Peter Briggs Responds To Sigourney Weaver's Alien vs. Predator Comments

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 22, 2015, 10:35:24 PM

Author
Peter Briggs Responds To Sigourney Weaver's Alien vs. Predator Comments (Read 23,265 times)

Corporal Hicks

The production design of AvP was always impressive. I still think the story as ended up on screen was flawed from inception. As much as I credit Anderson with making the most of the Earth-bound setting (Antarctica was a great way to take it an isolated setting) it still didn't suit AvP.

System Apollo

System Apollo

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2015, 11:32:28 AM
The production design of AvP was always impressive. I still think the story as ended up on screen was flawed from inception. As much as I credit Anderson with making the most of the Earth-bound setting (Antarctica was a great way to take it an isolated setting) it still didn't suit AvP.
No kidding! Although there is no affirmative information on whether Ripley's contact with the alien was the first between humanity and the xenomorphs it was (personally) assumed as the first. And another thing was that the predator only appears in hot climates. In AvP these were ignored or omitted for the setting.

I honestly enjoyed AvP, and it might be frowned upon but it was the film that solidified my fanaticism with the Alien and Predator franchises.

The one thing that upset me however was the origin stories. Hence why I firmly believe that before we see another AvP movie let's wait for the standalone titles to provide us more substance for the monsters through origins and characterizations before they enter a crossover so that they can come in established and without the need to be explained in the crossover film.

Also:
Spoiler
Have one actually win...
[close]

Kel G 426

Lack of tension and unconvincing predator suit work were my biggest problems with AVP.

Corporal Hicks

I don't think origin stories are really necessary. There's some fun/interest in Aliens being bioengineered but even if that's a thing, you wouldn't really need something like that for the Predator. I think that a return to quality would be more preferential to me.

And they'll never let one win over the other.  :P

System Apollo

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 09, 2015, 05:02:28 PM
I don't think origin stories are really necessary. There's some fun/interest in Aliens being bioengineered but even if that's a thing, you wouldn't really need something like that for the Predator. I think that a return to quality would be more preferential to me.

And they'll never let one win over the other.  :P

I see your point. But how do you feel if they attempted to do an origin story in an AvP movie?

:laugh: I know, it might be devastating for the fans of the losing faction.
Spoiler

Even though Predator would win :P
[close]

Corporal Hicks

I wouldn't want an origin story because I don't see the need for one.

System Apollo

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2015, 08:49:35 AM
I agree. But this leads me to ponder what would be suitable as a conflict for both the predator and the alien and how could it be presented in less than 30 minutes?  ???

Milan

Quote from: System Apollo on Aug 10, 2015, 09:02:30 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 10, 2015, 08:49:35 AM
I agree. But this leads me to ponder what would be suitable as a conflict for both the predator and the alien and how could it be presented in less than 30 minutes?  ???

This is my origin story...A long time ago the Predators grew bored and restless with not haveing a prey who provided more of a challenge when hunted, so they set rules for the hunt to make it more challengeing but living and dying by the rules of the hunt didn't leave them satisfied, the hunt, their reason to live had lost it's former glory, the trophies have all lost their "shine". So they made contact with the space jockeys and "tasked" them to design the ultimate prey, a prey who really tested them as hunters and brought back their former days of glory as hunters, hunters who hunted the most dangerous prey the universe had to offer.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed