Sigourney Weaver on Alien 5 – “Neill’s Fulfilling His Childhood Dream”

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 21, 2015, 07:06:05 AM

Author
Sigourney Weaver on Alien 5 – “Neill’s Fulfilling His Childhood Dream” (Read 27,210 times)

Xenomorphine

Everyone assumes LV-426 wasn't once teeming with life...

pred169

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 24, 2015, 12:05:03 AM
Everyone assumes LV-426 wasn't once teeming with life...
"No indigenous life it's a rock"
Quoted from the movie itself so.....no. not teeming with life.

Xenomorphine

Not now, no.

No reason it couldn't once have been and the reason for all those bone-shaped rocks is because it's ancient fossilised hive material.

Engineer

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 24, 2015, 03:28:00 AM
Not now, no.

No reason it couldn't once have been and the reason for all those bone-shaped rocks is because it's ancient fossilised hive material.
I always took those rocks as being natural formations caused by erosion from the severe single direction winds...

whiterabbit

Quote from: Engineer on Jul 24, 2015, 03:32:39 AM
Not now, no.

I always took those rocks as being natural formations caused by erosion from the severe single direction winds...
I always imagined those formations being the remains of humongous aliens... you know, the dorsal tubes sticking out of the ground but I think your idea makes more sense. That or alien drool collecting like Stalagmites in the wind.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jul 23, 2015, 04:51:48 PMAt least with an action prone director like Blomkamp.

District 9 struck a great balance between action and plot. Sure, it had some crazy action movie carnage, but only in the final ten minutes. Most of the rest of the film was far more character-driven. You could say the same about his other films too, except crucially the scripts just weren't strong enough to carry the non-action parts.

That said, I am slightly concerned they might be going for the comic-book, please the children, Aliens-on-steroids approach with the new film. I really hope they aren't.

Corporal Hicks

If it does go the Aliens-action orientated road, I would expect it to be more Aliens than Aliens-on steroids. Alien Resurrection is more of a comic book action film and considering that we're expecting him to ignore Alien 3 and Res, I'd expect him to keep away from the tone of those films too. 

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: pred169 on Jul 23, 2015, 11:06:22 PM
Quote from: tmjhur on Jul 22, 2015, 08:52:29 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 22, 2015, 08:02:00 PM
A Hiveworld of some variety would be nice though. I'd really like to see infestation on a larger scale.

Yeah I think the logical continuation of ALIENS would be either go to a fully infested planet or to show the Weyland/Yutani weapons program and then the application of said program to whatever the story is. For instance what/who do they want to take over with their new bio weapon?
That's kinda what I was thinking. Maybe not the home world but a planet that had been overrun and fell to the aliens. A barren wasteland where an entire worlds population had been completed decimated by the aliens. And you could play that off several ways. It could be done as a planet slap full of aliens... or that they have all but died out and all that remains is a few aliens spread sparsely across a barren hive infested planet.
   It could be done as a derelict lands and eggs are deposited. Or the derelict crashes and eggs are disturbed.
  Which could either be shown as quick back story for explanation of what happened. Or that could be the reason the marines are headed to that planet... To help with eradication. But because they are so far away the planets inhabitants succumb to the infestation.
   This would spur heavy feelings and painful memories of her past crew mates falling to the dreaded species, prompting her to go into "ass kicker mode" again. Plus we would get to see what happens if they aren't stopped and the hive continues to multiply at a rapid rate. Maybe bring in several different hives pitting against each other for territory.
  This would all be done over a couple of sequels of course.

More popcorn [emoji12]
Do you think they should leave a hiveworld for an AVP movie.

pred169

Not now, no.

Yes that would be an interesting way to look at it but the question still remains how or why would you do it on LV 426? that's a bit cliche to me. I mean Blomkamp has already stated that the film will take place after the events in aliens. So if we're talking about doing an entire planet made of hive material that has been overrun with aliens then why would we go back to LV 426?
  Don't get me wrong i see where you're coming from and it's not a bad idea at all. But I don't think they'd be able to use LV 426 simply because there were terraformers there for over 40 years. They would have found some type of remains of a lost civilization. Building remains, fossilized skeletal remains,... something. I would suggest a different planet for this very reason.
  Maybe go back to LV 426 and find the derelict. Upon examination of the derelict (Which we've seen concept pics of) they stumble upon the coordinates of the another planet like earth. Maybe another one of those funky holographic videos where the engineers intercepted a distress beacon from this planet. Marines go to investigate and give aid but by the time they've arrived, the team back at the derelict learns that the engineers had planted the eggs on that planet and it's determined that the planet is now overrun with aliens. But because they are so far away the transmission doesn't reach the marines in time to stop them from landing.

pred169

Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jul 24, 2015, 01:45:02 PM
A Hiveworld of some variety would be nice though. I'd really like to see infestation on a larger scale.

Yeah I think the logical continuation of ALIENS would be either go to a fully infested planet or to show the Weyland/Yutani weapons program and then the application of said program to whatever the story is. For instance what/who do they want to take over with their new bio weapon?
That's kinda what I was thinking. Maybe not the home world but a planet that had been overrun and fell to the aliens. A barren wasteland where an entire worlds population had been completed decimated by the aliens. And you could play that off several ways. It could be done as a planet slap full of aliens... or that they have all but died out and all that remains is a few aliens spread sparsely across a barren hive infested planet.
   It could be done as a derelict lands and eggs are deposited. Or the derelict crashes and eggs are disturbed.
  Which could either be shown as quick back story for explanation of what happened. Or that could be the reason the marines are headed to that planet... To help with eradication. But because they are so far away the planets inhabitants succumb to the infestation.
   This would spur heavy feelings and painful memories of her past crew mates falling to the dreaded species, prompting her to go into "ass kicker mode" again. Plus we would get to see what happens if they aren't stopped and the hive continues to multiply at a rapid rate. Maybe bring in several different hives pitting against each other for territory.

More popcorn [emoji12]
No I don't want to see hive world in avp. It was started with aliens... I want to see it stay with and end with an alien film. Now the alien homeworld (if there is such a thing) yes. I wouldn't mind seeing that in another avp film. Maybe do a screen adaptation of avp three world war. Or something to that effect.
  Personally I just want to see a clan of preds capture a queen from a hive. That's the epic scene I'm waiting for.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: pred169 on Jul 24, 2015, 02:02:49 PM
Quote from: THE CITY HUNTER on Jul 24, 2015, 01:45:02 PM

More popcorn [emoji12]
No I don't want to see hive world in avp. It was started with aliens... I want to see it stay with and end with an alien film. Now the alien homeworld (if there is such a thing) yes. I wouldn't mind seeing that in another avp film. Maybe do a screen adaptation of avp three world war. Or something to that effect.
  Personally I just want to see a clan of preds capture a queen from a hive. That's the epic scene I'm waiting for.
I think the hiveworld would be in alien 6 because alien 5 would most likely be WY finding out about it that does not mean i am not worried about alien 5

Engineer

Quote from: pred169 on Jul 24, 2015, 01:56:51 PM
Not now, no.

Yes that would be an interesting way to look at it but the question still remains how or why would you do it on LV 426? that's a bit cliche to me. I mean Blomkamp has already stated that the film will take place after the events in aliens. So if we're talking about doing an entire planet made of hive material that has been overrun with aliens then why would we go back to LV 426?
  Don't get me wrong i see where you're coming from and it's not a bad idea at all. But I don't think they'd be able to use LV 426 simply because there were terraformers there for over 40 years. They would have found some type of remains of a lost civilization. Building remains, fossilized skeletal remains,... something. I would suggest a different planet for this very reason.
  Maybe go back to LV 426 and find the derelict. Upon examination of the derelict (Which we've seen concept pics of) they stumble upon the coordinates of the another planet like earth. Maybe another one of those funky holographic videos where the engineers intercepted a distress beacon from this planet. Marines go to investigate and give aid but by the time they've arrived, the team back at the derelict learns that the engineers had planted the eggs on that planet and it's determined that the planet is now overrun with aliens. But because they are so far away the transmission doesn't reach the marines in time to stop them from landing.

"Over 20 years" not 40... And it took them long enough to find the derelict which was out in the open, it didn't require much looking/digging to find it.

pred169

Quote from: Engineer on Jul 24, 2015, 02:26:20 PM
Quote from: pred169 on Jul 24, 2015, 01:56:51 PM
Not now, no.

"Over 20 years" not 40... And it took them long enough to find the derelict which was out in the open, it didn't require much looking/digging to find it.
Yes 20 my mistake. Thanks for correcting that. And yeah it did take them that long to find the derelict. But in the process of building the hadleys hope community you would think that during the excavation they would have found some type of remains or evidence of a past civilization. And it is possible to overlook something as large as the derelict out in the open. They found an entire Mayan city not too long ago that had been just previously overlooked. So it's possible. Unlikely....but possible.
  Besides I'm sure they sent out survey teams long before the terraforming crew arrived. I feel they would have done an atmospheric survey of types. Something that would check elemental levels as well as surface scans in an attempt to find any signs of life or previous life. Don't want to terraform a planet where all the former inhabitants died from extreme radiation poisoning. Missing the derelict in these scans would be easy but missing an entire city the size of Los Angeles or new york.....well that's another story.
  And that's what I'm proposing an entire planet that has fallen to the alien species. Collapsed buildings, decaying structures, etc..

Engineer

Ok so before we get off on the wrong foot, let me just say that I subscribe to the idea that LV 426 was always uninhabited; just like you.

However, I don't think we can logically say xenomorphine is wrong necessarily either. There is some evidence to suggest that lv 426 was previously inhabited in some source material. The script (which I haven't personally read, but someone posted text on another forum about this same sort of topic), had language to suggest that the egg chamber was subterranean, and not actually part of the derelict craft. The movie novelization (which I also have not read, but saw excerpts from it on the same forum), says this a little more explicitly. The material seems to be suggesting that lv 426 was, or might have been, a storage facility for the eggs similar to lv 223 in prometheus. There might not have been crumbling buildings scattered around, but in prometheus most of the structures were tunnels and subterranean caverns of artificial origin. I think it's reasonable to assume civilization might have existed on lv 426 before, maybe not widely distributed, but still might have existed nonetheless. But again, I like to think lv 426 was completely barren and uninhabited.

As for your other comment, relating to scanning lv 426 to determine whether it was suitable for terraforming, this might be off topic, but when you mentioned the radiation poisoning part it reminds me a little bit about something I previously (and recently) posted. If you haven't seen it already head to the link below; I'd love to hear some feedback from you and anyone else who might be interested! :-)

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=53083.0

Xenomorphine

Yeah, personally I'd prefer it to have always been uninhabited, but the rock formations were designed that way deliberately. If a future story wants to reveal LV-426 once was, in ancient times, an inhabited world which was reduced to a hive-covered Lovecraftian horror, I'd be fine with that.

I don't think Hadley's Hope would have necessarily uncovered anything, though. That would assume something was exactly underneath them. If there waere, say, an ancient network of tunnels, they would have probably just registered as natural caverns.

I always go back to how, technically, the egg chamber measurements have no way to fit inside what we saw of the derelict's hull. It's actually more plausible to interpret that scene as O'Bannon intended: It's somewhere the derelict docked to, possibly hollowed out by an even more ancient civilisation. I always found it intriguing that the chamber gives the impression of going on for possibly miles around that corner.

If someone were to start excavating beneath LV-426, who knows what they might find if they looked in the right place?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed