Alien 5 won't be titled Alien 5, won't tread on Prometheus 2

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Mar 21, 2015, 02:48:51 PM

Author
Alien 5 won't be titled Alien 5, won't tread on Prometheus 2 (Read 74,382 times)

NetworkATTH

What's interesting is that, while this is something new for a Western audience, other franchises outside of the US, more specifically the Godzilla Franchise, have done these things before, numerous times.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Apr 08, 2015, 05:05:40 PM
What's interesting is that, while this is something new for a Western audience, other franchises outside of the US, more specifically the Godzilla Franchise, have done these things before, numerous times.

And it would be fantastic if the Alien films could enjoy the same stature, respect, and critical acclaim that the Godzilla movies do.

RakaiThwei

And someone OTHER than myself sees what's possibly happening here!  :laugh:

Bio Mech Hunter

Make that three of us. ;)

Also, the Ultraman series has done this many times.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Bio Mech Hunter on Apr 08, 2015, 11:57:08 PM
Make that three of us. ;)

I knew I wasn't crazy and alone in thinking this was what could be happening!

I wanted to address this.. there are some Western franchises which have done this. Namely, Halloween, Robocop and Highlander. Just to name a few. Might as well add Alien-Predator to that list.

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Apr 08, 2015, 11:00:53 PM
And it would be fantastic if the Alien films could enjoy the same stature, respect, and critical acclaim that the Godzilla movies do.

Considering that Godzilla has a very strong following in the West and East, even having a convention in the franchise's honor, G-Fest, I would say that Godzilla does have quite the stature, respect and acclaim which Alien does. Also if you like that metaphorical bull in your movies, Godzilla has that too.. Namely the original 1954 and 1985 sequel.

Just sayin'.

SiL

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Apr 08, 2015, 11:00:53 PM
They pretty much do. Starts off with world renowned cinema and devolved into cheesy horseshit. Then got kind of better but not really later on.

Nightmare Asylum

It isn't new here either, though. Superman did it. Numerous slasher franchisees did it.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 09, 2015, 01:48:44 AM
It isn't new here either, though. Superman did it. Numerous slasher franchisees did it.

Already named one of them!

HuDaFuK

Doesn't change the fact I don't want it to happen to Alien. It just feels... cheap.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 09, 2015, 07:33:55 AM
Doesn't change the fact I don't want it to happen to Alien. It just feels... cheap.

Indeed. Was never arguing it didn't happen. Just that didn't want it to happen because of above.

T Dog

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 09, 2015, 07:46:35 AM
Indeed. Was never arguing it didn't happen. Just that didn't want it to happen because of above.

I have to ask... how does having more than one continuity cheapen things? If anything, I think it's liberating. Why be a slave to it when creators and fans can pick and choose where to continue from as far as here on in is concerned?

SiL

Especially in a series that's followed a single storyline, it makes an major event fairly f**king pointless and largely takes the edge off of, well, everything.

"Oh no, my favourite character died! Hope they make another one later where they didn't."

It's also pretty hard to immerse an audience into any sort of universe when they're constantly aware of alternate timelines they could be watching instead. Alien sells its fantastical elements by trying to make its world feel real -- how the hell do you manage that when your opening scene basically amounts to "BUT WHAT IF THAT OTHER STUFF DIDN'T HAPPEN?"

That's not reality, that's shitty fanfiction.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

^^ As above. I know that this is all just fiction but the series carried itself in a very serious fashion. Alien is often applauded because of its realism, the way the characters felt like genuine people, how a big deal wasn't made of all the fantastic technology, etc. It was grounded in realism. Every film had an impact, something that effected that made-up reality.

For all Resurrection's flaws, I thought Ripley's return was one of the more interesting things and cloning never felt out of place in that reality. We can clone now.

This isn't grounded in reality. Or in the reality of the series. It's not like Star Trek or Stargate where they have access to other timelines where things went differently.

Don't get me wrong, I will watch the film and I'll be happy to see Hicks back and if it's an awesome film, all the better. But I'll always be disappointed at taking this particular angle.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 10, 2015, 07:11:45 AMI know that this is all just fiction but the series carried itself in a very serious fashion. Alien is often applauded because of its realism, the way the characters felt like genuine people, how a big deal wasn't made of all the fantastic technology, etc. It was grounded in realism. Every film had an impact, something that effected that made-up reality.

Particularly this. People keep bringing up Godzilla or superhero and horror film series that have done retcons, but tonally they come across as totally different to the Alien series. They're just a different kettle of fish. No one talks about the serious continuity of Halloween. No one cares about the over-arching story of Godzilla, after the first couple it's just about big monsters smashing stuff up (which applies equally to the retcon series). Superhero stories are notorious for arbitrarily undoing things like death (a reason I generally dislike the genre - if characters just come back all the time, what threat does death pose?)

Alien is different to those franchises. The films, despite being sci-fi, are grounded in a very serious reality and form a continuous story, half of which they're apparently now saying, "Nah, didn't happen." I just don't personally think an alternate-history retcon fits into the Alien franchise in an intelligent way. It really does come off as cheap fanfic stuff. I mean, they could so easily just ignore the current films and go somewhere else in an unobtrusive way, and make a great film. So why go down the route of just writing off stuff when it cheapens everything?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed