Other aliens in the Alien and Predator universe

Started by The Alien Predator, May 21, 2015, 07:50:36 PM

Author
Other aliens in the Alien and Predator universe (Read 25,977 times)

Naginata

^ This is far and away my least favorite aspect of Prometheus.

My headcanon is that the white giants were uplifted 'go-betweens' created by the ACTUAL Engineers to watch over the progress of humanity. They'd have created similar uplifts on any world that developed sentient life as a power check; wouldn't do to wake from a quick thousand year nap to find the kids have spread well beyond where you wanted them.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Naginata on Oct 04, 2018, 03:17:08 AM
^ This is far and away my least favorite aspect of Prometheus.
Well I mean, I think it's an interesting science fiction idea, not necessarily a good *Alien* idea. :P

That's one of my main problems with Prometheus - it's got a lot of cool ideas and themes and philosophy spinning around in it, with a lot of potential for interesting stories, but it's hamstrung by being saddled with 'Alien' baggage and it doesn't do itself or the Alien series any favors.

Wweyland

Just played the Predator campaign in Aliens vs. Predator 2 after about 15 years. There were giant skeletons of Earth Worms that seemed to dig the tunnels later used as Alien hives. Seemed similar to the sandworms in Dune.

Master Chief

Quote from: Wweyland on Oct 04, 2018, 01:51:41 PM
Just played the Predator campaign in Aliens vs. Predator 2 after about 15 years. There were giant skeletons of Earth Worms that seemed to dig the tunnels later used as Alien hives. Seemed similar to the sandworms in Dune.
Gandalf called them were-worms. ;)

Wysps

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 04, 2018, 01:13:51 AM
Quote from: Naginata on Oct 03, 2018, 11:05:37 PM
Quote from: Frosty Venom on Oct 03, 2018, 04:58:57 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Oct 03, 2018, 04:14:35 AM
"Alpha race" is pure fan-fiction.
Other sentient races beyond humans degrade the Alien universe. IMO

What about all the possible planets seeded by Engineers?

Just because they were seeded with life doesn't mean sentient life arose.
An interesting ramification from 'Prometheus' that I kinda wish they'd explore is that if humans were seeded by the Engineers and we have 100% identical genetic material, what if other worlds got seeded with the same identical material? Wouldn't that mean there are other "humans" living elsewhere in the galaxy, totally oblivious of Earth, or that they're not unique?

In the Alien universe, that wouldn't be a far stretch.  The whole Engineers seeding concept seems to give way to that line of reasoning.  It just gives off a very Twilight Zone vibe (in a bad way), where there are a bunch of "humans" living elsewhere in the galaxy.  Odd, and unfitting.

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Oct 03, 2018, 04:05:49 AM
What does everyone think of the Drukathi though? It kind of confused me when we discovered yet another ancient advanced alien race that uses biomechanical technology. How would they fit into the established lore with the Engineers? Their physiology seems too different to have been seeded by Engineers. Could they be an alpha race to the Engineers or simply another creation of the Alpha race?
I know they were first introduced in reference to Aliens, but in the trilogy they really had more of an impact - lore-wise - on the Predator side of the story and driving the Incursion plot forward, without much thought being given to how it impacted the Alien side of things.  So, it could be that Tim first introduced them as an Alien-specific species, but then backtracked and decided they'd fit more appropriately with Predator.  Because of their advanced technology, I see them sort of as a "Krell" type race from Forbidden Planet. 

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Naginata on Oct 03, 2018, 11:05:40 PM
Quote from: Frosty Venom on Oct 03, 2018, 04:59:00 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Oct 03, 2018, 04:14:35 AM
"Alpha race" is pure fan-fiction.
Other sentient races beyond humans degrade the Alien universe. IMO

What about all the possible planets seeded by Engineers?

Just because they were seeded with life doesn't mean sentient life arose.

Wysps

Yes, but it wouldn't be a far stretch that sapient life did arise at some point. It's within the realm of reason.

The Old One

The Old One

Judging by what we know of the cosmos, a planet for human-esque life to even develop upon would be difficult to locate.

Even if there are other humans out there; The Expanse Style there won't be many, if any.
We may be the one the Engineers lost, or the one that was so unadvanced at the time- the Pathogen never got to us.

Who knows.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed