Other aliens in the Alien and Predator universe

Started by The Alien Predator, May 21, 2015, 07:50:36 PM

Author
Other aliens in the Alien and Predator universe (Read 26,026 times)

The Alien Predator

Quote from: happypred on Jun 15, 2015, 11:59:34 PM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on May 25, 2015, 05:11:43 PM
Does anyone have any info on aliens mentioned in South China Sea?

I think there was an armoured worm.

Anything else? Apparently the Predator stole a hoverboard from a different alien. Is that true?

Continent sized space behemoths with kaiju-sized offspring

Fungal aliens with hoverboards

Armoured worms the size of giant anacondas

Intelligent amphibians with tech as advanced as that of 21st century humans

Saurians

...a lot of interesting stuff in that novel. The predator also has a strong odour, which harks back to old EU stories like Predator Big Game

That is amazing!

Continent sized behemoths? Jesus Christ man... this galaxy loves variety.  :P

Thanks for sharing, happypred. I really appreciate that.

TheTrekman

When it comes to other aliens in the Alien/Predator universe, I tend to go by the same logic that if Aliens and Predators can share a universe because both are from 20th Century Fox movies, then other aliens featured in 20th Century Fox movies have the potential to be in the Alien/Predator universe as well.

Unfortunately, out of the nearly 40 20th Century Fox films featuring aliens, only 2 can be added to the Alien/Predator universe as is:

The Abyss

Solaris

If we can recon the Alien timeline so that Prometheus is set in 2193 and Alien in 2222, I would love to include Avatar in the universe as well:

Since Hollywood is all about remakes, I wouldn't mind 20th Century Fox remaking a couple of their old movies INTO the Alien/Predator universe.

Alien Nation might make a good addition if it's set in the time between Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection and have the Newcomers less humanoid:

And Enemy Mine if only to have the pit monster in the universe:

As for the Arcturians, I feel they should be a race of shapeshifters, mostly because the name drop in Aliens must have been a reference to the 1975 comic The Long Tomorrow written by Dan O'Bannon. It would also help to explain why gender doesn't matter when it's Arcturian. And judging by their appearance in the comic (NSFW - http://i.imgur.com/fGfbILK.jpg), I like to imagine the Arcturians in the Alien/Predator universe as an intelligent, peaceful, non-virulent, and less graphic expy of the Thing.

Who wouldn't want to get some of this Arcturian poontang?  :D

SpreadEagleBeagle

I absolutely loathe the idea of an Alien universe sprawling with intelligent life, which is one of many reasons I dislike the AvP universe and EU stuff. The endless desolate hostile darkness of space portrayed in ALIEN is unique compared to other sic-fi movies and franchises. We don't need another Starwars or Star Trek.

THE CITY HUNTER

Maybe some new alien up like the engineers had technology and different aliens maybe like the many from SS2  maybe the predators had different preys as well.Check out his forum i made and think of ideas Remnant fan idea in the A/P games section.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jul 18, 2015, 12:43:32 AM
I absolutely loathe the idea of an Alien universe sprawling with intelligent life, which is one of many reasons I dislike the AvP universe and EU stuff. The endless desolate hostile darkness of space portrayed in ALIEN is unique compared to other sic-fi movies and franchises. We don't need another Starwars or Star Trek.

Doesn't have to be sprawling but the idea of there being barely any sentient life in the galaxy is absurd to me, given the odds. I quite like the idea of the Engineer's being responsible for multiple lifeforms.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 21, 2015, 09:39:34 AM

Doesn't have to be sprawling but the idea of there being barely any sentient life in the galaxy is absurd to me, given the odds. I quite like the idea of the Engineer's being responsible for multiple lifeforms.

Agreed, there's approximately 200 to 400 billion stars in the Milky Way alone, and with the Engineers being shown seeding a planet, can one really assume humans are their only sapient creation?

It doesn't have to teem with sapient life, or it could sprawl with primitive sapient or sub sapient life yet show that space faring life is rare. And I don't really see this becoming another Star Trek, did you see any Arcturians on the Sulaco? I didn't.

The great thing about sapient life in the Alien universe, is that there's no such thing as a "universal translator". The only aliens that were really shown to kind of "understand" us through observing our interactions are the Predators.

Everything else makes its own noises, has its own language and so on. There's no humanoid aliens making V signs with their hands that's for sure.  ;D

Look at the River Ghost, assuming it's sapient or sub sapient, no way does that thing have a human sounding dialect at all.

That's what makes this universe unique to me, not a lot of mingling and interacting with other aliens, even the novels say these contacts are brief. So seeing humans try to even communicate with one would be interesting.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Jul 21, 2015, 07:38:15 PM

Agreed, there's approximately 200 to 400 billion stars in the Milky Way alone, and with the Engineers being shown seeding a planet, can one really assume humans are their only sapient creation?

It doesn't have to teem with sapient life, or it could sprawl with primitive sapient or sub sapient life yet show that space faring life is rare. And I don't really see this becoming another Star Trek, did you see any Arcturians on the Sulaco? I didn't.

The great thing about sapient life in the Alien universe, is that there's no such thing as a "universal translator". The only aliens that were really shown to kind of "understand" us through observing our interactions are the Predators.

Everything else makes its own noises, has its own language and so on. There's no humanoid aliens making V signs with their hands that's for sure.  ;D

Look at the River Ghost, assuming it's sapient or sub sapient, no way does that thing have a human sounding dialect at all.

That's what makes this universe unique to me, not a lot of mingling and interacting with other aliens, even the novels say these contacts are brief. So seeing humans try to even communicate with one would be interesting.

It makes it way scarier, more eerie and uncanny if there is pretty much no life out there other than us, except for maybe ancient traces of life now gone/extinct, and of course the Alien itself.

I'm ok with microbial life, primordial simple lifeforms and unimposing sub-sapient organism and such, but sapient creatures with their own cultures and technologies etc. just feels cheap and uninspiring to me. The cold, dark desolate harshness of space in Alien is what fascinated me in the first place.

The Runner

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jul 21, 2015, 09:15:56 PM

It makes it way scarier, more eerie and uncanny if there is pretty much no life out there other than us, except for maybe ancient traces of life now gone/extinct, and of course the Alien itself.

I'm ok with microbial life, primordial simple lifeforms and unimposing sub-sapient organism and such, but sapient creatures with their own cultures and technologies etc. just feels cheap and uninspiring to me. The cold, dark desolate harshness of space in Alien is what fascinated me in the first place.
x2!

The Alien Predator

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jul 21, 2015, 09:15:56 PM

I see where you're coming from with that and I also like to imagine that most of the life in that universe is composed out of microbial life to primordial simple life forms.

In the first book of the Titan Books trilogy, one of the characters mentions our excitement of having found mostly bacteria on other worlds including some in our solar system, then we found simple things like worms. Even in Prometheus, one of the deleted scenes shows the biologist really excited about just finding worms, also mentioning how "we mostly found single celled life".

So you're not far off, the galaxy in ALIEN is very empty and desolate, and the chance of encountering an intelligent life form is the same chance as getting struck by lightning in twenty seconds from now.

But you never know, that lightning bolt just might strike.  ;D

"Sea of Sorrows" explores how finding those alien ruins underneath LV 178 is a huge discovery for humanity just like the Arcturians were (and that's set in 2498, shows just how rare it is to discover ruins let alone more aliens). It's these small snippets of lore that make the story exciting for me. It doesn't go all Star Trek on us, but it shows "they exist" and makes you wonder how humans react and what impact it has on our society.

And speaking of the emptiness of space, could that be what motivated the Engineers to try and fill up the void?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I hate the idea of a naturally empty galaxy. It doesn't scare me and I don't find it eerie. However, I do love the idea that it used to be a teeming place and humanity finds ruins and death all around that. That is an infinitely more interesting and scarier idea. Whether that is a result of the Aliens or the Engineer's playing God and deciding to repopulate the galaxy with their own ideal species.

I don't think the presence of other sentient races diminishes the franchise in any fashion. If anything, it can make it more interesting whether it's seeing how other species react to the Aliens or seeing other Engineer creations, it just adds to the interest.

Xenomrph

There aren't many intelligent lifeforms in the galaxy even if you count the EU, as this thread demonstrates. We're a real far cry from Star Wars or Star Trek.

The Alien Predator

Exactly, Xenomrph.

And contact with them is very brief too.

Also like Hicks said, it really adds to the internet. These ruins in the recent trilogy added some fresh air, we see they're not Space Jockey ruins but of another species. It brings up some things to speculate about. And speaking of Space Jockeys, we knew right from the beginning that the galaxy was not empty.

Because let's be honest  the whole "empty universe" will get stale real fast. You can only do so many "Xenomorph infestation" stories before it becomes a "oh, it's another one... how original, can't they think of something else?" And if it has more aliens, that doesn't make it another Star Trek, due to the simple fact that an empty galaxy is nothing unique, if ALIEN was really empty, then it's just another DUNE, Firefly/Serenity etc.

One of my friends said how the Predator stuff is becoming too same-y, always a hunt. And he's right, each film was some kind of a hunt with some of them adding some teases into their culture but that's about it. I don't mind this repetitive hunt formula just like you don't mind the repetitive xeno infestation or "single xeno in ship/prison" settings as we are fans of this franchise. But a little evolution is not bad if it's done right.

So the Engineers were a huge air refresher for the franchise and have opened up many new doors to divert from just another hunt or infestation.

Personally I don't mind the direction they are taking, so long as the universe is enriched with interesting new lore to be immersed in.

SpreadEagleBeagle

...Looks like we're deeply divided on this issue, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's evenly divided 50-50.

Born Of Cold Light

How could the Aliens have evolved the way they did without hosts to gestate inside?  Every part of their biology indicates that they evolved on a planet where natural competition was incredibly fierce, far more so on Earth.  Now I do think that it's possible that they somehow left their planet (possibly due to Engineers or Predators or someone/something else) and that no other lifeforms could successfully oppose them.  In that case, Earth could be a lone oasis of diverse life sitting in a cosmic boneyard.  This is a pretty cool, creepy idea.

One compromise would be to have remnant civilizations clinging to life on the edges of the galaxy.  Heavily inbred beings that once had great civilizations, but who were reduced to savagery through the actions of xenomorphs or Engineers.  Creatures akin to the Morlocks in H.G. Wells' Time Machine.  These are being that just barely get by, who live hand to mouth, who have just enough people around to keep the species going, and who are constantly living in the shadow of the Aliens.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Jul 22, 2015, 08:36:11 PM
How could the Aliens have evolved the way they did without hosts to gestate inside?  Every part of their biology indicates that they evolved on a planet where natural competition was incredibly fierce, far more so on Earth.  Now I do think that it's possible that they somehow left their planet (possibly due to Engineers or Predators or someone/something else) and that no other lifeforms could successfully oppose them.  In that case, Earth could be a lone oasis of diverse life sitting in a cosmic boneyard.  This is a pretty cool, creepy idea.

This is what I indirectly was getting at, but I was, and am, too lazy to pen it down as eloquently as you just did. Good job.

QuoteOne compromise would be to have remnant civilizations clinging to life on the edges of the galaxy.  Heavily inbred beings that once had great civilizations, but who were reduced to savagery through the actions of xenomorphs or Engineers.  Creatures akin to the Morlocks in H.G. Wells' Time Machine.  These are being that just barely get by, who live hand to mouth, who have just enough people around to keep the species going, and who are constantly living in the shadow of the Aliens

Meh. I still like the idea of a desolate almost dead universe. It makes one believe that there is more to the Alien than we know. Did the Alien kill all life in the universe, but how? Or is the Alien the only survivor after some unfathomable catastrophe, war or anomaly that wiped all life away, except for us and the Xenomorph? It makes it all more enigmatic, brooding and nightmarish to me. The thought of us being alone in the universe (not counting this eyeless psychosexual monster lurking in the shadows), almost inflicts panic in me. We're alone, and thus when we die (...are extinct), that's it! No one will know of our existence, it's as if we never existed at all. That makes the universe one unforgiving indifferent son of a bitch - an endless and eternal abyss where a creature like the Alien will survive as it mirrors the all of that. An incarnation of space (...hence the original name, Star Beast).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed