WHERE IS NEWT?

Started by CainsSon, Mar 02, 2015, 10:29:06 PM

Author
WHERE IS NEWT? (Read 5,776 times)

Feeds On Minds

Feeds On Minds

yeah "normal life" for Newt would be foster care with strangers.  There's no chance in hell that Ripley would have been granted custody of Newt.  Ripley has NO money or means to support herself; let alone a small child who is going to need YEARS of therapy for what she's just gone through.  Then there's the legal ramifications of Ripley's actions.. 1st, she is linked to the destruction of the Nostromo and suspicious deaths of it's entire crew.  Then, she's linked to the destruction of Hadley's Hope and suspicious deaths of all who live there.  Those terraformers are going to have families who want answers; it would be in WY's best interest to cover up all involvement and manufacture a story pining the whole thing on "that crazy woman who's behavior is starting to show signs of a disturbing pattern."  Ripley and Hicks are arrested and given life sentence for their "crimes", while Newt is placed in a company foster home and carefully watched to make sure she doesn't talk.

Vers

Vers

Quote from: Ash 937 on Mar 03, 2015, 02:31:23 AM
If I had to choose, I'd rather see Bishop return than Newt.  Where is Lance Henriksen in all of this retcon talk???

He's essentially going to have to play the same character as in Alien 3 if he's in it lol. Unless it takes place after he gets his new legs.

OWLF

OWLF

Juno Temple would be a good choice to play an older Newt.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Amanda Ripley on Mar 03, 2015, 05:18:03 AM
http://i.imgur.com/PijVyIH.png

I agree on this. She would be great.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

"Re: WHERE IS NEWT?"

In heaven?

Born Of Cold Light

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Feeds On Minds on Mar 03, 2015, 03:11:34 AM
yeah "normal life" for Newt would be foster care with strangers.  There's no chance in hell that Ripley would have been granted custody of Newt.  Ripley has NO money or means to support herself; let alone a small child who is going to need YEARS of therapy for what she's just gone through.  Then there's the legal ramifications of Ripley's actions.. 1st, she is linked to the destruction of the Nostromo and suspicious deaths of it's entire crew.  Then, she's linked to the destruction of Hadley's Hope and suspicious deaths of all who live there.  Those terraformers are going to have families who want answers; it would be in WY's best interest to cover up all involvement and manufacture a story pining the whole thing on "that crazy woman who's behavior is starting to show signs of a disturbing pattern."  Ripley and Hicks are arrested and given life sentence for their "crimes", while Newt is placed in a company foster home and carefully watched to make sure she doesn't talk.

Ripley had the job moving cargo at Gateway, it probably didn't pay alot but she might have been able to support Newt and herself on that and any government benefits she got.  As for therapy, Newt would definitely need it but let's be honest, Ripley would probably be the only person who truly understood her and could probably help her more than any therapist.  As for your final point, I could see the Company trying to pull that, but if Ripley and Hicks were able to get data concerning what happened at Hadley's Hope to the right people, Ripley might end up being a hero and the executives of WY being tried for crimes against humanity.  Ripley might in fact have gotten a big payout from it (maybe even more if the truth of the Nostromo got out).

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

If we're playing the alternate history game, and assuming there was no happy ending since this is evidently a sequel? Then yes, I think with Ripley, Hicks, Bishop and Newt all alive to testify, they would all have received a major payoff to keep quiet. Though I suspect Ripley at least wouldn't've taken it, and would've been disgraced and dragged through the mud to discredit her in the public eye, Hicks likely along with her. Newt I'm assuming would have been shipped off to family.

I can, unfortunately, see Blomkamp sending either Ripley or Hicks or both to some black site prison and having them bust out at the opening of his film. That's also something that could have happened in that future corporatocracy. I just find it a bit cliche to have them either imprisoned or hiding in the underground, I've seen that movie many times (including with Cameron's own T2).

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I've never heard of her before. The resemblance is uncanny.

I imagine if Hicks and Ripley are in it then we might seen an adult Newt. I can't see it being out the realms of possibility.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

If it's what we think it is, I would expect Newt to cameo, maybe.

ash9426

ash9426

Perfect casting choice right there :)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 03, 2015, 05:30:14 AM
"Re: WHERE IS NEWT?"

In heaven?
I'd check a few closets first. :P

Fujimaster

Fujimaster

Here she is...the actual Carrie Henn....today

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I'd rather an unknown be cast - and if they're going to reference Ripley and Hicks being older (which isn't a given), then they'd have to cast a teenager or twenty-something actress.

But, yeah, I'd rather an unknown actress be given a chance. Plenty of them out there.

And absolutely not 'J-Law'... The woman is f**king everywhere.

Hell, if something's gone funky with Ripley's/hicks' cryotubes, then they can just as easily set it many decades later and say Newt's was even more affected. Rebecca could be of a similar age to Ripley. I'm not sure that would be a wise decision, though... Mentally, she'd still be a child.

Of course, if they're using the original comics as a template for this, then Rebecca could have been placed in care, only for Hicks to discover she's been treated very badly. It's ironic, but it's essentially the same storyline Linda Hamilton performed so well in 'Terminator 2', many years later. But, yeah, she could be a hard-edged, strung-out traumatised train wreck, not too dissimilar from how Ripley was at Gateway.

And, honestly, considering the director's preference for social commentary, I could see him exploring some kind of narrative on poor standards of mental healthcare. It's there if he wants to use it.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 03, 2015, 01:15:34 PM
Of course, if they're using the original comics as a template for this, then Rebecca could have been placed in care, only for Hicks to discover she's been treated very badly. It's ironic, but it's essentially the same storyline Linda Hamilton performed so well in 'Terminator 2', many years later. But, yeah, she could be a hard-edged, strung-out traumatised train wreck, not too dissimilar from how Ripley was at Gateway.

I was thinking about this recently - considering the hatred of Alien 3 for destroying the atomic family of Aliens, would people be happy to actually see that family split up and damaged like that.

Especially as Alien 3-2 seems to be about "repairing" Aliens.

Russ

Russ

Is it possible that Rippers will bite the dust (again) in this film? And Hicks as well - I don't think the hate for A3 comes from their deaths, it was the handling of it. People die in Alien movies - that's a given, but they were hand-waved to serve the plot in the most unsatisfying way possible (this is kind of my version of your Dream Sequence dislike, Hicks).

Leaving them alive (especially Rippers) opens the door to "what did she do next" - and they can't exterminate the Alien species (or they will lose out on further sequels).

Also - the suicide bomb vest - that's an indicator of NB's thinking (I reckon, anyway).

Unless they make it to some untouched colony, "far away from all of this," but I don't feel it could end that way? And I don't think it will end up with them in Hypersleep.

They could do "The Thing" ending with them having been facehugged and wandering off, sitting somewhere eyeing each other waiting for the inevitable, I suppose. That'd be bleak. Last line: "A long time ago, you promised me that if it came to this, you'd do us both." Close on Hicks. Close on Ripley. Slow crane shot. Fade out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed