Michael Biehn "Optimistic" About Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 15, 2015, 11:36:24 AM

Author
Michael Biehn "Optimistic" About Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5 (Read 45,953 times)

Kel G 426

Quote from: Ash 937 on Aug 17, 2015, 11:34:44 PM
I don't think that Alien 5 will target hardcore fans of the series like us.  Most casual fans that I talk to recall the plot line of Aliens but when you ask them about Alien3 ask, "Is that the one where she shaves her head?" and then go on to say that they don't remember that much about the movie except that they didn't like it. 

Alien3 isn't in the collective memory of many people anymore and a lot of the people that are going to see Alien 5 weren't even born when it came out.  That gives FOX a lot of slack if they choose to pick up the franchise at it's most critically acclaimed point and go from there. 

At worst, the move is forgivable to a casual fan and should be understandable to the hardcore fans.  It also offers a lot of potential for success for the studio.

Agreed.

predxeno

Is it even possible to make a great film from a classic movie series?  We all know someone is going to hate it.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 22, 2015, 07:53:00 AM
Is it even possible to make a great film from a classic movie series?  We all know someone is going to hate it.

It's possible, but you have to come to terms as a director with the fact that some will love your work, some will hate it, and others will be like, meh.

NickisSmart

James Cameron made Aliens from a classic film. If he did it, so can someone else.

Promethean Fire

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 15, 2015, 12:24:11 PM

I wonder if he auditioned for Vincent's role in Chappie and lost out to Jackman's greater star power?

Perhaps Corporal Hicks can corner Biehn somewhere and press him for more info?  ;)

I saw Michael at the Glasgow con and he said that the role he auditioned for in Chappie was the role that eventually went to Sigourney.

Xenomorphine

Huh... That makes a whole lot of sense now.

I'd imagine Weaver probably did sell it more. Plus, it balanced out the gender dynamic.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Promethean Fire on Aug 23, 2015, 11:52:02 PM

I wonder if he auditioned for Vincent's role in Chappie and lost out to Jackman's greater star power?

Perhaps Corporal Hicks can corner Biehn somewhere and press him for more info?  ;)

I saw Michael at the Glasgow con and he said that the role he auditioned for in Chappie was the role that eventually went to Sigourney.

I can't remember who posted it - someone on my Facebook but can't recall who - said that Biehn said they were looking to recast Newt with a 29/30 yo actress and that the idea would be Ripley would sort of pass on the torch to Newt. I can't find the frigging source though.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 24, 2015, 01:54:41 AM
Huh... That makes a whole lot of sense now.

I'd imagine Weaver probably did sell it more. Plus, it balanced out the gender dynamic.

Plus it probably gave Blomkamp the opportunity to get Sigourney's ear so he could pitch the Alien 5 project to her.  Smart.

T Dog

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 24, 2015, 07:15:47 AM
Quote from: Promethean Fire on Aug 23, 2015, 11:52:02 PM

I can't remember who posted it - someone on my Facebook but can't recall who - said that Biehn said they were looking to recast Newt with a 29/30 yo actress and that the idea would be Ripley would sort of pass on the torch to Newt. I can't find the frigging source though.
She's not that young but Rachel McAdams would be good.

Ash 937

So that would mean that the franchise would get passed on to another female lead. 

What are the odds that Hicks dies twice in the Alien universe?

System Apollo

Quote from: Ash 937 on Aug 25, 2015, 02:32:15 AM

So that would mean that the franchise would get passed on to another female lead. 

What are the odds that Hicks dies twice in the Alien universe?
:laugh:

The torch passing dynamic is rather odd seeing as Ripley's contact with the alien was rather brief (a few days at most). If this is the case, how will it play out for the audience perceiving the plot? Are we to assume that xenomorphs were terrorizing the universe up until Newt turned 30?

Corporal Hicks

We don't know what's happened in those interim years yet.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 22, 2015, 07:53:00 AMIs it even possible to make a great film from a classic movie series?  We all know someone is going to hate it.

Mad Max: Fury Road shows that it is.

However, for every one Fury Road we have about two dozen crap examples of how to tack a rubbish new entry/remake onto a classic series.

System Apollo

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 25, 2015, 07:21:32 AM
We don't know what's happened in those interim years yet.

I would be looking forward to seeing what might come from it. However, it sounds like a big concept to pull off.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 25, 2015, 11:10:16 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Aug 22, 2015, 07:53:00 AMIs it even possible to make a great film from a classic movie series?  We all know someone is going to hate it.

Mad Max: Fury Road shows that it is.

However, for every one Fury Road we have about two dozen crap examples of how to tack a rubbish new entry/remake onto a classic series.
That's in the eyes of the beholder though. Sure it's critically acclaimed but I've met some Mad Max fans that didn't like it.

Spoiler
I disagreed with them  :P
[close]

HuDaFuK

Sure, you'll always get some people who didn't like it. But overall I'd say it's safe to call it a big success.

The same can't really be said of the vast majority of 80s/90s restart films that have come out in recent years. To be honest, most of them were greeted with a pretty indifferent response at best.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed