Peter Briggs Responds To Sigourney Weaver's Alien vs. Predator Comments

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 22, 2015, 10:35:24 PM

Author
Peter Briggs Responds To Sigourney Weaver's Alien vs. Predator Comments (Read 23,248 times)

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jul 23, 2015, 10:11:11 PM
No one will put up the bucks to give AVP any form of justification it deserves. It has potential to be one of the greatest action/horror sci-fi epics of all time, but no one will dare take the risk, especially after the horrendous efforts of the first two films. It needs the Giger Alien, the Winston Predator and someone with a vision more expansive than relegating these two icons to having a drunken fight akin to two piss heads outside a pub which is what Paul Anderson did.

I think this whole Peter Briggs thing is just a storm in a teacup. You cannot expect Sigourney Weaver to accurately recount exact events that went down nearly 25 years ago and Briggs seems to take any opportunity to weigh in on any AVP debate in an attempt to stay relevant.
But the movies had a financial success AVP on its own got more money then A/P combined and FOX still continues the AVP games and  David Woodruff said""I haven't heard anything about a 3rd installment, not even rumors. This Neill Blomkamp project is the first possibility I've seen or heard of of another Alien film and I'm all about it. I know the guys at Amalgamated Dynamics are pushing for something like this too. It's time."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliens_vs._Predator:_Requiem Maybe in the near future we might see an AVP3(in space with marines!)

proto leech

A reboot maybe but the current avps do not deserve to be continued or even remembered. Prometheus was already a soft retcon. A true reboot is the only option. It all depends on blommy now

TheBATMAN

Well the first thing is to not let ADI anywhere near such a project.

AVP might have made money but let's face it, it was beyond awful and is pretty much universally despised barring a small cult following. It wasn't successful enough for someone to take a chance with a big-budget reboot is what I'm saying. Doing an AVP3 with a modest budget just screams cop-out, with Fox looking to make money on the franchise license alone rather than any hope of actually making a decent film. It will only attract sub-par actors and a director whose track record isn't exactly great.

Think of the money and the hype that is being poured into the likes of Batman vs. Superman. That will never happen with AVP now, but had Predator 2, Alien 3 and Resurrection been highly successful it might have done at one point.

Prometheus got the backing because Ridley Scott returned. Would Fox had given it so much if Alec Gillis was directing off a Peter Briggs script I wonder?

Alien 5 is likely getting big treatment because it can be connected to Prometheus and because Sigourney Weaver has been attracted back by Blomkamp's vision. It will also do Prometheus 2 and Scott a favour if he wants to move further away from the xenomorph as Blomkamp's film is there to take care of that fix.

I think AVP as a cinematic franchise is dead in the water.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jul 23, 2015, 11:52:08 PMWell the first thing is to not let ADI anywhere near such a project.

People keep laying the blame on them and I think it's really unfair.

At the end of the day, they produced the effects the director told them/paid them to do.

Corporal Hicks

Indeed. The reasons the Aliens look like they do was because they were just asked to reuse the moulds from the last film where those designs made complete contextual sense.

TheBATMAN

I think you give them far too much credit. If you watch the making-of docs most of the design ideas are their own. The director might ask for a certain look or colour scheme and to tweak small individual features, but the bulk of the alien designs are ADI's own and they're awful. Gillis has even said they purposefully make changes to put their own spin on the creature. Alien 3 looked okay. But Resurrection was horrible, and that was not using re-used moulds. The necks of the creatures in that one are just one big congealed mess which were eventually fixed in AVP Requiem and still looked poor.

And look what they did to the Predator. Granted Anderson wanted them bulkier and with more armour, but ADI did the faces and of course decided that Scar needed to be more heroic and look how that turned out. I won't even go into the rubber dreadlocks and plastic wrist blades.

I've seen their work on other projects and it's fine, but they cannot do justice to the Alien and they have had enough attempts at trying now. People defend them seemingly because there's nothing else to compare them to when it comes to Alien, minus Giger. It's time someone else was given a chance.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Jul 24, 2015, 09:40:47 AM
I think you give them far too much credit. If you watch the making-of docs most of the design ideas are their own. The director might ask for a certain look or colour scheme and to tweak small individual features, but the bulk of the alien designs are ADI's own and they're awful. Gillis has even said they purposefully make changes to put their own spin on the creature. Alien 3 looked okay. But Resurrection was horrible, and that was not using re-used moulds. The necks of the creatures in that one are just one big congealed mess which were eventually fixed in AVP Requiem and still looked poor.

And look what they did to the Predator. Granted Anderson wanted them bulkier and with more armour, but ADI did the faces and of course decided that Scar needed to be more heroic and look how that turned out. I won't even go into the rubber dreadlocks and plastic wrist blades.

I've seen their work on other projects and it's fine, but they cannot do justice to the Alien and they have had enough attempts at trying now. People defend them seemingly because there's nothing else to compare them to when it comes to Alien, minus Giger. It's time someone else was given a chance.
I think they just need a good director i mean seriously Anderson MORTAL COMBAT RESIDENT EVIL!!!!!!! >:( >:(even Anderson wanted them to look heroic for the younger audience for the PG-13 rating

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Jul 22, 2015, 11:27:10 PM
I think Sigourney Weaver generally wanted to be killed off because as she said the formula of her being the only survivor and no one would listen to her was starting to get a little worn out.

The only time I saw Sigourney mention her disinterest on Alien VS. Predator was on a behind the scenes interview of Alien Resurrection and she mentions she was killed off in Alien 3 was partly because of the repetition but also because of the rumors of Fox making AVP.

Clip here, star at 3:33 – 4:22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncAhHeUSdsU&list=PL20F0F6185A9A2FAA

Thanks for linking that video, I've just added the information to http://alienexplorations.blogspot.co.uk/2004/07/sigourney-weaver-vs-alien-vs-predator.html

Xenomorphine

Anderson would've been a great choice if he's had been in 'Event Horizon' mode.

As for ADI, look at their work for the prequel to 'The Thing'. They did some breath-taking Lovecraftian stuff for that. Most of it got swamped over with bad CGI (when the plan was for it to merely augment the transformation process). When they're given the right direction and budget, they can work visual miracles.

And then there's this:

We know that Blomkamp and Scott have both worked with Weta, which means they'll probably be somehow involved, too.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 24, 2015, 02:24:41 PMAs for ADI, look at their work for the prequel to 'The Thing'. They did some breath-taking Lovecraftian stuff for that. Most of it got swamped over with bad CGI (when the plan was for it to merely augment the transformation process). When they're given the right direction and budget, they can work visual miracles.

The Thing 2011 was such a tragedy. ADI did spectacular work and then the director just took a dump all over it.

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Jul 22, 2015, 11:27:10 PM

Whilst she was interested to return if either Scott or Cameron were directing. And they were both intending to work together with her on a fifth Alien during the early 2000's. However Paul W.S. Anderson's Alien VS. Predator pitch killed that project.

Hmm, in 2004 as far as Ridley was concerned, another Alien movie would have depended on the success of AVP, according to his interview with Famitsu Wave.

TheBATMAN

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 24, 2015, 02:27:52 PM
The Thing 2011 was such a tragedy. ADI did spectacular work and then the director just took a dump all over it.

Yes, but ask yourself why. Why would the director suddenly remove more or less completed practical effects and be forced to waste a chunk of his very meagre budget to replace it all with unconvincing CGI if the work ADI did was indeed 'spectacular?' Seeing behind the scenes videos is one thing, but the finished item is much different.

I was as pissed about that design decision as anyone, especially with a creature as iconic as The Thing, but there had to be some motivation behind it.

I just think that if another effects company were given the chance to create the Alien, I believe it will result in a more memorable incarnation of the creature. In fact they would do well to make it look worse. I may be coming across as harsh, but that's my honest opinion.

Xenomorphine

Blomkamp shares a hands-on design philosophy in common with Cameron. He'd be a lot more involved in the design process than most and clearly has an appreciation for the biomechanical aesthetic.

It wouldn't be a case of just getting a team in and going, "Hey, make us an Alien." Especially given how realistic the creature work and - most importantly - motion was in the 'District 9' stuff.

Kel G 426

I wonder what kind of AVP script Briggs would turn in now if given the chance to rewrite it.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Kelgaard on Jul 24, 2015, 06:31:15 PM
I wonder what kind of AVP script Briggs would turn in now if given the chance to rewrite it.
He should direct it like he always wanted to.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed