it without colours too.

HuDaFuK

I find it a bit confusing in black and white, personally. Needs some colour to help everything stand out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed